Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
hickfam
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have several locations listed on my map but none of them will allow me to travel there. The Stronghold, Trademeet, Windspear Hills(sp). It has been about 18 months since I last played. I reinstalled the game, included official patch and Baldurdash to no avail. Anybody know why it will not allow me to travel outside the city? I don't really want to restart the game as I completed several quests inside the city before I attempted to head out and claim the stronghold.

thanks in advance
hickfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
The solution is simple in the context of the game... The first time you leave Athkatla, you need to do it through the city gates [img]tongue.gif[/img]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
hickfam
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have tried that to no avail. I went so far as to completely reinstall the game with the patch and BG2 fixpack included. Still no luck. I dont get it.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Hm. Well, as there is no actualy map area named The Stronghold, I'm going to assume that you aren't especially familiar with the game. I'm not talking down to you or anything, I'm just saying that you probably didn't try to leave the city in the precise, correct way.

Go to the City Gates map. In the upper right-hand corner of the map, there is a large archway with some illegible writing scrawled above it. You have to direct your party to go beneath that archway. Move your mouse around on the far said of the arch--when the pointer turns into what looks like a wagon wheel, click. Boom! You can now travel to all of the out-of-town areas that you have opened up. If you open up new ones (like the Umar Hills) later on, you may have to do the City Gates thing again to make the new area accessible.

And yes, I want to shoot BioWare in the knee for making everybody have to do this stupid City-Gates thing in the first place.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
hickfam
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yea, i sound like a noob, but i do know how to get around in the game. I have completed it twice before, its just been a while. Has no one come across this bug before? I hate to waste 2 days (real life) because of this. Any help is appreciated.

i have attempted to go through the city gates.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Ive never heard of that happening, are your sure you have the latest patch? Also you might want to try an area code, I dont know any off hand but Im sure Six does or I think they're listed on the Baldur's Gate 2 page here.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Then that's . . . just bizarre. Tell us, what exactly does happen when you try to do the precise steps I listed?

The first thing you should try is to start a new game, and see if your country travel is prohibited in that one, too. As for your current game, all I can suggest (at least for now) is to cheat yourself to the desired locations. Open up your Baldur.ini file, look where it says "Program Options" and "Game Options, and add the lines
Debug Mode=1
CheatKeys=1
below each of them. (Actually, you only need to enter each of those lines once, but I forget which one of them goes where, so I just do both.) Then, when you're in the game, you can use the CLUA console.
Save the game before you cheat, especially when you're attempting something this big.
In the game, press Ctrl-Space. This opens a bar at the bottom of the screen, where you can type commands. Type CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR1234"), where 1234 is the number code of the area you wish to teleport to. I actually know hardly any of the area codes, sorry to disappoint, you'll just have to use trial & error, but almost all of the big, main areas (the ones that appear on the World Map) have numbers that end in 00, for example the Docks District is AR0300. Note: When using the CLUA console, capitalization is very important.
Once you know the number of the place you want to go, Reload to before you began your wild teleporting spree, Pause the game, make sure your entire party is selected, and CLUA yourself to your desired map. This will place you as close to the top left-hand corner as the map will allow, which is not always where you're supposed to arrive--for example, when you enter the Druid Grove, you always do so at the bottom right. So, before you un-Pause, put your mouse pointer as close as possible to where you think your party should have showed up, and press Ctrl-J. This is a clumsy, ugly fix, but it'll work.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

You did try to leave through the front gate right? Not the district, the actual gate...