Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Wow, the CE forum is hopping nowadays

Link.

The story is interesting because of the grounds given for divorcees to extract considerable sums from their partners.

I don't think the first one is terribly controversial, but the second one (the Miller's) seems like it's going one step too far.

The Law Lords are effectively upholding the part of the ruling that said
Quote:
A judge had decided Mrs Miller was entitled to a substantial settlement because she married with "reasonable expectation" of a future wealthy lifestyle.
Now this was only after a two year marriage, she was not looking after children as in the first case.

I can understand divorce settlments giving a fair share, I can even understand 'compensation' for the giving up of a career as in the first case, but it seems to me that many people can have a "reasonable expectation" of a future wealthy lifestyle but this doesn't mean they're entitled to one! It seems like a lousy platform from which to make law. And she gets £250,000 a year for life (about $400,000) for simply marrying the guy for two years? It would have been cheaper for him to hire a prostitute as a companion for that time...

What do y'all think? Unjust?

[ 05-26-2006, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... *I'd* be willing to marry him for two years at that rate

The upside: women do often get the short end of a divorce settlement

The downside: you're back to whoever has the better lawyer and can make the most convincing case about how poorly their client is doing and how well the other party is doing. The stakes are just higher.

Basing it on future expectations is not so ridiculous. Imagine if she worked like a dog so he could finish medical school, and once he was done, he dumped her. Wouldn't past sacrifice and future expectations play into that?

*makes note to self: don't get into the divorce thing...*
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I spoke with my sister about my divorce, and told her that if I ever bring home someone she doesn't like to just up and smack me on the back of the head, no explanations needed, I just wish she had done it 4 1/2 years ago... (of course then I wouldn't have my lovely daughters that I wouldn't give up for the world).
Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I think this is ridicullous. You split what you got while you were together. Not what you got before, expesially in this case.

Let's say the guy worked 30 years, got to the top of a big company, and then married. So now after two year, the wife that did NOTHING to help him get there suddently get half his lifetime's work for free?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I believe the theory is that if someone has an "expectation" of a wealthy lifestyle, they're going to quit their job, not seek further education, and so on... Perhaps they were just trying to set a precedent, as this argument is valid when a couple is married for ten years, but certainly not two.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

This is why I have one rule regarding breakups:

I know she's gonna screw me over somehow, so I make sure to give her a right good beating at the time of the breakup, make sure she has one last good fall down the stairs. Nothing deadly, of course, I just want to get my money's worth, that's all.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL! TL, you make me think of one of my uncles. One of his sons did something, and when my uncle got mad, his son said, "You touch me, and I'll call the police for child abuse".

My uncle responded, "Go ahead. When they get here, it will be."

My cousin decided not to find out if he was serious or not...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

That first ruling isn't awful. It looks very similar to Canadian family law (from my limited exposure to it). Besides, it makes sense because it was a long marriage.

The second ruling upholds the expectations of every wannabe Anna Nicole Smith in the world.

As for wife-beating, I won't even joke about it because I don't find it funny. Taking out one's emotional anger on someone who is (presumably) smaller and weaker than oneself is not macho, or payback, or whatever. It's cowardly, immature, and brutal.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
As for wife-beating, I won't even joke about it because I don't find it funny. Taking out one's emotional anger on someone who is (presumably) smaller and weaker than oneself is not macho, or payback, or whatever. It's cowardly, immature, and brutal.
It's fun, that's what it is. Don't talk about it until you've tried it. Honestly, can anyone live with a woman long term without beating the snot out of her sooner or later?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
It's fun, that's what it is. Don't talk about it until you've tried it. Honestly, can anyone live with a woman long term without beating the snot out of her sooner or later?

There's a debate behind the scenes with those that reported this post.

Some call it flame-baiting and others say that you think you're being funny.

I don't know which it is, but I think in either case you had just better shut up and move on.