Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Can you be more specific to what "disable them" applies to MagiK? The pop-up windows? The startup programs?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:29 PM   #12
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Can you be more specific to what "disable them" applies to MagiK? The pop-up windows? The startup programs?
To disable startup programs get yourself a registry editor. Regcleaner is very good (not M$ Regclean!) and check what programs start when booting. You can find regcleaner here. Norton Internet Security 2003 has a built in pop-up blocker as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #13
WillowIX
Apophis

And here is a site that lists all the startup programs. http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm
Old 05-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Thanks all. Willow, that site is very helpful, especially the introductory page.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:24 PM   #15
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
The msconfig lets you adjust many of the confiruable things involved with the machines start up TL. You can disable the start up programs, control the ini processing and stuff...kinda handy really and WAY less dangerous than mucking around in the registry..

Old 05-07-2003, 11:17 PM   #16
ZeroTolerance
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I usually go to start, then run and type in msconfig then click ok.Go to the startup tab and uncheck the programs you don't want to start with windows.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:57 AM   #17
Annatar
Mephistopheles

I just re-installed my computer for the fourth time (in 2 days, formatting and all)

But about the topic, I always use msconfig to counter all the software that is loaded when I start windows, its SO annoying if you see what loads (most of it is worthless and slows down your pc because they need to update [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] )

Use msconfig instate of the regedit (its easier and much saver if your un-common in the windows registry)
Old 05-08-2003, 03:23 AM   #18
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Pc-cillin works fine for me under XP [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Personally speaking, I consider the occasional unprompted popup offering virus/programme updates a positive benefit. How else do I know that I am keeping up-to-date with solutions to the latest crap that the script kiddies have thrown in my direction

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-08-2003, 06:06 AM   #19
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
The msconfig lets you adjust many of the confiruable things involved with the machines start up TL. You can disable the start up programs, control the ini processing and stuff...kinda handy really and WAY less dangerous than mucking around in the registry..
Two points about msconfig. Not all versions of windows have it and more importantly, not all programs can be configured from it. And yes it is dangerous to edit the registry if you don´t know what you are doing. BUT if you only want to edit your startup list there is absolutely no danger involved. Using an editor like regcleaner is of course easier than regedit. [img]smile.gif[/img] You also get the option to clean out the registry with regcleaner. A task it performs way better than any version of norton windoctor. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 06:33 AM   #20
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

MSCONFIG is the best way to go unless you are absolutely sure of what you're doing in the registry.

Windoctor is very useful for deleting invalid registry entries. Its smart enough to know that a program has been uninstalled and will help you delete the entries along with invalid Shortcuts. There are a few exceptions to this. For example: when you install Baldurs Gate 2, there are a BUNCH of registry entries that appear to be invalid UNTIL you install the patch. Once thats done Windoctor will no longer sees them as invalid.

Instead of cleaning the registry, try msconfig first. disabling programs from startup is the goal, not removing them from the registry (which means they will not work properly until the program is re-installed)

Did I explain that well? [img]tongue.gif[/img]