Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Korgan just died (I'm in Chapter 6, and this is a no-reloads game). He was chunkified (by my own party... long story), and now my party needs a new tank.

Here's my current party:
Gnick O'Thyme, Gnome Cleric/Illusionist
Jaheira
Imoen
Keldorn
Valygar

The party ranges from levels 13-15.

Here are the people I've considered so far:
Minsc (He's level 8 though)
Anomen (I think he's level 8 or 9, I picked him up briefly after exiting the first dungeon)
Mazzy (she'll spawn at level 12, I think. I think Mazzy can be a great tank, but she'll take a while to get there (I'd have her dual-weild with Crom Faeyr in the offhand).

If I reach ToB, [[that ToB only NPC]] would be the obvious answer, but I've only just exited the Underdark, and I need a stand-in (at least) for quite some time! Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

[ 10-30-2006, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Klorox ]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Mazzy ALL the way mate. I love that little halfling.

You don't really need Anomen seeing as how you have your PC and Jah covering any healing.

And that leaves Minsc and Mazzy - I would take the latter any day over the former.
Dave_the_quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

put a spoiler on the ToB character please
Old 10-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
IronDragon
Elminster

Minsc or Anomen are more tankish than Mazzy.

However, you need ask yourself….do I NEED a sixth party member, much less another tank?

You already have two tanks, Jaheira and Keldorn along with Valygar, the one man killing machine.
Given the level of your party I would have to assume you left quite a few quests undone before heading off to collect Imoen. These undone quests are not only a gold mine of XP but designed to be handled by less experienced parties than you have right now. So with one or two notable exceptions anything left aside from the main story line should be relatively easy for your party as is. Going to collect this left over XP with five instead of six means faster leveling up of your team. You mentioned the ToB NPC and the possibility of taking him on. if you were to take Mazzy then you would spend time, energy and XP to boost her up to where you want her only to be faced with the decision as to whether or not you wish to dump her later.

My advice. Keep your five members and look up all those unfinished quests from chapter 2.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Sorry ZFR, done.

ID, normally I'd agree with you, but since this is a "no reloads" game, I'm taking as few chances as possible.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by IronDragon:
Minsc or Anomen are more tankish than Mazzy.
I disagree. The most important quality of a good Tank is defense, and in this, Mazzy is second only to Korgan. She has a natural 18 DEX for excellent AC, a buttload of hitpoints, and perhaps most importantly, the best Saving Throws in the game are held by Dwarven and Halfling Warriors. And there are plenty of good Short Swords for Mazzy to use with her Shield. The fact that she's a kickass archer doesn't mean that you have to use her as one.

Minsc and Jaheira are both decent Tanks, but J's hitpoints are a little low (Ironskins are all well and good, until they get dispelled, and they don't protect against elemental damage), and their Saving Throws aren't as good--and BG2 is all about making your Saves. Anomen? Forget it. 7 levels of Fighter does not make a Tank. So he has an 18/xx STR, whoop de doo! What difference does that make when you only have 2 ApR? Anomen is a better front-liner than Viconia, but that's about all that can be said for his Tanking abilities.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Hey guys, I picked up Mazzy, and she seems to be working well.

Unfortunately, very shortly after getting her, Valygar got himself chunkified by a greater mummy. I need a scout type: Do you think a much lower level Minsc can contribute (he's level 8 while Mazzy is level 12 and Keldorn is level 15 or 16)?

Either that, or I'm going to go with Haer'Dalis.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
IronDragon
Elminster

Hmmm…I don’t think anyone has ever found a use for Haer’Dalis
Old 11-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Minsc can scout - i used him like that in my swashie->fighter game (my guy concentrated on the techie skills)

Haer dalis isn't much of a scout really - although he looks a bit scouty

Jan?

go and get the staff of the magi (veeeery carefully . . .) and use its invisiblity with Imoen?

load imoen up with boots of stealth and mercy killer ring (iirc)? i forget her stealth scores . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Wizard Eye.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote