Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 10:56 PM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
20 beers don't make my head spin, 40 maybe, i'll have to test that next weekend.
Yeah, right. You may be an alcoholic, but you're still human. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2004, 12:23 AM   #12
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
20 beers don't make my head spin, 40 maybe, i'll have to test that next weekend.
Yeah, right. You may be an alcoholic, but you're still human. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Human? No, more like the Man of Steel... liver [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2004, 05:45 AM   #13
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by General Nosaj:
Do you know how that ranks with the rest of Europe? I wouldn't be suprised that other European countries would be worse off.
I read that Estonia, my little East-European country, has one of the lowest percentage of analphabetic people in the world, mind you.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:55 AM   #14
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The veracity of statistics aside, why do you find it sad? Is literacy a pre-requisite to happiness? Do you think pre-literate nomads were/are in a state of constant depression?
By all means enjoy your literacy if you feel so inclined. I think that skills=power. But illiteracy is not something to look down on or pity.

[ 04-19-2004, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 04-19-2004, 06:40 AM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
quote:
Yeah, right. You may be an alcoholic, but you're still human. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]It's still true though. Can't help it.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:11 AM   #16
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
The veracity of statistics aside, why do you find it sad? Is literacy a pre-requisite to happiness? Do you think pre-literate nomads were/are in a state of constant depression?
Sweden introduced a mandatory public school system 1842, and I assumed the Netherlands, being somewhat similar to Sweden, had a similar system. Is there a public scholl system in the Netherlands? :1ponders: If it was introduced 20 years ago I would have understood how some of the elderly had trouble reading, but if it's a hundred years old? I don't know if 10% is good or bad overall in the Western world, but it sounds fairly high in my ears.

No, literacy isn't important for happiness, but it's a fairly basic skill to have in our modern society. Besides, the pre-literate nomads had no need of literacy since there were nothing to read.
Quote:

By all means enjoy your literacy if you feel so inclined. I think that skills=power. But illiteracy is not something to look down on or pity.
But literacy IS a skill, and a powerful one to boot. And I don't look down on or pity people who have trouble reading, I just consider them to be at a slight disadvantage overall compared to they ones that reads well.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:23 AM   #17
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
If you were illiterate you wouldn't be able to post on IW and that would detract from your happiness. Reading brings happiness in so many little ways, not to mention the usefulness of it in our modern society without which your quality of life would be far lower. Surely I don't need to spell it out

Whoever asked, 10% is very high. In western Europe at least illiteracy tends to be around 1%. It's much higher in some 3rd world countries.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-19-2004, 08:24 AM   #18
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Yeah, right. You may be an alcoholic, but you're still human. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]It's still true though. Can't help it. [/QUOTE] Oh Johnny, you are sooo cooool! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2004, 08:31 AM   #19
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
If you were illiterate you wouldn't be able to post on IW and that would detract from your happiness. Reading brings happiness in so many little ways, not to mention the usefulness of it in our modern society without which your quality of life would be far lower. Surely I don't need to spell it out

Whoever asked, 10% is very high. In western Europe at least illiteracy tends to be around 1%. It's much higher in some 3rd world countries.
But if I were illiterate it is unlikely that I would know or care about IW. Ignorance is bliss.

If you don't have the 'literacy is vital' argument drummed into your head from birth it is unlikely that you are going to experience any anxiety over not being able to read or write.
Likewise, if you don't have the 'fat is ugly' argument drummed into your head (which is argued for, subtly and not-so-subtly by 'the media'), then you are unlikely to feel anxiety about putting on a few pounds [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm not saying literacy isn't valuable, quite the contrary. I just don't believe that it is necessary for happiness, and a low rate of national literacy is not a sad thing.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #20
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
I always thought that the Dutch could speak 4 languages by the time they were 10 years old!

How do they define trouble? It does seem a dodgy survey, after all 87.456% of all statistics are made up on the spot (like this one)
Heh.. the source is the Dutch Government, and I don't think they enjoy making themselves look worse then they really are. Hierophant: I don't think literacy is a requirement for happiness, it is our educational system I consider to be sad.

[ 04-22-2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]