Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2003, 05:50 PM   #11
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Leslie:
Another nice tactic is to use Firetooth Crossbow with normal bolts. They go through PFMW but also inlict fire damage.
Should work with Gesen + Arrows, too, no?
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 05:54 PM   #12
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Smite:
I wonder. Ive noticed the vorpal sword works wonders on mages with stoneskin. If i were to score a lucky hit on ol jonny? Or would his PfMW block the insta-slaying ability. We shall see.
The biggest difference between Stoneskin and Pro-Magical-Weapons is that while item effects like Celestial Fury's stunning, Flail of Ages' slowing the the Vorpal Sword's slaying will cut through Stoneskin like knife through butter (note: only the item's effect goes through, the physical damage is still blocked), they'll all be stopped cold by Pro-Magical-Weapons.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:51 PM   #13
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

Never have I seen such an equal match. For a good long while (i have quite lost track of time) I have battled with the shattered one. His magic is no match for my regeneration, resistences, and cloak of cheese. My sword and abilities are no match for his fireshields and healing. This could very well be one of those legendary tales of two opposite foes who are cursed to an eternity of battle in some forgotten plane. Both are the strongest and most vile of their kind, but neither can gain an edge over the other, so the battle goes on...

My game is paused right now, and i have one question, probably best answerable by weimer. Does The Shattered One have a a spell list that will be used up eventually, or do his casting abilities have no end?
Lord Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:47 PM   #14
Lord Smite
Dungeon Master

Hahahahaha. Wow. Weimer, I applaud you on an exellent job with Improved Irenicus. Grishnak has finally overcome this fight, now I'm off to ToB. The 3rd stage of this fight took me upwards of 2 hours, battling solo against the mage. Smite is still my favorite HLA.
Lord Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:55 PM   #15
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I need some help with this final fight. Irenicus and his his "personality facets" are handing my head with depressing regularity.

My party consists of -

Wizard Slayer / Thief
Minsc
Keldorn
Jaheira
Imoen

My Wizard Slayer/Thief has the upgraded Celestial Fury and the Acid Katana (from Kuroisan), among other fine weapons.
Minsc swings Flail of Ages and Crom Faeyr but also has a nice +4 sword he has been switching too when Crom Faeyr disappears.
Keldorn has an upgraded Hallowed Redeemer and (of course) the Holy Avenger.
Jaheira has the +3 Spear of Throwing from the group outside of Watchers Keep, Staff of the Woodlands, Staff of Thunder and Lightning, and Staff of Elemental Mastery.
Imoen uses the Staff of Magi (naturally).

I've tried several different tactics, all with very little success so far. I've used my spells and staves to summon elementals, devas, and a planatar to start with...then followed that with Shambling Mounds from the Elemental Staff. None of them were effective against any of the enemies.

I've tried setting out all my "special traps" beforehand. Any damage they do is a immediately erased with their next healing session.

I've tried running for cover to do a "Divide and Conquer" scenario, but I couldn't retreat down the staircase I chose (leading to the room that had the beholders in it). All I accomplished that time was putting my party in a nice tight little group for Irenicus and company to blast with spells.

I've tried having Imoen use her Time Stop spells, but she has been hit before she could even get the first one off. After that, things go downhill quickly. I'm still going to try this scenario and buff Imoen a little better against magical attacks.

There are several things I would like to know before attempting this fight again...so PLEASE SPOIL ME!!!!

1) Which items do Irenicus and his buddies take? I know they take the Acid Katana, Crom Faeyr, and Cloak of Mirroring (from Minsc). What other two items do they normally take, because I haven't noticed anything missing from the others (which means I haven't tried to use them yet).

2) Please provide specific battle tactics you have used to overcome these guys. Will the "Divide and Conquer" work with Improved Irenicus, or am I trapped and unable to go to another area where I could hopefully face Irenicus' minions 1-2 at a time?

3) When I do finally manage to get past the first stage, what can I expect from stage 2 and 3 of this fight. I've use the SEARCH function and read a couple of accounts of these fights, but nothing that really provides specific info or strategies for beating these fights.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and would keep the player from failing his Save vs Insanity.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:03 PM   #16
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
I need some help with this final fight. Irenicus and his his "personality facets" are handing my head with depressing regularity.

There are several things I would like to know before attempting this fight again...so PLEASE SPOIL ME!!!!

1) Which items do Irenicus and his buddies take? I know they take the Acid Katana, Crom Faeyr, and Cloak of Mirroring (from Minsc). What other two items do they normally take, because I haven't noticed anything missing from the others (which means I haven't tried to use them yet).

2) Please provide specific battle tactics you have used to overcome these guys. Will the "Divide and Conquer" work with Improved Irenicus, or am I trapped and unable to go to another area where I could hopefully face Irenicus' minions 1-2 at a time?

3) When I do finally manage to get past the first stage, what can I expect from stage 2 and 3 of this fight. I've use the SEARCH function and read a couple of accounts of these fights, but nothing that really provides specific info or strategies for beating these fights.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and would keep the player from failing his Save vs Insanity.
1-Crom Fayer,Sanchudokuu,Cloak of Mirroring,Amulet of Power,Robe Of Vecna.

2-Well i don`t know. Summon some monsters to distract Wraith Of Wrath,cast Project Image. With the PI(Project Image) cast Time Stop,and aim the Orb Of Fear. Than go kill the Dragon. Be sure to use Spell Trap(via SotM) to regain your spells. Try diffrent tactis. If you fail post here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

After this fight you can accept quite a harder fight. For the third fight I recommend that you kill Irenicus with a Sling,becuase if you come to close he will Teleport so keep distance and shoot it with normal bullets becuase he always cast PfMW.

Hope some of this will help!
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Improved Ireny takes Sanchuudoku, the Shield of Balduran, Crom Faeyr, Cloak of Mirroring, and Amulet of Power. The Sword takes Sanchuudoku, the Beholder takes the Shield of Balduran, the Wraith takes Crom Faeyr, I think the Dragon takes the Amulet of Power, and Jonny boy himself takes the Cloak of Mirroring. You get the corresponding item back when you kill one of them.

As to tactics:

Erm... Okay. Prebuff like mad. Improved Haste for everyone if Imoen can afford it. Set everyone's AI (except for Imoen's and Keldorn's) to AGEN. Start the battle. Let Keldorn get LoS of the Dragon while the others kill off the Shadows. Imoen casts Time Stop, walks forward, then kills off the Dragon (using Improved Alacrity + battle spells) I would suggest having a Spell Trigger with 3x Lower Resistance in it for the Dragon, so that you can still have a few for the Sword.

Critical Strike for the Wraith. Lower Resistance on the Sword, then Magic Missile it to death. I usually just use a Planetar to kill off the Beholder, but you don't have enough spells. Just keep Imoen out of the way so that she doesn't get Magic Shattered or an Anti-Magic Ray cast at her. Then, pound him into a pulp.

By now, you should have Sanchuudoku. Equip it and CF and Greater Malison to lower the saves, then Stun him.

2nd phase:

Most straightforward of them all. If you really have trouble, then drop the Boots of Speed at the place where you appear (on the stairs), then dash in and get you stuff.

3rd phase:

Equip the Cloak of Mirroring (there's a bug where you might not get it back- it's either because it's nowhere to be found, or where the first Irenicus drops- CLUA it in if you don't get it back), get his attention, lead him away from the party, then wait out his protection spells. Then, pound him into a pulp.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:54 PM   #18
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Oh and don`t bother with sumons in ths phase. Johnny Boy will ignore them.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:01 AM   #19
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I had a little success with the new tactics listed. I actually mananged to injure the dragon and Wraith of Wrath before being killed this time. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

My biggest problem is that I'm not used to high-level mage spells and I'm obviously not using them to my full advantage. So here are some questions I have before my next round with this group.

1) How long does Time Stop last and how many spells can I cast while it is in effect? I'm starting with Improved Alacrity to speed my spellcasting. With that, I managed to get 3 (maybe 4) spells off. Without the Improved Alacrity, I seem to only get 2-3 spells off.

2) Should I cast Improved Alacrity before the Time Stop, or after?

3) Can I "stack" Time Stops? In other words, can I cast another Time Stop (from a scroll) as my last spell during the current Time Stop?

4) Is there ANY way to move to another room and fight these guys 1-2 at a time? I'm a firm believer in "Divide and Conquer", but my one attempt at that failed miserably. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

5) Is there any way to cancel or negate an existing Spell Trigger or Spell Sequencer besides combat? I had set up a Spell Trigger before facing Irenicus in the Tree of Life. The spells I loaded then (but didn't use) aren't really the ones I would like to have now, but I can't set up a second Spell Trigger or Sequencer until the current one is used.

Thanks for all the advice. At least I did manage to draw blood from my opponents this time. That's a step in the right direction.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:31 AM   #20
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
I had a little success with the new tactics listed.

1) How long does Time Stop last and how many spells can I cast while it is in effect? I'm starting with Improved Alacrity to speed my spellcasting. With that, I managed to get 3 (maybe 4) spells off. Without the Improved Alacrity, I seem to only get 2-3 spells off.

2) Should I cast Improved Alacrity before the Time Stop, or after?

3) Can I "stack" Time Stops? In other words, can I cast another Time Stop (from a scroll) as my last spell during the current Time Stop?

4) Is there ANY way to move to another room and fight these guys 1-2 at a time? I'm a firm believer in "Divide and Conquer", but my one attempt at that failed miserably. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

5) Is there any way to cancel or negate an existing Spell Trigger or Spell Sequencer besides combat? I had set up a Spell Trigger before facing Irenicus in the Tree of Life. The spells I loaded then (but didn't use) aren't really the ones I would like to have now, but I can't set up a second Spell Trigger or Sequencer until the current one is used.

Thanks for all the advice. At least I did manage to draw blood from my opponents this time. That's a step in the right direction.
1-Time Stop lasts three rounds IIRC

2-After.

3-Lasts three rounds IIRC

4-I don`t know becuase I never used the D&C tactic to beat them. I usually just think during the fight.

5-Well just summon something and cast Spell Tigger on it. Otherwise, no.