Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 06:35 AM   #1
Pangur Ban

Still trying to upgrade my poor 'ole PC ...

Anyone care to enlighten me on the difference between Windows XP and XP pro? Is it worth paying extra to get XP Pro, considering my PC will be mainly used for games/some serious stuff/(no networking). Which, if either, would be better for running old games?

Thanks in advance ... !!
Pang [img]graemlins/cat3.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 06:48 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

If you're not going to be doing networking then there's no point in getting XP Pro. Stick with Win XP Home. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2002, 06:53 AM   #3
Sio

While were on the topic of OS's I was wondering, I recently redone my comp and put ME on, not the upgrade from 98 but full ME, and ive had troubl with it before and was wondering if anyone thought Windows 2000 was more stable and just all round better? I have the full retail of this programa and am wondering if its worth installing, keeping in mind that the task itself is of no concern to me
Old 10-31-2002, 07:28 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Ive never heard of anyone that was happy with ME. But ive never used it myself, so thats hearsay.

2k is supposedly stable, but its not a gaming OS. Its the Nt kernel, not the 9x, so its more for business apps.

XP is the NT kernel with games support added on, making it the best OS at the moment.

XPpro is better than XPhome, but the major differences are only important for business or networks, so there is no real advantage. Get XPpro if possible, since you might one day connect to a network or something, but XPhome will be more than adequate.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:29 AM   #5
Sio

So with 2000 not been a great games platform what disadvantages would I find gamewise in using that over say ME, and XP....good or not? WIDLEY SUPPORTED OR NOT
Old 10-31-2002, 07:42 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
So with 2000 not been a great games platform what disadvantages would I find gamewise in using that over say ME, and XP....good or not? WIDLEY SUPPORTED OR NOT
Drivers may be hard to find, and DirectX is always slow at being ported over. You could probably make BG2 work without any problems, but NWN may take more effort. Depends on your hardware. At the least, visit manufacturer sites and see if they support 2K or not.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:02 AM   #7
Daniel Doolan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

no i dont think it is worth it to upgread to XP pro
the differences are substantional it is not worth it
i would stick with XP home edition
Old 10-31-2002, 08:29 AM   #8
Gammit
Elminster

I had the same question about two months ago. My answer, XP Home. XP Home can network with a few computers, so even if you're gonna network other home computers in the future, this won't be a problem. I can't see the need for XP Pro unless you're going to network more computers than a household has people.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:56 PM   #9
MagiK

Just an update, I am useing XP Pro and have no problems at all with games or hardware. My guys in desktrop support tellme the only real diff between XP Pro and Xp are the multi-processor support...I got Pro free so I can't complain.

Old 10-31-2002, 02:39 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Avoid ME unless you like to reboot a lot and watch the machine freeze a lot. Use 98SE before ME. XP is my current platform, and does quite well, which is probably how Billy Gates got the "XP" to raise his stats, as indicated on another post.