Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2001, 12:42 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:
Hehe yeah, I remember Ertai and Rikard's OHF threads when they were first organizing it and coming up with a name. They were like 60-70 post threads while all the other ones were 15 tops. I was around for a while back then, but then school called and I was away for a while. When I tried to come back it was a new board and my ID was gone so I didn't worry about it until recently. It was definitely a lot different back then, no sigs, mostly BG anf ToSC, with a W&W board off somewhere, and mucho speculation about BG2 and NWN. Everybdy was all excited about the Undermountain Project. Then we all got BG2 and things went kinda dead

Prime
You've got a long memory! You've been lurking for a while then.

------------------
Old 10-15-2001, 12:49 AM   #22
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I've been at Ironworks for one year this month (October 2000), although I'd play merry heck to remember what day it was! It was right after W&W came out, I know that much, which was Sept. 29, 2000, so I assume that it was probably mid-October when I became active at Wizards & Warriors.

Memnoch is right...Wizards & Warriors was (and still is, to some extent) its own little island; the third most active forum here at IW, although a far cry away from both Gen Con and BG2:SoA for actual posting activity. We W&W'ers were for a long time a very insular and close-knit group. Those of us who have made the migration to the rest of IW are myself, Moni, Adam Warlock, Skywalker (Mark), Mammawlin (who still posts from time to time), Lady Avalon, Davros, and probably quite a few more as well. This, of course, was about five months later and long after the UBB boards (the "new" forums) were established.

In February 2001, Ziroc created the Wizardry 8 forum, and in March, he enlisted me to be the moderator of that forum. Both Memnoch and Cloudy came in to hail the new "mod" on the block, and that was pretty much the first time I had come in contact with Gen Con, when I posted there for the first time on March 20, 2001. I then pretty much went back to W&W and Wizardry 8 and forgot about Gen Con for a few days when Cloudy came "storming" in (hehe) several of my "hideout" forums and told me to get my butt back over to Gen Con, that the original thread I had created had gone to 60+ posts and I needed to answer it! Well, this was unexpected. Up to that point, the viewpoint of most of us in Wizards & Warriors was that Gen Con was a wild, savage, untamed frontier that was filled with spammers (we had made several jokes at Gen Con's expense at the 1000+ "spam" post), and none of us had dared to set their noses in there. So I was a bit trepidatious about coming into Gen Con, but then I found everyone there to be very friendly. So, I began posting there, too.

Then Fljotsdale, who I think had just come onto the boards, had posted a request to find out how many female gamers were in Ironworks, so Cloudy put out an "APB" on the female gamers to come and post to Fljotsdale's thread. Thus, Moni, Lady Avalon, Mammawlin, and quite a few of our other W&W female gamers posted over there, and quite a few of them adopted Gen Con as their home. So did Skywalker and Davros. At the same time, we at Wizards & Warriors began attracting some of the Gen Con people, and Black Knight and Rude Dawg, among others, played and finished Wizards & Warriors. Charlie was going to start playing it, but then we lost touch. Cloudy STILL hasn't finished her game!

Then disaster struck in April 2001: the board went down for 2 1/2 weeks. When it came back up, there were several regulars missing. I had met 250 briefly before the "Great Crash", then when it came back up, no 250! It wasn't until several months later that he found us again. Leonis also disappeared after the "Great Crash". However, we started getting a lot more newcomers in after that.

I was made a mod at Gen Con in late May, 2001, and I guess the rest is history.

Whew, boy I've run on for quite some time now! I feel like I've recounted a major piece of history here. It's hard to believe it's been a year. As the Grateful Dead said, "What a long, strange trip it's been."

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-15-2001, 12:52 AM   #23
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think I originally join in maybe January 2001 on the old blue board.

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB
Laughing Hyena
Clan Illuminati
Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force
Official Scribe, Clan TLFB

Old 10-15-2001, 12:57 AM   #24
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I think in the hazy reaches of my memory, I remember a thread congratulating Memnoch for his newly-appointed status as a mod (couldnt have been THAT long ago) on the Blue Board. I think my first big defining post was against 250's Oriental BG2 party thread..
Phew Saz you're right. Its been a long and strange and twisted journey..
I hardly remember the short time when the boards came back up and 250 wasn't around..Then suddenly he came back and started posting with a vengence..
I bore witness to so many epic threads too.. like Charlie's Shoppe of Shite or something like that..
I must be the longest lurker in IW history..observing but never posting..

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-15-2001, 01:08 AM   #25
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
You've got a long memory! You've been lurking for a while then.

Yes indeed. I was supposed to be one of the original OHF members but I kinda disappeared and then most of the other ancients did too. I still see Larry around though
Old 10-15-2001, 01:51 AM   #26
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
At the same time, we at Wizards & Warriors began attracting some of the Gen Con people, and Black Knight and Rude Dawg, among others, played and finished Wizards & Warriors. Charlie was going to start playing it, but then we lost touch. Cloudy STILL hasn't finished her game!

That's ok. Cloudy still hasn't finished BG2, either.

------------------
Old 10-15-2001, 01:53 AM   #27
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
I think in the hazy reaches of my memory, I remember a thread congratulating Memnoch for his newly-appointed status as a mod (couldnt have been THAT long ago) on the Blue Board.
No, I was never a mod on the blue board. I became a mod here in March 2001.

------------------
Old 10-15-2001, 02:04 AM   #28
Rikard

ah the good ol' days when it was still quite...
earliest mod i think was Cocaospud the Dungeon craft Mod
But I'mmnot sure

Cloudy came back in December and had about 1700 by March
I myself had joined a year before you did and had about 500 posts in januari
going up to 1200 in march

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Druidic Sorcerer of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Spam Sentinal of the Ironworks
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 10-15-2001, 02:46 AM   #29
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well, I joined at around November... 2000? Anyway, I was known BaatoRyan, and I honestly forgot how I got here. It was a BG2 forum right? And after a few days, I just kept hanging out with the blue board. There was this battle that insanely for a very long time, the evil smiting thread by jerome and Tipsy, I couldn't forget that one... At this point, I got spoiled by that time by some guy I forgot his name, and when I asked questions, lordkymil was on the rescue

The board after I joined, was a silent one, but not anymore, the members before me, right before, and members after me, were all too sticky and stubborn that they couldn't separate business with pleasure We all mingled, all asked questions, I remember us, giving our advices, and then asking how the other guy/girl is after... it was heart-warming...

Then, of course, our first time BG2 careers were over, or coming to an end. We had bonded so strongly that even though we are done and not even playing our games, we were hanging out there, helping those who seek enlightenment, and hopinbg that those other people in league with us would stay

And they did.

This is where it all began. Then, we started making off-topic posts, and then we all had been pouring out our probs. I remember me posting there a prob (wow, it has been that long already?), and people replied in such a mature and serious manner taht shocked me. It made me feel warm and mushy on the inside, hoping that my RL friends could do that, or was wondering at that time, and all my doubts rested there, that I knew, if my friends weren't of any help, this board is.

Then, the board all of a sudden crashed one time. and then, lotsa posts got deleted, and then, there was no flood control, and then there was Bagger, and then, Cloudy joined and stromed the whole place!!! heehee and here we are!!!

Although he was highly regarded by me and forever more because of his attitude and wisdom, Armisael is not posting anymore... handling too much of his very busy RL i suppose... how many children does he have now I wonder...

------------------

Mithril Cavalier of ALSB
You almost had me? You never had me! You never had your car! It is not about winning by a mile or by an inch, its about winning.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:24 AM   #30
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I joined sometime after Memnoch, also November 2000 back in the Blue days. And I thought Cloudy had even more posts than a mere 1000, because I had over a thousand posts and was waaaay behind Cloudy and Black Knight and several others!

Right now, well I´m a bit "lurking" but since the mood here in GD is getting alot better lately I just popped in to say a little HOOOOoooOWl

Cya araound guys.. The grey lonely wolf will be back (but without corny accent! )

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper