Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
deniser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am on Chapter 5 and trying to get in to talk to Adalon, the dragon. I know he wants me to get his eggs but I cannot get into the cave to talk to him because it says I need LIGHT. WHat do I do to get light? I don't have any light spells or torches......help!!
Old 07-16-2002, 10:40 AM   #2
Silver
Dungeon Master

Go talk to the dwarves in the north west portion of the screen. Talk to all of them and eventually you'll find the one that will give you a quest to destroy a demon, once that's done you'll get the light gem you need and some equipment and xp.
\"Good hips, breed like cow, strong like ox. Hitch to plow when horse dies.\"-Kethry.<br /><br />\"I keep looking, but I runnings out of recipes soon. Needs to find Martha, soon. She around hell somewhere, I thinks.\"-Cespenar
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:45 AM   #3
deniser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks but I could never kill that beast......I was going to skip that part. He totally wipes my party out immediately. Any suggestions on how to handle that? I've been stuck on this game for a long time. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:49 AM   #4
Silver
Dungeon Master

You need 3+ weapons I think to hit it, and the space you have to bunch around it is minimal. Try putting some of your weaker characters in the back and using ranged items while putting about three tanks upfront to hammer at the demon. Use some spell turning spells to avoid the hold and confusion spells it casts..Other than that the only thing you can really do unless you've got some powerful mages in your party is kill the duegar you get the quest from and take the gem from him..might be able to pickpocket it from him too. Though that's evil and such.
\"Good hips, breed like cow, strong like ox. Hitch to plow when horse dies.\"-Kethry.<br /><br />\"I keep looking, but I runnings out of recipes soon. Needs to find Martha, soon. She around hell somewhere, I thinks.\"-Cespenar
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:51 AM   #5
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Killing that beast was pretty easy for me, with a monk you have high magic resistance and can absorb the balor's spells, or you can cast chaotic commands on your warriors and dont forget the resist fear spell either, then send them in to hit it hard and voila, a dead monster! Hope that helps ya out.
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:52 AM   #6
deniser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks I'll try it.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the Ironworks Forums, deniser and whacky.

As for the Balor problem, consider using summons to help tank for you. Your weaker party members should be positioned as far away as possible from the Balor's spawning position, while your strongest party member summons it.

Use Free Action on your melee troops to counter the Demon's paralytic gaze, and Resist Fear to counter the Demon fear. You need +3 enchanted or better weapons to hurt the Balor by the way.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:11 PM   #8
Shadowfax
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by deniser:
Thanks but I could never kill that beast......I was going to skip that part. He totally wipes my party out immediately. Any suggestions on how to handle that? I've been stuck on this game for a long time. Thanks.
I have problems with him too, but here's what I did. Before I summoned him, I cast lots of spells on my party, protection from fear, protection from evil, from petrification, etc. I also caste haste. I had my too spell casters, Aerie and Imoen stay back, then summoned him. I summoned lots of monsters and used a spell that's really good against demons (errmmm... forgot what it was) and let him focus on one person while the others attacked him. When they were hurt badly, I'd pull them out so he'd attack some one else, then I'd have them attack him again... basically, rotate people. ^_^
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:18 PM   #9
philip
Galvatron

If you have a cleric or mage (lvl 15 or higher) in your party you could try to use 'animate dead' (lvl 4 spell)to summon a couple of skeleton warriors. With haste they can take the balor down to nearly death (or kill him). With your other mages or clerics you can try to lower its resistance or fire off some offensive spells. Once the Balor attacks your skeleton warriors you can assign your tanks to attack it too (if you attack him too early with your tanks the balor will leave your summons and attack your characters, and that's not what you want)
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 08:53 AM   #10
Nocturno
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I didn't really feel like fighting the demon either, but then I thought: "Ah, what the heck"! All in all, it went quite well. This is what I did:

Bless - Chant - Luck (on my main tank) - Protection from Evil 10' radius - haste - Defensive Harmony -Lower Resistance - Greater Malison - Doom - Doom - Bolt of Glory - Finger of Death - GROUP CHARGE>>>> dead demon.

I also summoned a Fire Elemental to distract the demon, but I didn't even need it. Too bad for the wasted spell though.

[ 08-04-2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Nocturno ]
Nocturno is offline   Reply With Quote