Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2001, 04:46 PM   #1
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Maybe everyone here should take some time off from the forum for a bit -- do whatever you like that calms you down and clears your head.

This past weekend, after feeling rather discouraged by things in general, I had the pleasure of taking a canoe trip on a section of the French Broad River in North Carolina.

The tranquilty of quietly paddling down the river, away from the news or tv or the computer or others distractions of civilization, did wonders for my soul. Just the gentle murmur of the water, the singing of birds along the shore, the brilliant colors of wildflowers, the clear blue sky above strectching outwards into infinity was a much needed antidote to the noise of our culture and the events of the past week, shouted so loudly and shrilly to the point where one can hardly think anymore.

On the river there was no Bush. There was no Bin-Laden. There was no sign anywhere, no hint at all, of war or terrorism or any of the stupid things that people do to one another. Just the peaceful, simple beauty of mother nature, whose quiet voice is all too often drowned out by the din of our "sophisticated" culture. Just a chance to listen undistracted to mother nature's quiet whisperings, and the silent wisdom of the heart.

I returned with my soul filled.

Old 09-17-2001, 05:01 PM   #2
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Yea, I like weekends away, my just past 2 day absence becase i went down to london, a "nice" 4 hour drive each way! But I See What You Mean.. Weekends Away Are Nice!

------------------

Smoke Me A Kipper, I'll Be Back For Breakfast

The Clan HADB Cleric Of Sephiroth + Jenova
Old 09-17-2001, 05:03 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I like to engage in quiet reflection outside regardless of the weather.
Old 09-17-2001, 05:08 PM   #4
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Regardless Is Such A Broad Word, It Could Be Monsoon And Gale Force Winds
Old 09-17-2001, 05:11 PM   #5
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
LOL. Excellent point

Old 09-17-2001, 05:11 PM   #6
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Lol hahahhahhah...ROFLMAO!!!!...true enough.

Ok unless the weather is of cataclysmic proportions and is actually preventing me from quietly reflecting then i like to quietly reflect outside!

[This message has been edited by Djinn Raffo (edited 09-17-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 05:35 PM   #7
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

What a great idea! Am going to go fishing right now, it is sunny and beautiful here in montana right now, and in the fall we keep the heat of the day up til absolute dark. Time to get some adult fermented beverage, suicidal worms, and get out on the water. Thanks for the great reminder, Dio.

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy. Nuke'm til the damn camels glow.
Old 09-17-2001, 05:57 PM   #8
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm, yeah. Haven't done the nature thing in quite a while. Funny, really. I spent SO much time, as a child, just lying in the grass in a field, lying on my front watching the insects in the grass jungle, or on my back watching cloud pictures in the sky, and birds swooping for high flying bugs, and the sound of the natural world all about me - birdsong, rustles in the grass, wind in the trees. Sometimes, it was so quiet I could even hear the noise of caterpillars (butterfly larvae) chewing leaves if I held my head close enough. Just thinking about it is refreshing. Thanks, Dio.

------------------

Old 09-17-2001, 06:01 PM   #9
Lord Shield

The Sun is shining, The birds are tweeting, but I'm still going to blat beasties on the PC

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 09-17-2001, 06:22 PM   #10
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Hm, yeah. Haven't done the nature thing in quite a while.

Get yourself down to Cannon Hill Park and hug some trees!

------------------