Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #91
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Yeah, there's nothing wrong in taking some crack, I'm your friend, I wouldn't give you drugs if it was a good idea, try it it's fun!

Seriously, I'm actually ashamed I was so blinded I didn't realise how wow really was. Sure, it look nice, and they're good at getting you in, but once you're there it's just a big grind, it's the most mmorpg ever. Sure, every games has some grinding and time sink, but wow is just one big time sink, everything they do is about grinding.

You want to craft? You have to grind for material. You want a mount? You have to grind. You want to pvp? More grinding. You want decent items? Grinding.

I spent hundred of hours to get my blue set, I ran stratholme, scholomance etc every day for months to finally complete my set. What did I do when I got it? I started all over again for my purple set. I had 9-10 or so epic items if I remember right, I spent on average 30 or so hours raiding for each. What did we do after hundred hours when we mastered Molten Core and Onyxia? Moved on the the newest instance. Now I'm sure my old guild is drooling at the thought of spending more hundread of hours doing the newest raid over and over again until they finally are ready to move on to the next after that.

Did I have fun doing that? I guess at first, the first 2-3 times, until I knew the tricks of every bosses. When he spam x message stand there, if he spam this one do that. It's always the same thing, there's nothing new. You go in the new dungeon, stand around for 5-6 hours every night, and learn what reaction you must do when the monster say or do something, it's so basic you could train a monkey to do it, except he wouldn't stand around for 5-6 hours every day.

And now, what do I have to show for the thousands of hours I spent playing warcraft? What did I get working on getting characters to 60, killing the same monsters over and over again for reputation, the hours I spent looking for components and raising my crafting skills, farming cash for mounts and elite items? Nothing. I didn't play a game, there was no real gameplay, I simply worked a repetitive job so that I could raise numbers in a program, I simply worked for blizard, but instead of them paying me, I paid them to work for them.
This is an incredibly honest and true post. Thanks Luvian.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #92
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Yeah, there's nothing wrong in taking some crack, I'm your friend, I wouldn't give you drugs if it was a good idea, try it it's fun!

Seriously, I'm actually ashamed I was so blinded I didn't realise how wow really was. Sure, it look nice, and they're good at getting you in, but once you're there it's just a big grind, it's the most mmorpg ever. Sure, every games has some grinding and time sink, but wow is just one big time sink, everything they do is about grinding.

You want to craft? You have to grind for material. You want a mount? You have to grind. You want to pvp? More grinding. You want decent items? Grinding.

I spent hundred of hours to get my blue set, I ran stratholme, scholomance etc every day for months to finally complete my set. What did I do when I got it? I started all over again for my purple set. I had 9-10 or so epic items if I remember right, I spent on average 30 or so hours raiding for each. What did we do after hundred hours when we mastered Molten Core and Onyxia? Moved on the the newest instance. Now I'm sure my old guild is drooling at the thought of spending more hundread of hours doing the newest raid over and over again until they finally are ready to move on to the next after that.

Did I have fun doing that? I guess at first, the first 2-3 times, until I knew the tricks of every bosses. When he spam x message stand there, if he spam this one do that. It's always the same thing, there's nothing new. You go in the new dungeon, stand around for 5-6 hours every night, and learn what reaction you must do when the monster say or do something, it's so basic you could train a monkey to do it, except he wouldn't stand around for 5-6 hours every day.

And now, what do I have to show for the thousands of hours I spent playing warcraft? What did I get working on getting characters to 60, killing the same monsters over and over again for reputation, the hours I spent looking for components and raising my crafting skills, farming cash for mounts and elite items? Nothing. I didn't play a game, there was no real gameplay, I simply worked a repetitive job so that I could raise numbers in a program, I simply worked for blizard, but instead of them paying me, I paid them to work for them.
This is an incredibly honest and true post. Thanks Luvian. [/QUOTE]Honest and true yes, but applies to GW or any other MMO. I look at my GW char and could think the same thing. I have nothing to show for it. Or I could think I have a develepoed char to show for it. Either way each game has numbers and I worked up thoise numbers in both GW and WoW. The question is which was more fun for me?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #93
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Is WoW vs GW your pet topic or something, SpiritWarrior? This is th third time I've seen you pull it out from nowhere...
Old 12-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #94
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Hmm, I guess you're mad or something now? If you are referring to the thread in Miscellanous RPG's where you so quickly responded, it wasn't me but Jorath who mentioned GW vs. WoW.

Do scroll up and see.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...985;p=1#000009

No idea what the other two times you speak of are. If by some chance another of these instances you speak of is in this thread, well this topic was created some time ago and again it wasn't me who brought it up. Scroll up and see who did. Actually just for fun...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
I still don't think this compares to Guild Wars.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Okay so where's the third strike? I can't wait.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #95
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I'm mad now? Huh?
Dude. Chill.

First count:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...203;p=1#000015 - yes, that one gets attributed to you.
Second count:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...985;p=1#000009 - referring to a thread you already turned into GW vs WoW.
Third count: this thread.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #96
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I am chilled, I just saw you jump from our discussion in MRPG to this thread, accusing me of starting GW vs WoW wars when clearly I am the last person to start them but the first to defend. I guessed you were mad or something *shrug*.

As far as your links...Bozos, I just addressed both these threads above. I never started either. Look at my post above yours. Look what I quoted. I did not make the first move, those rotten GW players did.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #97
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

*sigh* this is what? The third time this thread turn into a WOW vs GW debate?

All games, and especially MMORPGS, have time sink. MMORPG more than other games because they charge you for the time you play and want you to play forever without having to invest too much in making you stay.

I do think WOW is the biggest time sink, grind heavy game, and I've played tone of mmorpgs. I think this suck, because I really liked the early game and it had some great potential. I don't think it's a coincidence that pretty much every gamer that's vocal about wow is an ex wow player, and that before quiting they were vocal as wow fans. Blizzard did a great job hooking people up and hiding the time sink nature of the game. And to say they at first marketed this game as a casual player friendly game.

People talk about the "end game" as if it was actually the end of the game, but that's not true. Pretty much at least 50% of the content can only be done once your character is maxed. Being maxed is not the "end game". It's the actual game. Every levels before that is actually the post-game. Too bad the development time is being invested in the end game and time sinks, heh?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #98
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
*sigh* this is what? The third time this thread turn into a WOW vs GW debate?

Yep. And if I went around in every GW thread saying "Oh it doesn't compare to WoW" or "GW is for kids with no brains" I'd see people gathering up pitchforks. And then when I go to defend comments made in a post I am being accused of starting a GW vs. WoW war. Will I defend it? Sure. Like anyone who plays GW does. But I won't and I don't start it.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #99
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Good thing you got in before me Spirit, because I would have done the same [img]smile.gif[/img]

I believe the term is called "Flame baiting" and maybe it should be dealt with?

Oh wait, thats what the Moderators are for, and they seem to be against the game aswell
Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 PM   #100
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, I should have asked a moderator to delete the original comment and save myself the trouble of replying in defense of a game I play only to be accused of starting the war.