Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2002, 07:21 AM   #1
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

We're still digging out from 'the worst ice storm in recorded history' (according to Kansas City MO). I've posted a couple pics on pg. 4 of Holidays/Sights at Stealthy's if anyone cares to get a *glimpse* of the damage. Trust me, this ain't the half of the damage!!! The second picture is taken next to our house...the town owns a horse arena where the annual fair and other equestrian events are held and this is the west side (to the direct south adjacent to our side yard). The other shows a lone tree and is indicative of the damage that has nearly decimated the town's trees. As I write, the limbs which miraculously haven't snapped are showering over an inch of ice over the ground.

The old advertisement is right--it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2002, 07:47 AM   #2
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Sounds like you got the worst of the storm Garnet. Here in Nebraska we got approximately 10" of snow. No ice or hail...just snow and more snow. I hope the damage where you are isn't too bad. I have heard there are 100,000 folks without electricity.

All praise the Big Kahouna, Momma Nature has asserted herself again.

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Wulfere ]

Old 02-01-2002, 08:03 AM   #3
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Well, we were supposed to get snow on top of the ice, but it never materialized (whew!). I was talking to the tree-trimming company yesterday who sub-contract with the elect. co. and were out clearing lines and they reckon that we have the least damage they've seen thus far! (I find that unbelievable--you should see the trees without most of their limbs and bushes that are simply gone....all the warm weather had caused trees and flowers to bud out and now they're encased in over an inch of ice.) The further north you go--and we're talking each mile literally!--the more ice, the slicker the roads (it rained here and so the roads stayed wet but never froze. Here we were totally without power for 24 hrs--but they had predicted it to be 3-4 *days*. The only reason we were restored so quickly was the fact that our power supply comes from two different directions and the perimeters of town retained electricity fulltime. There are still numerous lines down, tho.

I just saw on the tv news that Kansas City is still reporting over 150,000 ppl in the metro area alone without power (was 185,000 just a few hours ago, so they're making progress) but the rest may have to wait up to a full week. And that is *with* crews brought in from approx five other states to help!