Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Trying to set up an inhouse game of Baldur's Gate 1, with my girlfriend, and can't get her to connect to my game. Tried every tcp/ip address listed, and she can't connect to the game. Why not? What do I have to do to set this up?
Old 06-28-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Im assuming you have a proper LAN setup and know that it works. If not, this is going to get more complicated.

Normaly, getting multiplayer BG1 going is a matter of starting the sever on the host computer, and then starting the client and giving it the IP address of the host. To get that IP address bring up a DOS box and type 'Ipconfig', the address you want is in the range 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x , assuming your LAN is setup normaly.

If that dosent work, post more details of your system.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

both computers are setup through a cable modem, would a firewall prevent playability? Also, we are in the same room together, and the modem sits on my desk. Don't have any idea if this config will even work, but...
Old 06-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Yes, a Firewall does influence the playability, so my guess is that you've pinpointed the problem yourself. You need to change the settings of your firewall if you want to play online games.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

So both computers are plugged into the cable modem, which presumably has some form of router built in.

Do you have any form of networking between the two at present? Network shares, shared printers?

It should be possible to get this working, depends on the cable modem. See if you can find the manual, it might have something to say about it.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:21 PM   #6
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ALSO, both games have to be exactly the same. Not necessarily the same edition, but the same patches installed or any other modifications you may have made to the original game. Bardan and I multi-play all the time. It's a simple thing to overlook.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 06-30-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
ALSO, both games have to be exactly the same. Not necessarily the same edition, but the same patches installed or any other modifications you may have made to the original game. Bardan and I multi-play all the time. It's a simple thing to overlook.
That was the first thing I did, after getting her set up. All patches are on, and both are clean installs, with no mods. Just one more thing to make me go bald.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:29 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Are you running ICS or a dedicated network router or hub?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:27 AM   #9
andrewas
Harper

Post model numbers of everything on your LAN that isnt a PC. By which I mean the modems, routers, hubs, and any other weirdness you may have plugged into it.

The outputs of ipconfig run on each machine might help as well. Type ipconfig->ipconfig.txt at a dos prompt to put the output into a file called ipconfig.txt , which will wind in the current directory, so type cd\ first to make sure it goes into the root of the drive where you can find it easily. Then just paste it over.