Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Wow, it's only been about four months since i last played this game and i've already lost the knack. A compliment to a complicated game, perhaps? Whatever. I started a new character the other day and it's got me beat how i ever managed to remember what's what in this world.

For the first time, i created a kensai with the intention of dualing to you-know-what later on and i've re-discovered just how helpless solo characters can be. Insane skill level be damned; this guy's a monkey. 15,18,18,17,9,8. Okay, so they may be good as far as stats go, but i'm out of practice. Try as i may, i just can't seem to keep the poor bastard alive. Arrows, in particular, seem to be killing him too quickly for his melee skills to be effective. Which brings me to my first question:

1. I remember there being several items which raise your armour vs missile weapons. Which of these items can be used by kensais and where can i find them in chapter 2?

2. In all my previous games, Bernard in the Coronet has had a few up market weapons for sale (Blade of the Roses and Stonefire, IIRC). He's also had some nice level 8 spells for sale though these are of no interest to a kensai. It appears that Bernard has grown tight in his old age as he's not offering anything useful at all in this game. Is my CHA too low? Or do i have to free some slaves in order to unlock these items? (shudder).

3. My character is neutral evil and i'm having trouble finding some quick, easy quests too build up exp. The only ones i can think of are goody two-shoes jobs which are, quite frankly, beneath my evil bhaalspawn. Can anyone think of some suitably nasty quests in ch2 to wet my feet?

Thanks, all. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:58 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Spoilers galore.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
1. I remember there being several items which raise your armour vs missile weapons. Which of these items can be used by kensais and where can i find them in chapter 2?
Boots of Avoidance: Go to the Graveyard District and click on the buried man to start the quest.

Shield Amulet: Basement of De'Arnise Keep. Same level as Torgal

Consider saving some Potions of Defence for the big battles too.
Quote:
2. In all my previous games, Bernard in the Coronet has had a few up market weapons for sale (Blade of the Roses and Stonefire, IIRC). He's also had some nice level 8 spells for sale though these are of no interest to a kensai. It appears that Bernard has grown tight in his old age as he's not offering anything useful at all in this game. Is my CHA too low? Or do i have to free some slaves in order to unlock these items? (shudder).
Free the slaves!
Quote:
3. My character is neutral evil and i'm having trouble finding some quick, easy quests too build up exp. The only ones i can think of are goody two-shoes jobs which are, quite frankly, beneath my evil bhaalspawn. Can anyone think of some suitably nasty quests in ch2 to wet my feet?

Thanks, all. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Tradesmeet, BwerWahHAHAHAHA. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Some minor quests in Umar Hills can be done evilly too.

Windspear Hills is a potential scene of dastardly deeds.

Valgar prays you are a good guy, but we all know otherwise right?

Jan Jansen will regret the day he met you.

Viconia finds out the smell of cooked Drow.

Etc... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 11:32 AM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
I remember there being several items which raise your armour vs missile weapons. Which of these items can be used by kensais and where can i find them in chapter 2?
Is the girdle of piercing considered as one? does the ac vs. piercing make you avoid missles? anyways, that can be found in the circus

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:00 PM   #4
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
CC/Bernard spoiler
You don't have to free the slaves to get Bernard's special items. Once you get permission to go to the backrooms of the CC, check out the cell block. Some guards will inevitably attack you, but when you're done with them, talk to Hendak. Whether you promise to help him escape or not, go talk to Lehtinan. The evil path will become very obvious at this point. Once you have finished this path, when you talk to Bernard, he will offer the better item stock. (The dialogue option is "Since Lehtinan promised us a discount..." instead of "Since Hendak promised..." that do gooders are used to)
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:23 AM   #5
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
Is the girdle of piercing considered as one? does the ac vs. piercing make you avoid missles? anyways, that can be found in the circus
Well, since both bolts and arrows are considered piercing damage, yes that would help... but bullets (slings) are blunt damage.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:35 AM   #6
Raistlin Majere
Ra

right, but fortunately there arent many slingers out there

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:
~~ but bullets (slings) are blunt damage.
If only that was so; but as it is, bullets deal piercing damage.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:33 AM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks for the suggestions, Dundee. Those boots are exactly what i'm looking for. Although i'm gonna have to be nice and rescue Tidir (?) if i want them. I swear, sometimes this game can be so biased against evil sods.

I went ahead and finished the slaver quest to see if it unlocked the items, but i'm now thinking about reloading just to do it the evil way. Thanks for pointing that out, Olorin. Is there a smaller xp reward for doing it the evil way? I need all i can get at this stage.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:14 PM   #9
Iceblizz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Some spoilers...

Take into consideration that if you wipe out the slavers' ship, Lethinan won't like you any more. Maybe Bernard will stop selling too, I'm not sure. Actually, you're not going to do that, but you can't cooperate with them and they have a few items and represent some relatively easy EP... so I'd get rid of them with an evil char as well.

Doing the druid quest the evil way is pretty cool, don't miss that opportunity of showing you're not they one they actually wanted. And don't forget to take along your reputation malus at Coprith's. The downside is you won't get that much EP like a good fellow. It's not that bad like if you had a full party (>40.000 for every party-member), but since your current char needs every EP he can get waiting for his dualclass-powers...

The graveyard-quest also doesn't require to be a nice guy.

What you definitively should NOT do is handing over Valygar to the mages. There'll be no way to enter the Planar Sphere anymore!

[ 05-27-2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Iceblizz ]
Iceblizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:39 PM   #10
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, Dundee. Those boots are exactly what i'm looking for. Although i'm gonna have to be nice and rescue Tidir (?) if i want them. I swear, sometimes this game can be so biased against evil sods.

I went ahead and finished the slaver quest to see if it unlocked the items, but i'm now thinking about reloading just to do it the evil way. Thanks for pointing that out, Olorin. Is there a smaller xp reward for doing it the evil way? I need all i can get at this stage.
SPOILER
Actually Sever you can get the boots and do that quest the evil way because you kill the two kidnappers before you decide wether to ransom off Elga or not .