Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Fellow Ironworkers i'am asking for wisdom. As a new home owner, and low on tool funds, I throw this to you.

Projects:
Shelving
Finishing Basement
Outside shed
Deck additions
Garage additions

You get the jist. Anyhow, I only have enough money to add a single high dollar tool. I do not plan to buy two cheap 'no-namers' in order to have both for the price of one major brand. I have learned my lesson in this arena.
Table Saw OR Miter Saw?
Both are DeWalts, Table Saw is 10", Miter is 12". I will also purchase the workstand that goes with it.

Experiences, reasons, and why/why not's fully accepted.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well I think I would go with the miter saw it gives you the abilty to cut angles with percision which is need for good work.

Table saw is a over rated circular saw.

And I would pick up a circular saw as well. Very nice to have when you need to rip plywood.

I just finshed all the framing and the wiring in my basement. And have at least 65% of the rock on the walls.

I am not to sure what else you have for hand tools. But you need a drill with good power. And some of the bits that go with the drill.

And a good level, a square is godsent and a good tape meaasure. Some of these smaller tools Iam sure you have.

If you need any advice on wiring let me know. There is some little things that are important to know before you run wire.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm with Mack. There's little you can do with a table saw that you can't do with a circular saw, and for your projects, I don't really see where it would help (unless you're going to do fancy joint mortising and stuff like that). I'd go with the miter saw... and make sure it's got enough height to support more than you'd ever want to run through it, and a simple but sturdy mechanism for holding things in place while you cut. I regret that little aspect on the inexpensive jobbie that I picked up...

Some of the local hardware stores around here will let you rent tools instead of buying them. It's a good option if you're only going to need it once, but I've found that by the inevitable second rental, I could have bought one....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote