Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 12:47 AM   #31
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:

Yes, it has been a good discussion... moreso now that I've calmed myself out of 'fight' mode and into 'listen and discuss' mode...
No way! You can't do that, you'll break the internet!

[ 02-02-2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 02-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #32
Spirits forever

hmmm

sephiroth from final fantasy Vii
he may be the antagonist but he's noble...to a certain extent [img]tongue.gif[/img] or he's just cool as hell

anyways seriously....i'd say Link from zelda..if that's considered an rpg?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #33
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

So, no one thinks... Drizzt?
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #34
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Drizzt is a pansy. I slap him around in every BG game I play (unless I'm a paladin). "Friends await" my ass, eat steel, drow chump!
Hierophant: By noble I mean: Having or showing qualities of high moral character, such as courage, generosity, or honor: a noble spirit.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:50 PM   #35
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:

Hierophant: By noble I mean: Having or showing qualities of high moral character, such as courage, generosity, or honor: a noble spirit.
And again, 'high moral character' is as subjective a term as 'noble'. Whose morals? Different people have different definitions of honour, and generosity, and 'morality' in general... simplistic, pseudo-philosophical games such as AD&D tend to give people the impression that there is somehow a universal, 'true' moral code that applies to everyone in the world, whether they like it or not. But really that is a load of bollocks. Different people hold their own codes, each as subjective and personalised as the next... do you see what I'm getting at?

Or are you going to look at me sideways when I ask you "whose morality?' and say 'huh? What do you mean 'whose morality?'! I mean morality! THE morality! Good and evil! Duh! It's so simple! You're so annoying! Stop trying to start trouble!" If so, then I'm afraid I have to shake my head slowly, sigh as frustratedly as I can, and leave the discussion table here and now, muttering something under my breath about understanding how Nietzsche must have felt...

[ 02-05-2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 02-06-2005, 06:24 AM   #36
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Quote:
Drizzt is a pansy.
Drizzt is....a type of flower? I don't see how this rather odd observation is relevant to the topic at all. I'm guessing however that it is a flippant attempt to de-masculate Drizzt without actually addressing any potential 'noble' characteristics that he may have. You're not one of those laughably machoistic guards who thinks they can take 'Drizzit' with one hand tied behind your back, are you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

He's somewhat of a controversial figure on IW (good job mentioning him Marty!) since he obviously incites much idiotic irrational hatred and shameless, thoughtless adoration also. A balanced view on Drizzt, seems few and far between. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'll offer a couple of points on him.

One significant noble factor with Drizzt for me, is the fact that in the novel "Homeland", in growing up, he is able to introspectively reject the 'herd' morality indoctrination of his drow heritage by secretly forming ideas and opinions of his own for what is 'right' or 'wrong'.
One example that comes to mind is when he held his sword back from a young elven maid on a ritualistic drow raid of the surface. Whilst his people generally saw this as a moral weakness in showing pity towards a 'lesser being', a sign of dissent, Drizzt saw the act of murder in cold blood as a waste of life. One could argue that this was a noble act by reinforcing the value of life and the right for others to live.

Drizzt individuated by freeing himself of the restrictions set upon him, which distinguishes himself from those who are happy enough to accept and swallow without thinking, the values that their society offers them.

His relationships with Bruenor, Montolio, Belwar and Catti-Brie in particular show a forging of arguably 'noble' values, but I would counter that his general aloofness from most societies at large, means his type of nobility is a very lonely one. So I wouldn't be so dogmatic as to say that he's a shining example for everyone in terms of nobility or morality.

Quote:
This is what I thought you meant in earlier posts and I think Hiero replied well enough, but a good way to emphasise what he said is to offer the quote from the philosopher himself:

"There are no moral facts, only interpretations." - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Lord British would also be pleased that you included two avatarly virtues in your definition.

@ Hiero. Although I disagreed on a couple minor points, we're effectively in agreeance with each other. I'm a pacifist, so I wasn't aware of any 'fighting', but I don't deny that I enjoy a verbal joust or two.

Cheers,
Cerebrodragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #37
Sir Degrader

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
quote:
Drizzt is a pansy.
You're not one of those laughably machoistic guards who thinks they can take 'Drizzit' with one hand tied behind your back, are you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[/QUOTE]I don't think I can take on Drizzt. I know I can. BG2. My party versus his. It came down to me versus him. Critical hit with Cfury. Then another hit. Then another. Then another. Eventually I got his stuff and pawned it.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:24 AM   #38
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I guess you answered my question then.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #39
The Hierophant

Quote:
I don't think I can take on Drizzt. I know I can. BG2. My party versus his. It came down to me versus him. Critical hit with Cfury. Then another hit. Then another. Then another. Eventually I got his stuff and pawned it.
Hahahaha. Nothing quite like playing a make-believe fantasy computer game to REALLY demonstrate the potency of one's manhood eh?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:30 AM   #40
D*Ranged

Fenthick Moss from NWN or Raven from Arcanum get my pick.