Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 08:54 PM   #21
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
just to clarify it was a rather bad experiance. first of all, i went from a mouse with 4 buttons and a wheel to 0buttons.
then i found i had to use function keys to open the programs i wanted. not that i knew what programs to open [img]smile.gif[/img]
its funny, i do techsupport and can waltz my way around a pc but once i sat down at a mac, i had to be shown around like a 5 year old by my non techie friend.
(btw rudy- the DVD-RW drive that my company has been selling does all three in the same drive. we've never sold one that didnt. the only reason we didnt start them when the mac did is we were waiting for some kind of standardization in the industry before we dedicated to one.)
I have similar problems all the time at school...
I have used a 1 button, 2 button, 3 button, 4 button, and once even a 5 button mouse. These things dont have any buttons. How are you meant to click ?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I want help using a program. Ok, hit F1. "The function keys (F1-F12) can be programmed for various functions..."

Im using a word processor (of all the things it could be, its Claris Doesnt Work...), ok I want a centered heading, large text, different font. Center- Ctrl-E ... wierd message.
Font Size- Ctrl-Shift-P ... wierder message.
Font- Ctrl-Shift-F ... it goes to sleep. (and they say WINdoze ??)

Time to logout-
Logout= Start-Shut Down- Logout.
Err... wheres the start menu ?? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

On the internet- ok, we use IE... thats ok.
Execpt for the fact that it looks *realy* stupid; and doesnt support the scroll bar colours... so IW on one of those things has an ugly blue scroll bar.

The mac Keyboards- two Delete keys. One deletes, the other backspaces. 2 buttons... 2 functions... same name ??
And you cant adjust the height, angle or anything of the moniter- NOT ergonomical at all.

And some of the Imacs at school dont have any option to change the volume!! Horrible things...
Old 04-26-2002, 09:01 PM   #22
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
just to clarify it was a rather bad experiance. first of all, i went from a mouse with 4 buttons and a wheel to 0buttons.
then i found i had to use function keys to open the programs i wanted. not that i knew what programs to open [img]smile.gif[/img]
its funny, i do techsupport and can waltz my way around a pc but once i sat down at a mac, i had to be shown around like a 5 year old by my non techie friend.
(btw rudy- the DVD-RW drive that my company has been selling does all three in the same drive. we've never sold one that didnt. the only reason we didnt start them when the mac did is we were waiting for some kind of standardization in the industry before we dedicated to one.)
I have similar problems all the time at school...
I have used a 1 button, 2 button, 3 button, 4 button, and once even a 5 button mouse. These things dont have any buttons. How are you meant to click ?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I want help using a program. Ok, hit F1. "The function keys (F1-F12) can be programmed for various functions..."

Im using a word processor (of all the things it could be, its Claris Doesnt Work...), ok I want a centered heading, large text, different font. Center- Ctrl-E ... wierd message.
Font Size- Ctrl-Shift-P ... wierder message.
Font- Ctrl-Shift-F ... it goes to sleep. (and they say WINdoze ??)

Time to logout-
Logout= Start-Shut Down- Logout.
Err... wheres the start menu ?? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

On the internet- ok, we use IE... thats ok.
Execpt for the fact that it looks *realy* stupid; and doesnt support the scroll bar colours... so IW on one of those things has an ugly blue scroll bar.

The mac Keyboards- two Delete keys. One deletes, the other backspaces. 2 buttons... 2 functions... same name ??
And you cant adjust the height, angle or anything of the moniter- NOT ergonomical at all.

And some of the Imacs at school dont have any option to change the volume!! Horrible things...
[/QUOTE]Its called a 1 button mouse. Figure it out. I've never heard of 2 delete keys on a Mac. Imacs have volume control. You are just too used to PC's. I'll agree with you on Clarisworks and thats IT! You PC users worship Bill Gates like he's a god. He got his computor system from macs in the 80's.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:04 PM   #23
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Yep. Apples were way more user friendly and had more power in the 80's. Windows were entirly work related, no mouse or anything like that. I believe it just held information and did limited stuff. Apple INVENTED the mouse and it INVENTED the 'Desktop' idea and the Trash etc. Gates took it all from them and made it better.
And that happens quite a bit in computers. Same thing has happened between IE and netscape... both have their pros and cons (respectively [img]tongue.gif[/img] ); both have tags which only they support.
There is now a push for standardisation with browsers (the World Wide Web Consortium), and so if there isnt one for Operating systems then there will be soon.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:18 PM   #24
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Slackerboy you are such a punk [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 04-26-2002, 09:50 PM   #25
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Yep. Apples were way more user friendly and had more power in the 80's. Windows were entirly work related, no mouse or anything like that. I believe it just held information and did limited stuff. Apple INVENTED the mouse and it INVENTED the 'Desktop' idea and the Trash etc. Gates took it all from them and made it better.
Check your facts. Actually Xerox invented the mouse and Steve Jobs stole it from them.

Using your analogy, let's look at cars. Henry Ford built the first assembly line car. Using your method of reasoning, that would make Mercedes and BMW inferior cars to any Ford, just because Ford INVENTED the assembly line. I believe your logic is flawed my friend.

Also, you said Gates "stole" the desktop and trash and what not and made it better. That would imply that it is better now then, right? If that's what you mean then we're in complete agreement.

[ 04-26-2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: MILAMBER ]
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 04-26-2002, 10:02 PM   #26
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Probably the worst thing that happened to computers was Windows 9x (or 2000, now).

Mind you, I'm not a fan of Apples or Macs, either.

Why couldn't we just have the good old-fashioned IBMs with Windows 3.1 or 3.11? Everything was so much easier and more efficient.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:14 PM   #27
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
Probably the worst thing that happened to computers was Windows 9x (or 2000, now).

Mind you, I'm not a fan of Apples or Macs, either.

Why couldn't we just have the good old-fashioned IBMs with Windows 3.1 or 3.11? Everything was so much easier and more efficient.
I disagree. The worst thing to happen to computers is Windows XP.

Windows ME is IMO the best thing to happen to them since 3.11

Incedentally, I still have a laptop here somewhere with Windows 3.11, and DOS6...
Old 04-26-2002, 11:33 PM   #28
Sir Michael
Manshoon

What's the matter with XP? I like it. It is more stable than the Win9x versions, and has a cooler GUI. It's performance is up to par with the earlier versions of windows, and it is better at detecting and configuring different types of hardware.

You REALLY don't want to go back to the bad old days of Win 3.11 and DOS. Every piece of software had to have its own hardware configuration settings! And heaven help you if you had a new printer that your word processor didn't recognize. Or a new sound card that the game you want to play doesn't like. Does anyone else remember tweaking AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, just to get that last kb free from the 640K, so your programs would run? Or worse, having to have boot disks to make things work!

I, for one, have enough headaches in my life without worrying endlessly about how to get my computer to run, or whether it will run at all.
\"You see things; and you say \'Why?\' But I dream things that never were; and I say \'Why not?\'\"<br />-George Bernard Shaw<br /><br />\"Men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities.\"<br />-Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 04-27-2002, 03:22 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:

Because we would have died waiting to check our email....

http://www.hughwilson.com