Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Shotgun
Manshoon

Baldur's Gate II is the very first AD&D/RPG I've ever played, and I'm addicted. Once I finish ToB, which game should I play next? Any suggestions? I love the whole magic deal in the game, and my PC is a female mage. I'd like something that still has that (maybe they all do, and that was a pointless comment?). Thanks!
Old 09-15-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Baldur's Gate 1 is very good
Icewind dale is okey...
Planescape Torment is awesome
Neverwinter Night is essential... crpg doesn't get better than that.
and Minesweeper is always great... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

ToEE or Morrowind...
Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

BG2 is the best, nothing else can compare to it. I would say planescape torment would be your best bet, but thats getting hard to find. The newer Neverwinter Nights dosent come close to the feel of BG2 in singleplayer. Icewind is good, but more combat oriented than BG2.

Which aspects of BG2 did you enjoy the most? The characteristion, plot, dialogue and all that? Or the fighting?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

If you are looking for a great rpg and don't mind trying another setting, you could try Fallout and Fallout 2. There is no magic, but I think everyone agree those are some of the best RPGs ever.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Shotgun
Manshoon

I liked the characterization, the magic, and the fighting. It worked for me because you don't have to pummel everyone, and the puzzles are fun. I do like the magic aspect because it's different than just running in with your swords/axes/hammers, etc. Someone had mentioned Icewind Dale to me. Which one is better. ID or Neverwinter? I don't know much about the games.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Icewind is similar to BG2, but take away all the interesting NPCs (all of your party are generated and do not have any banters, never mind romances and the like) and the plot is much more linear. The combat is much the same as BG2, but there is more of it. If you get IWD2 you get to play with the superior (arguably) 3rd edition ruleset which allows for some interesting flexibility in the character development. IWD1 uses the same 2nd ed as BG2 does.

Planescape goes the other direction - the NPCs personalities are more interesting that any game Ive played. They make better companions than most humans. And they are all unusual characters as well, none of your stereotypicaly elven mage, dwarven fighter etc. The plot of PS:T is everything, and it is genuinely interesting to find out more about whats going on. Combat is much less important, though there are some very nice spell effects. THe only drawback with PS:T is that it has a lower replayability - all the characters including your own is predetermined, and since the attraction of the game lies in solving the plot and finding out who the hell you are and what is going on, once you've done it a couple of times there isnt as much to interest you.

And after writing that about Planescape, I see you were asking about Neverwinter. Sigh.

Out of the box, Neverwinter is closest to IWD, combat is the main focus of the game. It uses the same 3rd ed ruleset as IWD2 does. One of the most annoying things about NWN is that you only control one character - any summons or henchmen (there is no true party in single player) have decent enough AI but you cant order them about properly, so they can do the most stupid things at times. There are hakpaks to improve matters though.

Also the campaign from the original neverwinter is pretty lame. Shadows of Undrentide, the expansion, is better. But the real point of NWN is online play and the 3rd party content. Said 3rd party content ranges from substandard crap that would have be at by a 13 year old DM running his first campaign, to some of the finest gaming out there. There are combat heavy modules, storyline based modules, pretty much any kind of module you can think of.

Online play can be pretty poor, a lot of players believe that the point of the game is to be as powerful as possible, but if you can find a good server (IWs is pretty good for a start) where roleplayng is encouraged it can be a lot of fun.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:58 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Planescape
Neverwinter Nights
Fallout 2
Old 09-15-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Morrowind, very good, any veteran or newb always has something new to discover, but the magic system is totally different. Warcraft III is awesome, but its not an RPG. Lionheart seems interesting, yet to read about it.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:22 PM   #10
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Oh, Lionheart looks excellent. I downloaded the demo (from their site! [img]tongue.gif[/img] - just to clarify things.) Like Neverwinter its only 1 person in a party, but the combat is cool. The game is very much combat orientated though, a lot of fighting. I think its better if you check it out for yourself:

Here is a load of info for Lionheart. Check it out, it looks very interesting.