Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2002, 11:58 PM   #11
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The roll to beat spell resistance is d20+caster level+spell penetration (if any). Even so, a 50 would be very hard to get past, unless, of course, the designers fudged things a bit for high-level enemy mages. Even if the spell gets through, you still have the saving throw (for spells that allow one).

In actual 3rd ed rules, the basic rollup is still with us. In this case, it's 4d6, total the three highest dice. The DMG has several alternate methods of stat creation, of which the point distribution is one.

I suspect the designers went with their modified version because overall, it's faster than rolling dice. I still prefer the dice.

Jack, I've bought that belt in HOF, too. Nice little item

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:14 AM   #12
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

They removed the rolling the dices part because people where exploiting it.

You are suposed to roll it once, or maybe twice, if you got a very bad roll. Not spend 3 hours rolling until you get four 18. That was creating unbalanced characters, so they removed it and gave a fixed number of points to distribute. That was every characters are balanced.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:22 AM   #13
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well if you really spent the time (3+ hours!) then I'd argue you deserved the extraordinary characters. But my real problem with the new system is that it's kind of boring, and not realistic - not everyone is created perfectly equally and it takes some of the fun out of character generation for me. A party of extraordinary heroes to me is a good thing, not a bad one. Also from alot of the party/character builds I have seen (and even created) it tends to make the characters even more unrealistic - with min-maxed scores (alot of 1/3s in Int and Cha for example).
Old 11-02-2002, 06:47 AM   #14
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I miss the 2nd edition system too..

For spell resistance AIK, if your SR is 10. you absorb first 10 damage. so if your SR is 50. A wizard must cause 51 damage to cause you 1 damage [img]smile.gif[/img] correct me if im wrong
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 12:37 PM   #15
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, they've tried to confuse us with spell resistance and magic resistance (I love these new, simplfied rules )

Spell resistance means the spell either gets through or it doesn't.

Magic resistance is what absorbs damage from spells.

So let's say your Drow has a spell resistance of 25 and magic resistance 10. The evil mage chucks a fireball and must get 25 or better on his roll to have a chance of affecting him. Mage ends up with a 16, so the Drow just sneers and takes no damage at all.

But suppose said mage rolls up a 27. Now the spell gets through so the Drow must reflex save against the fireball. Let's say he makes it for half damage, maybe 15 points. Magic resistance eats 10 of that, so the Drow ends up with a first-degree burn of 5 points of damage.

Nightowl2
Old 11-02-2002, 01:09 PM   #16
Nydlari
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
The roll to beat spell resistance is d20+caster level+spell penetration (if any).
Nightowl2
Is the caster level the lvl of a particular class or the total level of the character?
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:22 PM   #17
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Technically, it should be the level of the mage part. For instance, if you have a Rogue 2/Sorcerer 6, the caster level should be 6, not 8. I've never dualed any of my mage types, however, so can't be sure if they are doing that here. And it's difficult to say in any case, since you don't see the rolls to get through spell resistance.

I know they take full character levels for skills. For example, a Fighter 5/Rogue 2 could have 10 in Lockpicking, where a Fighter 7 could only have 3.

Nightowl2
Old 11-02-2002, 04:33 PM   #18
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Question Mark

Quote:
They removed the rolling the dices part because people where exploiting it.

You are suposed to roll it once, or maybe twice, if you got a very bad roll. Not spend 3 hours rolling until you get four 18. That was creating unbalanced characters, so they removed it and gave a fixed number of points to distribute. That was every characters are balanced.
True enough! I never started a game where my char would have less then 83 points on a roll. On balancing account, this new system is superb. I just wish they would have done *some*thing with the odd numbers, not just the even.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:44 PM   #19
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

I also dislike the odd numbers being pointless.

Also, IWD was based on AD&D 2nd edition, not just 2nd edition buyo! heh heh, AD&D kicks ass. Oh, I love the claim that feats are a new, interesting thing. lol, THATS WHAT NON-WEAPON PROFICIENCIES WERE FOR! lol, stupid wotc.
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 04:49 PM   #20
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

"I also dislike the odd numbers being pointless."

Actually they're not - to qualify for certain feats, you need an odd number (take Expertise or Dirty Fighting for example).