Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 07:46 PM   #1
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think I must be very dim!
Took advice offered elsewhere on these pages and installed W+W in WinXP. Copied a savegame to it,went OK. Had problem well documented on this board,entered Ishan N'ha,couldn't enter some guilds and couldn't leave town.
Downloaded Virtualdub and extracted to a folder in harddrive I called virtualdub.Copied and pasted townmask1.avi into virtualdub folder,told it to "save as old format avi".
Got a message saying "D:\virtualdub\townmsk.1avi already exists. Do you want to replace it?"
Said yes.
Got message saying "AVIOutput. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
Does anyone know what is going on?
It's enough to make a grown man cry!!!
I won't give up though, I'm convinced that if I keep at it,the good people on this board will get it working in the end.
Apologies if this is a stupid question,I have much to learn!!
As always, I'm learning it the hard way, and only through the good offices of those kind enough to help. Thanks to all for your patience with a computer illiterate!
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:27 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Well, you certainly are never boring, Zero!!

You're posts are becoming my favorite soap opera and I don't even like soap operas!

HERE ARE XIGNAL'S INSTRUCTIONS:

The trick with Virtualdub is to save the file with another name since the program won't let you save it with the same name as the currently open file Here are specific directions:

Save the open file in Vdub with the "Save old-format AVI" option with a new file name (such as mask1.avi). You should see some strange graphics appear; you will get back a large 32MB file.

Now exit Virtualdub and then in Windows Explorer rename the new file from mask1.avi to townmsk1.avi (over the old file - say Yes to the "Do you want to replace" dialog box). Do the same procedure to the other two town mask files (townmsk2.avi and townmsk3.avi) changing the initial save names as appropriate.

That should do it. Good luck.

--------------------

Xignal

---------------

Zero - do you see where you are going wrong? You haven't CHANGED THE NAME OF THE FILE!! Try saving the file as mask1.

Hope that makes sense to you now! If not, I'll be looking for the next chapter of The Young and the Nerdless

Wyv

edited because I misformatted my BOLD face!

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Wyvern ]

Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 08:14 PM   #3
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

DOH!!!
I can't believe I did that!!
Would you like to sell me London Bridge,the Eiffel Tower and the Grand Canyon, Wyv? I'll buy all three, cash on the barrelhead and no receipt required.
That's how bright I am!
Hangs head in shame.
A barrowful of thanks for taking the time to answer such a damnfool question.
See you later.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:28 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Don't be so hard on yourself, Zero!! I made just as many mistakes when I was learning new things about my computer and new programs. There are still lots of things that I make silly mistakes on (which is why I rarely offer any techie advice). It's all part of the learning curve! In fact, just the other day I awarded myself the "Ditz of the week award" - I downloaded a program to help me archive my old emails. There are times, especially for our Border Collie Rescue group, that I need to search through ancient history to find some obscure missive. When you load up the program you can open your individual email folders (and I have tons) to archive them separately but when I was loading up the program I wasn't seeing all my folders. Reason? The file window had a scroll bar at the bottom that I totally missed seeing (I'm used to them being on the right, or being able to expand the window so I can see all the files at once). Way duh!! [img]smile.gif[/img] Sometimes the obvious is difficult to see!

Do we have the "Happy Ending" yet?? I've been so looking forward to that!!

Wyv
Old 03-02-2002, 11:32 PM   #5
Knip Dyolf
The Magister

Good luck Zero [img]smile.gif[/img]
Computers are amazing pieces of technology but are very daunting and rather scarey for us non computer minded humans. What you are going through is a learning curve that most computer owners go through (and continue to go through), me included [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]
Heres a little story:
Recently we received an anonymous email. We always dont open these emails but murphys law happened and it was accidently opened. Our virus scanner found a virus was attached! We deleted the email but further scanning found that a virus had attached itself to a file in the RESTORE program (we have win ME)
The virus scanner could not delete the file. I tried to manually remove the file but windows kept saying that it was in use and could not be deleted,,,,,,,,grrrrr.
I remembered from my days of playing DOS games that files can be deleted in DOS. So I went to the DOS prompt but still could not get rid of it. Windows still stopped me. ME has DOS well intergrated in it.
So I found my ME start up floppy. I started the pc with the floppy and was able to get straight into DOS without windows starting. Once that happened I went to the file and was able to delete it [img]graemlins/finger2.gif[/img]

Moral of the story. All the heartache that you are having now will one day allow you to fix another problem you have and just maybe allow you to help someone else
I have found that most ppl at Ironworks are always more than willing to help. Perhaps they remember the days when they were too were struggling with ...program errors, blue screens, corrupted files, fatal error windows, etc. I sure as heck havent forgotten [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Knip
\"Listen, strange women lyin\' in ponds distributin\' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. \"<br />Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Knip Dyolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:18 PM   #6
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the kind words people.It would have taken me three days to type either of those posts!
As to the happy ending,not sure yet,Wyv. PC doctor has been to see my wounded computer and installed latest video-card driver but I haven't had much chance to play the game on it yet.
Watch this space!!
PS how do you insert the faces into message as opposed to at the beginning?
Old 03-04-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Zero - how to put in the nice smileys?

Look at the top of the screen and click on GRAPHICS LIBRARY -

You'll find a TON of them!! (just don't go smiley crazy on me, okay??) LOL!!!!

Wyv : + ) = [img]smile.gif[/img] (don't put in spaces or the +)