Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2003, 10:51 PM   #1
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

I have two questions for Battle Squares:

I'm not quite understanding the way the levers work. Do I have to use the Rank 1 lever 5 times to complete that rank or do I just keep going up in rank levers one after another? Once I complete the first three battles that generate from the rank 1 lever, I can't use it again until I flip another lever. I guess I'm just not understanding how the levers work. Do I need to complete one level in each rank before moving on to the second level in each? I got the key so I'm not worried about not moving on. In its simplest form, I guess I need to know what order to flip the levers in.

And number two, any advice for killing water elementals? I've been able to handle everything so far, although the frost giants are tough if my HP are low. The beholder like thing that warps out of the room was a little tough too but I've learned to handle them. The water elementals get me every time.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:21 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Question 1: The goal is to control three squares in one line either diagonally, vertically or horizontally. If you have a line of three you have completed rank 1 of current level, if you have a line of three and a spare battle square you completed rank 2 of current level, and so on to rank 5 of current level with a total of 7 squares. Once you complete a level the screen should shake a bit, then go to the level selection levers and pull the next level lever. Good luck!
Question 2: Isn't it obvious? Fire.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:19 AM   #3
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Thanks, Bozos. Stupid me for not reading the directions. I was running around in circles flipping switches and not getting anywhere. Now I've completed Rank 5 through level 4. But I'm still having trouble with water elementals. I'm using a barbarian with dual-wield and he seems to get some hits in. I've only been able to kill one when I am at full HP and have been pretty well buffed. Otherwise, I can only get them down to "hurt" before I get killed. The only fire I have with the barb are potions and when I use those I get the message that the elmental was immune to my fire damage!?! The frost giants are a pain too. They're not hard to hit but they do some big damage.

Have most people used fighters/barbs in Battle Squares? What are the experiences of people using other classes?

Thanks again Bozos.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:38 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I can usually complete level 6 this time through. If you can't beat, don't worry, you get a chance later in the game, when you're like level 15 or so. I don't know about that fire stuff, I just state the obvious. NEver really used any fore spells for water elementals and servants. But generally spellcasters are good here with various shields(Death Armor, FireShield Red and Blue, Circle of Bones, Circle of Blades...) and paralysis spells(helpless targets can be hit automatically... almost every time) like the best spell of all: Chromatic Orb.
Try and see if Banishment has any effect on the creatures, haven't tried that one yet.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:53 PM   #5
motub
The Magister

Well, of course they (water elementals) are immune to your fire damage-- water puts out fire!

Electrical damage, however is a different story, as is acid (almost everything is vulnerable to acid). Poison is nice, too-- and sometimes you can get a lucky hit with the Club of Disruption (prize for completing Rank 6-- you do know you can do the ranks in any order you choose, right?) and actually vaporize them.

Best policy is to save after every battle (not every level or rank-- every single battle), so that if the next battle offers something you really can't beat (myself, I was terrible against Rehmorazes, seemed to have no fire resistance whatsoever, despite being an Aasimar), you can reload and hope you get something easy like a Shadow or Frost Giant.

Oh, wait, you were having trouble with Frost Giants? Run to the north door and into the hall. Run back in if you have to-- those giants are pretty stupid and won't always follow you very fast.

However, when they get there, they can't fit through the door, being too big. With a two-handed weapon, you can kill them easy, without them being able to touch you.

[ 12-08-2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: motub ]
motub is offline   Reply With Quote