Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Folks, I hear an assumption that once her piece of paper is gone, she'll magically be unable to drive a vehicle again. She won't, and she will be driving. It's a sad commentary on today's world that belongs in Current Events, I suspect.

Out here, we've had three newsworthy cases over the past year of unlicensed drivers getting into accidents and killing people. Quote one of them: "Well, I had to get to my job..." What? Your feet don't work? You don't have friends? If it's difficult, then maybe when you've got the privilege back, you'll appreciate it more.

However, in your shoes, Larry, I'd file the insurance claim. The fact that she may lose her license is not your problem, even though her dad asked to buy you off. It's not his problem, either; it's hers, and no one else's. Any arguments to the contrary are enabling her as a victim of the world, and depriving her of the opportunity to be responsible for her life.

If you do accept a payoff for this, will she be a better driver? Will she not have any more accidents? Or the next time she hits someone, will it not be just you in the car, but MaryBeth too? How was the spot where she would have been sitting?

As a dad, I'm sorry to pull out the heavy artillery like that, but it's a serious issue. Would she be able to buy her way out of this if MaryBeth were in the hospital?

Driving is a privilege, not a right. Period. This girl sounds like she doesn't know how to handle this privilege, and sad to say, she's not the only one who gets affected by it.

Steering a ton of plastic, steel, and combustible fluids is not something to be taken lightly. The penalty for failure can be death... the driver's, or someone else's. You may be able to change that.

She mucked up. She should pay the price. Pure and simple.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #12
Skippy1
Elminster

Hear what your saying Bungleau, but if you read the last paragraph of Larry's post, if he reports it to his insurance company his own premiums will go up as well. While I agree the girl will get off scott free, it means that Larry doesn't have to pay for something that was her fault, if he can take the money.

Just my 2cents worth.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
Hear what your saying Bungleau, but if you read the last paragraph of Larry's post, if he reports it to his insurance company his own premiums will go up as well. While I agree the girl will get off scott free, it means that Larry doesn't have to pay for something that was her fault, if he can take the money.

Just my 2cents worth.
That's right. Now I have been told that I have no obligation to call my ins. But that her's is the one for me to call. Is that right? Would I still be able to keep it on the low with my ins?

I had the car towed to a body repair shop to get an estimate on damages. I want to see what they say first. They are going to take pictures before they tear into my car, in case I do decide to call ins. I am told that as long as a police report exists, there is no reason to have to call within 24 hours, that I have a couple days.

Meanwhile, I am trying to secure a rental that may or may not have to come from my pocket. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, I am going to have that number ready to the ins. in case this guy makes a wrong move. I will get on a payphone if I have to and call right there in front of him.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:58 AM   #14
Seraph
Quintesson

I agree with Ziroc, this really sounds like a scam.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I think you should ask for cash, for how much the vehicle will cost to get repaired plus a few more grand, if she wants to stay on the road, she should pay a price.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

You should have called the cops if you were in an accident serious enough to total your car. If I were you I'd call the cops now and go fill out a report, hopefully there were witnesses because if that guy is scamming you than he's getting his kids car fixed right now and he'll just say "what accident, my kid wasn't in an accident".

Get cash in hand in VERY short order or you may get scammed.

I'd also worry about "letting her off the hook" coming back and biting me in the ass if I were you. What if next month she kills someone and they find out that you could have gotten her off the road by reporting your accident but didn't? Up here in the Litigous State of NY there's people that sue for less... not sure if it'd go anywhere but they'd try.

[ 04-20-2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 04-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Personally Larry, I think you'd do better listening to your common sense and morality than to greed.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:57 PM   #18
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I'd ask for the sum of what it's going to cost to fix, plus, say $500 because while an accident's an accident, this is extra hassle you don't need and didn't ask for. Dont bother with insurance companies since both you and her will lose out in the long run. Just make damn sure you dont get scammed or ripped off.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #19
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Larry,

Call the insurance company!

If the police were actually called to the scene, then the girl's fate is probably already sealed. Her "points" will be determined, iirc, on whether the police have issued a traffic citation and have charged her with any number of offenses. That's the way it works in a number of states.

As for the insurance, you don't need to contact YOUR insurance company at all. Again, assuming a police report exists that cites the girl as being at fault, you should go directly to HER insurance company. You should INSIST on them reimbursing you for the cost a rental vehicle. Most insurance companies will pay for a couple of days without question and longer if necessary.

It sounds to me like the father is trying to do two things: (1) Keep HIS insurance rates from going up, and (2) Protect his daughter's driving privileges so HE isn't bothered with having to chauffer her around.

I wouldn't even give this a second thought! Call her insurance company!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 04-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #20
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:

It sounds to me like the father is trying to do two things: (1) Keep HIS insurance rates from going up, and (2) Protect his daughter's driving privileges so HE isn't bothered with having to chauffer her around.

I wouldn't even give this a second thought! Call her insurance company!
I am thinking they may not even have insurance.

[ 04-20-2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]