Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

got the game at a yard sale, it was the collection package,, got it for 2 dollars, could not pass it by, never played it, but heard great things about it

i installed amn,, then the extra bonus disk, then i install throne of bhaal

I have a few questions so please help out if you can

1. can i start on amn, complete that quest, then import to bhaal?

2. if i play online, can i save that character and then play a single player game using all the stuff i got from the multiplayer session

that pretty much sums it up on game playing, the game came with no books or anything so i kinda have a question about my starting character..

I'm wanting a melee tank class , that can dish out tons of dmg, i feel like using 2 swords and well, i just want to try and kill everything. A guy that can just rush in to battle and start killing

so what kinda of class does this sound like to you? also what weapons should i spec in, whats a good race,, ect

i don't really like to use magic, other than the npc's to support me,, thats my playing style

just any basic info would be nice,, thanks for reading
darnapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

1. Yes. Amn is not just a quest though...it's a long game.

2. Yes. You have to copy and paste your character file from your multiplayer saves into your singleplayer saves.

Try using a dwarven berserker. You will have tons of HP, and can dish out a lot of damage. Try specializing in either axes (which will pay off, especially in Throne of Bhaal), hammers, or in flails (there is really only one flail worth using in the game, but it is damn powerful).

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
darnapkin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

sounds like a good idea,,

another question ,, being that this game is 6 or almost 6 years old, could you think of some MODS that add to game play, fixes a few bugs

what are some of the more common mods that people use

thanks
darnapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

For all of your modding needs, visit Pocket Plane Group

You can find the ToB (Throne of Bhaal) patch at Bioware

That's really all you need. Good luck during your adventures with this Aaaaaaamazing game! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #5
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Baldurdash is essential, it fixes many bugs that weren't addressed in the official patch.

Unfinished business may be worth a look, as it restores some gamplay that was not finished in time for the final release.

[ 05-12-2006, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
As to installing mods--things like the fixpack and perhaps Unfinished Business are probably good ideas, but you may want to save some of the larger mods for later, once you've played the standard game once or twice.

As to using a character from a multiplayer session in singleplayer:

You can copy your character file as Lord said, and start a new game with that character, but you won't keep any of the items/equipment, just your experience points.

An alternative is to start a multiplayer session, choose only the character you want, and start from there. You could continue a game from a multiplayer session with just your character, or you could import the character file into a new game. If you also want to keep the equipment, just import the character into a game that has already been started, and the equipment won't all be gone.

Once you save your game in multiplayer, you can then copy that saved game directory from your mpsave to your save directory, and play it in single player mode (this trick also allows you to start a game with more than one self-created character).
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

a half orc fighter (any kit), dual weilding katanas is quite powerfull. there are a few great katanas in the game
Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion
As a player who was a BGII nut a few years ago, then put it in the drawer, and have recently dragged it back into the light of day, i would suggest you have a run through without any mods first - you know, give it a go as god intended.

However, if you are determined, i have just installed the ease of use mod which i have found great. i havent really got any others, so cant comment on them, but i would imagine that for a new player, EOU would help with some small issues (inventory management) but not change the gameplay much.

As for character, Dual weilding is always fun, and if you are into a Tank character, some sort of fighter is an obvious choice. from what you were saying about wanting to rush in and start killing, i gather two things:
1) a barbarian or Beserker might interest you
2) remind me not to piss you off!