Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2001, 12:29 AM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

bump
Old 02-25-2001, 12:34 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, how about testing an IRCQ chat, don´t know if this is the correct name, one of thoose java chats?
Old 02-25-2001, 12:38 AM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

wolfgir, you are online ??
i cant see you online in ICQ !!!
Old 02-25-2001, 12:42 AM   #4
WOLFGIR

Using another nick in my ICQ, if you are into Internet you know how it is, siw mailadresses three ICQ alias...
Old 02-25-2001, 12:45 AM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

well you have my number in my profile, if ya wanna add me do it !!
Old 02-25-2001, 05:52 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This message is not directed at anyone in particular - it's directed at EVERYONE who uses this board.

I had a feeling last night AEST that this board was going to crash again. I thought I would let people know, especially new posters, that there is one thing that this Ultraboard does not like: people posting too fast. In other words, using it like a chat room. The UBB boards all have flood control activated to prevent this from crashing boards. For those who don't know, flood control is a safety mechanism which prevents people from 'flooding' the board with posts. If you've just posted, the board will not let you post for a few minutes, so that the board doesn't become unstable. Unfortunately this Ultraboard doesn't have that.

I noticed last night when I saw a total of 200+ posts contained in a couple of threads which each went up to 100+ posts all in the space of a couple of hours - all spam which really didn't have anything to do with BG2. Unfortunately with the antiquated structure that this board has, there's a good chance it will crash if you do that. I think I posted a warning on one of those threads to take it easy. WE have to accept responsibility for this last crash - not the Ultraboard software.

I'm as guilty of spam as anyone, but it is starting to reach levels which are excessive in my opinion. Everyone spams once in a while. I don't find anything wrong with off-topic stuff at all. But spam and off topic are two completely different things. I know that Ziroc would not be impressed at having to fix the board up if it crashed because we spammed too much and used it more like a chat room. One of the things I will be recommending to Ziroc for the new board is that if people want to spam repetitively (I don't find anything wrong with roleplaying clan wars and such) then they should have a forum dedicated to just that, so that it eases the load. I am also more than happy to suggest that he put in a chat room for those who would like one.

This is NOT directed at anyone in particular as I said earlier, no don't take offence at my comments. What I'm trying to say is take it easy a bit, especially with the spamming. At least do it without images and try to be a bit responsible about it. In chat rooms you don't have graphics, gifs etc for that very reason. We all really enjoy being community members on this board - let's try to take care of it until we move to the new one ok?

For people who might not know - testing on the new board is starting this coming week.
Old 02-25-2001, 09:02 AM   #7
Rikard_OHF
Beholder

I Agree With Memnoch
Try to Pace yourself at least til the new forum arrives
Old 02-25-2001, 10:46 AM   #8
WOLFGIR

Nice new gif Memnoch, hmm, maybe we should try and see if we could get people to use ICQ more since it has been on alot of threads so thoose who likes to have a more "online discussion" could do so. My ICQ is in my user details for any to see, so be good little two legs and upadate you too!!
Old 02-25-2001, 10:51 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think a chat room/ICQ/MSN Messenger/Yahoo Messenger would be a good idea. Don't know how much that would cost for Z though.

On rereading my post I may have come across a bit too harsh - the purpose of that was not to offend anyone, but to try and point out something that other people generally may not be aware of.

Ziroc has said that testing on the new board is beginning next week so it should only be another couple of weeks and these crashes should be a thing of the past.
Old 02-25-2001, 01:06 PM   #10
Patriarch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Getting a channel in IRC would be easier- and free too.