Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How easy did you find learning how to use the toolset?
Very difficult 2 9.52%
Difficult 6 28.57%
Not that difficult, but not that easy 11 52.38%
Easy 1 4.76%
Very easy 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2002, 02:21 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Obviously this is for people who have used the Toolset, though those that haven't are welcome to view the results. Please be HONEST.

[ 08-22-2002, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:29 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well have only been able to dabble with it so far, and I donīt know **** about C++ and probably never will, so I have to copy paste and trial and error with scripting, or ask a friendly pseudonym here

I gor for item creation since that is fairly easy to do. Hopefully I will be able to make some maps for downloading and generate some mindless monsters. Slaads are great monsters

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:12 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Seems like everyone's struggling with the scripting a bit - that's what I found most difficult (am still finding). I don't have a C++ background (I'm in brand marketing!!) so it's all Sanskrit to me, though I'm slowly starting to understand the fundamentals. The problem is that there's so many different scripts to accomplish the same thing, it's difficult to find a consistent thread with them. Also, there's so many little details eg local variables, etc and a whole bunch of functions that are used in scripts and if you don't know what you are looking for it's almost impossible to put it together until you get more familiar with it.

Having said that, I think I'm slowly starting to get there - I can script simple stuff and build a working module from that, but some of the things I want to do are quite complex, which is probably my fault.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Obsidian the Black
Elminster

Yep, scriptin is very difficult if u dont get the hang of it.
Obsidian the Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:49 AM   #5
AndyG
Elminster

I've just dabbled in it so far, I haven't done a solid building effort.

I find it frustrating that there are so few wizards. It seems there should be a conversation wizard, at the very least. It's time consuming to build a conversation line by line, and the process could certainly be streamlined.

As a programmer by trade, I expect I'll get the hang of it once I sit down with it for a few hours.

As far as custom content, I'm no graphic artist, so if I use any, it will be pre-built. Hopefully, as time goes on, some of the better hak paks will be incorporated into the game. Currently, it's fairly limiting that you can only use one hak pack per module.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:51 AM   #6
WOLFGIR

Well personally Iīm waiting for an expansion to NWN now!

Something along the line with a new adventure for Singleplayer.. No need to continue the previous story and why not implement some of the new Epic rules? Some updates to the Aurora toolset as well??

MORE WIZARDS!!

Old 08-22-2002, 09:04 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My votes are in.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:30 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any good scripting tutorials around?

Old 08-22-2002, 09:40 AM   #9
WOLFGIR

Well apart from the tutorial that is meager on biowares homesite, you have all the NWNplanet, nwntavernn http://www.nwtavern.com/ etc etc..

But since I donīt have understood iota yet, I canīt tell wether they are good or not yet.. :S

Old 08-22-2002, 10:17 AM   #10
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I'm in pretty much the same boat as everyone else. The scripting is confusing for me at this stage. I've really only dabbled with the tool set, and most of what I have done is only after a bit of reverse engineering. There's definitely a lot you can do with the toolset, if only I knew how.