Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
alxy07
Welcomed New User

hi guys games like baldurs gate 2 have always fascinated me, i find them very interesting and i am enjoying my first few hours of play : ). Alas i am very D and D illterate, after reading threads online i have figured out some useful classes and weapons and things like that, But i do not know what spells to get for my dual classed mage. I started off with a beserker and i want to dual him to a mage once i reach lvl 9 from what ive heard. what spells should i pick once i get the mage, any input would be appreciated thanks!!! also im a bit confused by my starting character, in the profile section it shows the berserker level as being lvl 7? do you start every char at lvl 7 or does that mean something else, thanks again : )
alxy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
Xzirox
Manshoon

WELCOME TO IW!!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:01 PM   #3
mmkay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

you start at level 7 because it starts off from where Baldurs Gate 1 left off and it presumes you have gained that much experience in the first game
mmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
First off:
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Welcome to Ironworks, alxy07!
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

In my opinion a particular class is only as effective as you let it be. In otherwords I don't think there is a truly useless class.

As for spell selection one of the practiced mage players will no-doubt drop in to lend you some advice.

Here's a link to a site with some very helpful info on dual and multi-classing your character: Ch.5 multiclassing vs. dualclassing

You should actually read the entire site thoroughly to give you a good idea of the mechanics involved in the game. 6 of Spades Guide to D&D

This site was put together by one of the many wonders of IW's. He may potentially stop by to lend advice, but he's been seen less recently than in days past.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:44 AM   #5
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

welcome to IW!!

couple of things:

definitely read sixofspades guide
for an aspiring mage the spell guide in the sticky FAQ thread at the top of the list is good too

if you want someone to just tell you what spells to pick dundee's sorcerer spell lists are here - its the same principle

http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/ds_s...Main_Page.html

the only ones you really need to worry about will be your level one spell picks when you dual to mage as youll learn the rest from scrolls
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:12 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

good for you . whoo hoo.. another mage in the making [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:05 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

"Been seen here less frequently than in days past?" I wasn't aware of that.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I won't launch into a full diatribe about the mechanics of Dualing a Fighter to a Mage here, alxy07 (I do enough of that on the site), but I'll just babble on a bit about the level at which you choose to Dual. Level 9 is not the best time to Dual, it is simply one of the best times to Dual. Other times might include:

Level 2: The bare minimum for any Dual-class, this will simply allow your Mage to do lots of Warrior-only things, such as wear helmets, shields, and armor, use any type of weapon (and put up to 5 proficiency points in them, too), drink Warrior-only Potions, that sort of thing. You'll also have a handful of extra hitpoints.

Level 13: Frequently chosen by powergaming Kensai->Mages, because it's the highest Fighter level you can achieve (under the ToB EXP cap) without starting to eat up your eventual Mage spellslots. A Level 13 Fighter can only reach a maximum of Level 28 as a Mage.....but since a Level 28 Mage has exactly as many spellslots as a Level 31 Mage, what's the point of going higher?

Level 15: Just like Level 13, except that you sacrifice 1 8th-level and 1 9th-level spellslot in exchange for slightly better hitpoints and THAC0, and--the important bit--Saving Throws.

Level 21: The very latest time you could Dual-class under the ToB EXP cap. You can squeeze in 2 Warrior HLAs before the Dual (HLAs that stay with you, even while you can't use your Fighter class), and you'll eventually hit Level 22 as a Mage. Coincidentally, Level 21 is also the level that all classes' THAC0 and Saving Throws stop improving.

[ 10-18-2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 10-18-2003, 05:49 PM   #8
alxy07
Welcomed New User

thanks for the tips and help guys! ill be enjoying my questing now! : ) : )
alxy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 04:18 PM   #9
Too Hot
Dungeon Master

Welcome to ironworks