Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Okay so I got my Geforce FX 5200 AGP card! The thing is on the box it says that it is 8x AGP and 128 mb ddr ram. I've installed it and everything but when I click on the properties on the nvidia display settings and it reads it as a 64 mb ddr ram and 4x AGP. Even when i start up my computer it will tell me on the loading screen that it has 64 mb ddr ram. Is this normal or is there some strange reason that my system isnt reading it right or have I been dupped by the company I ordered it from!? Any help will be appreciated.

Windows XP Home
256 Ram
2.2 GIGS CPU
Old 12-09-2003, 04:27 PM   #2
Elif Godson
Dracolich

are you any good at going into the bios ? If not dont try it but if yes you will need to make the proper adjustments there, or there is th epossibility that the mother board can only go to x4

Good luck bud [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

He's right...I had to do something like that before...but I do not remember the details...but please keep us posted on your progress!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well, phoned PNY they told me to update my chipset. Did that and no change really. They said my AGP port may not support 8x (I can't find out if it does right now) but 4x should work fine. They could not explain the detecting of only 64mb on board video ram when it should be 128.

A question, the chipset is different altogether from the motherboard or are these the same thing? I know my chipset is intel and like I said, updated as much as I could but was wondering if I need to update the motherboard too. I always assumed the motherboard was hardware.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The motherboard is hardware, and while you can flash some updates (like BIOS), some things just can't be helped. I'd look at a couple of things:

1. Wander around in the BIOS setup and look for the video settings. There may be an AGP-level setting in there or something like that.

2. If you're able and/or adventurous, open the machine up and find the exact motherboard model number. Then check it against the manufacturer's web site (and docs) to see what specs it has.

3. Check the motherboard docs and see what jumpers and such are available. Sometimes, you need to adjust things.

4. Reseat the vid card. Sometimes that helps.

5. Take it to another machine that you know can support 8x AGP. If it boots properly there, it's related to your machine. If it doesn't, it may well be the card. The supplier of the card is a great person (company) to use for this test. "Hey, this doesn't seem to be working right on my machine. Can you put it in one you have around and make sure it boots at 8x and 128 MB?"

Failing that... it may well be time for a new motherboard. Or a new box, and lots of upgrades to go with it...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:31 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thanks for all the suggestions, buddy. I am indeed intending to fish around in the bios eventually but a mod over at the Bioware site told me I could safely ignore the incorrect detection, I'm guessing this is a known issue (?).

This system is only 7 months old so I don't really intend to upgrade it anytime soon, either ways It's a secondary system, that one. My primary is booming .

How do I get into the bios via XP - I have no experience with this whatsoever.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:58 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It is either F1 or F2. Cannot remember. Hit it on bootup, before Windows kicks in.

[ 12-10-2003, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-10-2003, 12:07 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I just ran a test. Here you go:

F1 / Advanced / Video Configuration

I have mine listed under that vid config as

AGP Aperture Size [64MB]
Priimary Video Adapter [AGP]

The [64MB] can be switched to a higher setting on mine, though I do not think I know if I should change mine...and the [AGP] can be changed to [PCI], and I do not know what that is either.

Anyway...that will get you there!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:29 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

The aperture size maybe the answer to his prob... [img]smile.gif[/img]

the primary video adapter should be of course AGP.. .look at pci and what will it find there right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

yes... usually if you cannot see the video card right specs at the start... it's usually the mobo. even with RAM... if your mobo cannot handle PC 400 and only 266, your PC 400 RAM will only run at 266... sucks but hey... it's time to switch mobos if that's the case... [img]smile.gif[/img]

flashing the bios is as they say dangerous, but as for the general outlook i don't think the bios can help since mobo is hardware, and not software... well... i really do not know about that one...

[ 12-10-2003, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Bahamut ]
Old 12-10-2003, 12:28 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ok so my AGP speed is 4x at max. I called dell and asked since I have no manual. The bios gives me no option to change the AGP or video settings. Mostly it talks about reserved IRQ's...blah.

But good news! I woke up and turned on my PC and there it was, detecting the card with 128mb both in the Nvidia tab and in the NWN's config utility. Strange thing is I did nothing, saved no changes to the Bios at all. Perhaps the system need to 'sleep on it' for awhile lol...Isn't that weird? I'm getting about 50fps on NWN's with this relatively 'budget' card, not bad eh? Anyways, thank you all for your help and I'm just glad it now detects what it should .