Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2003, 11:02 PM   #1
Sakuri23
Dungeon Master

I know this may sound kind of silly, but my bard is at Level 8 and I wanted to check something before I get too far.. Does a bard automatically learn the songs or is there some other way to learn them? Also, when I have her sing, it doesn't really do anything that I notice.. Little notes show on the pictures of my characters. What do these notes mean? If anyone can help me, that would be great!

[ 08-13-2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Sakuri23 ]
Old 08-14-2003, 01:51 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakuri23:
I know this may sound kind of silly, but my bard is at Level 8 and I wanted to check something before I get too far.. Does a bard automatically learn the songs or is there some other way to learn them? Also, when I have her sing, it doesn't really do anything that I notice.. Little notes show on the pictures of my characters. What do these notes mean? If anyone can help me, that would be great!
It's automatic. Right-click on the Harp icon to change songs.

The notes means that your party members are being affected by the song. Compare the before and after statistics charts to see the difference.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Sakuri23,

This is based on my experience, with HoW installed.

Bards learn their songs automatically (just like Druids automatically obtain their new shapeshifting abilities as they level). As Dundee said, you right click on the harp icon then select which of the available songs you want to sing. The last song you select is the default song. left-clicking on the harp icon then toggles this song on and off (The song automatically stops if you ask the bard to do something else, like attack an enemy, cast a spell, etc.)

When the harp is outlined in red, the Bard is actually singing. The musical note icons you see on your party members' portraits show that the song is having an effect on them: the song is working! (The song only affects party members / enemies near the bard, and only if there are no intervening obstacles: If a party member moves just around the corner of a wall or rock, they will lose the benefits of the song, and this will show up as a loss of the note icon in their portrait.)

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 08-14-2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Sakuri23
Dungeon Master

Thankyou both for your help!

[ 08-14-2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Sakuri23 ]
Old 08-14-2003, 09:02 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

Sakuri23,

You are welcome.

You might not notice now, but the song is helping you. Here is what the songs do:

* The Ballad of Three Heroes: Bards start the game with the ability to play this ballad. When the Ballad of Three Heroes is played, all the bards allies gain +1 to hit, +1 damage, and +1 saving throws. It lasts as long as they continue playing. If they attempt to do something else (like move, attack, etc.) they stop playing.

* The Tale of Curran Strongheart: Bards gain this song at 3rd level. When the Tale of Curran Strongheart is being played, any fear effect on the bards' allies are removed and they gain an immunity to fear effects for as long as the song lasts.

* Tymora's Melody: Bards gain this song at 5th level. When played, Tymora's Melody gives the bards' allies +1 luck, +3 saving throws, and +10% to their lore skill and thief skills.

* The Song of Kaudies: Bards gain this song at 7th level. When the Song of Kaudies is played, the bards' allies gain a 50% chance to shrug off the effects of spells such as Silence, Shout, Great Shout, Command, or any other sound-based attacks.

* The Siren's Yearning: Bards gain the Siren’s Yearning at 9th level. When played, the bards’ enemies must save vs. spell or be enthralled, unable to take action unless 1 turn passes or they take damage.

* War Chant of Sith: The War Chant of Sith becomes available to bards when they reach 11th level. When played, the bards' allies gain -2 bonus to AC, +10% resistance to slashing, piercing, crushing, and missile attacks, and they regenerate 2 hit points every round.

You WILL notice a BIG difference when you hit level 11 and get "War Chant of the Sith!" My Bard only pulls a weapon when every other melee character is incapacitated (that actually happened... TWICE!) AND she doesn't have a good spell for the occasion. She has TWO kick-assassin crossbows that she NEVER uses (and I mean NEVER: she has NEVER used her +3 THAC0 and hammer [or whatever] crossbows); because she has the Lyre of Progression and is casting spells 3% of the time and singing about 97% of the time: War Chant has such a dramatic effect on the firepower of the team!

By the way, just in case our usually adept greeting wagon slipped up:

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Welcome to the forum!! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 08-14-2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:39 PM   #6
Sakuri23
Dungeon Master

Thank you again! All of this information helps so much.. I never even knew that a bard would help the group so much.. Sakuri