Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2003, 03:54 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Oceania hits out at Blatter

The Oceania footballing community has reacted angrily to Fifa's decision to strip it of an automatic place in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The Oceania Confederation had won the right to direct entry, instead of via a play-off, to the next World Cup after Fifa president Sepp Blatter made it one of his re-election pledges.

But that decision was oveturned on Saturday when Fifa's executive committee voted overwhelmingly 22-1 to give Oceania's slot to the South Americans.

"In my view, the decision is a disgrace and I think it is politically driven to accommodate the powerful South Americans," said Oceania Confederation President Basil Scarsella.

"It's unethical, it's immoral, call it what you like."

The South American federation, Conmebol, had lobbied strongly for the number of teams competing in the 2006 World Cup to be increased from 32 to 36.

Conmebol argued it had effectively been deprived of a place after Fifa ruled that World Cup winners, in this case Brazil, would not qualify automatically for the next tournament.

Fifa pointed to New Zealand's recent poor performance at the Confederations Cup in France and Soccer Australia's administrative problems as reasons for the move.

But Scarsella hit back and said: "These are excuses more than reasons in my mind.

"The executive committee had overwhelmingly supported them in the past and now they've gone 180 degrees.

"Clearly it's a significant setback for soccer in this region and for the credibility of Fifa.

"I guess we need to look now at what is the best play-off mechanism that is on offer."

Story from BBC SPORT:

When you're down you're really down!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-30-2003, 04:52 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

I always thought it was unfair to exclude a whole continent from the WORLD cup.
I'd like to see if Saudi Arabia would qualify if they had to play Uruguay in the playoffs instead of getting there right away.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:19 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I heard England voted against us because they couldn't bear the embarassment of a repeat performance
Old 06-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

Good one Davros!!!

Shame that!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:45 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Yeah beating England has worried a lot of nations. so they are still going to call it a world cup tho' nearly a quater of the world is excluded. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I'll stick to rugby league and OZ rules instead. If they are scared of us then %uc$ em.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-01-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Yeah beating England has worried a lot of nations. so they are still going to call it a world cup tho' nearly a quater of the world is excluded. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I'll stick to rugby league and OZ rules instead. If they are scared of us then %uc$ em.
You're still in it Wellard, you just have to beat someone like Iran to qualify.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 07-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

Are you guys talking about soccer again? [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

Of course.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:55 PM   #9
B_part
Quintesson

FIFA souns quite like MAfia, don't you think so? If you don't, take a look at the last koran world cup, where everything was tried (and done) to allow south korea to get to the semi finals.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:28 AM   #10
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Are you guys talking about soccer again? [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Biggest sport in the world man!

Only 45 days 2 hours and 32 minutes left until the new season starts!