Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2002, 01:39 PM   #11
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
If you wait until Yorick reappears, you might like to ask him. I have it on good authority that he is an expert in matters electrical
As am I Mousie [img]smile.gif[/img] 24 months intensive Military training on the subject [img]smile.gif[/img] BE&E (Basic Electronics and Electricity...don't let the basic throw you it was basic because you had to master that class before becomming a spook) taught in Orlando and Pensacola. Basicly a 4 year degree program crammed into half the time [img]smile.gif[/img] Sir K got the right of it.

What it comes down to though in simple terms, with a normal 2 or 3 prong plug, you are looking at 110 to 120 volts My personal experience is that it is usually closer to 110 than 120. At 50 to 60 cycles....usually closer to 60 than 50. why the variences? beats me, never thought to ask about it....most likely due to transmission losses and innefficiencies.

Wave forms and amplifiers and phase shifts ...Oh My!

Oh wait!!! I remember now..the 110 instead of 120 has to do with phase differentials and what the average difference is in potential...so while you have a 120volt total potential, you end up with less due to wave forms and stuff ....man it has been a long time [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-15-2002, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 07-15-2002, 01:46 PM   #12
MagiK

For my next trick Ill design several different voltage divider networks [img]smile.gif[/img] ...eeeegads...now I remember why I only do computer work now and not electronics.

Old 07-15-2002, 01:57 PM   #13
The Collective
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
If you wait until Yorick reappears, you might like to ask him. I have it on good authority that he is an expert in matters electrical
As am I Mousie [img]smile.gif[/img] 24 months intensive Military training on the subject [img]smile.gif[/img] BE&E (Basic Electronics and Electricity...don't let the basic throw you it was basic because you had to master that class before becomming a spook) taught in Orlando and Pensacola. Basicly a 4 year degree program crammed into half the time [img]smile.gif[/img] Sir K got the right of it.

What it comes down to though in simple terms, with a normal 2 or 3 prong plug, you are looking at 110 to 120 volts My personal experience is that it is usually closer to 110 than 120. At 50 to 60 cycles....usually closer to 60 than 50. why the variences? beats me, never thought to ask about it....most likely due to transmission losses and innefficiencies.

Oh wait!!! I remember now..the 110 instead of 120 has to do with phase differentials and what the average difference is in potential...so while you have a 120volt total potential, you end up with less due to wave forms and stuff ....man it has been a long time [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Non non non, MagiK, you don't get it at all. Yorick is an expert in a totally different area ... he's seen the Lights after all ...
Old 07-15-2002, 02:38 PM   #14
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]I'm sure you know this already MagiK, but I'm just going to ramble on for fun! The trouble with reality compared to math, is that measurements are all approximate, no value is ever truly zero, and every time you change the physical properties of something, no matter how efficient, you lose at least a small portion of energy in the process.

AC is unique in it's ability to produce rapidly rising and falling magnetic fields in the conductor. Magnetic fields store energy as they are generated, and release energy when they fall onto any conductor within the field. Make one coil of wire, and you have an electromagnet. Intermesh two thinly insulated coils of wire and you have a transformer. The ratio of coils of wire between the two coils determines the voltage conversion. It make s sense. The loops in the first coil determine the strength of the generated magnetic field. We all know that from electromagnet science projects in school. The loops in the second determine how much of the conductor is exposed to the falling magnetic field. The voltage of the induced current in the second coil is directly related to this. Now you can manipulate voltage! You can send high voltage through long distance wires, minimizing energy lost to heat from wire resistance, and convert that to a safer voltage at the consumer end! Since magnetism and electricity are nearly the same phenomina, this method of conversion is very efficient. Spiffy huh?
Old 07-15-2002, 02:46 PM   #15
The Collective
Manshoon

Quote:

Non non non, MagiK, you don't get it at all. Yorick is an expert in a totally different area ... he's seen the Lights after all ...
ROFL!!! Oh yeah, Yorick has definitely seen the lights - and felt them too...

[ 07-15-2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: The Collective ]
Old 07-15-2002, 02:47 PM   #16
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I'm sure you know this already MagiK, but I'm just going to ramble on for fun! The trouble with reality compared to math, is that measurements are all approximate, no value is ever truly zero, and every time you change the physical properties of something, no matter how efficient, you lose at least a small portion of energy in the process.

AC is unique in it's ability to produce rapidly rising and falling magnetic fields in the conductor. Magnetic fields store energy as they are generated, and release energy when they fall onto any conductor within the field. Make one coil of wire, and you have an electromagnet. Intermesh two thinly insulated coils of wire and you have a transformer. The ratio of coils of wire between the two coils determines the voltage conversion. It make s sense. The loops in the first coil determine the strength of the generated magnetic field. We all know that from electromagnet science projects in school. The loops in the second determine how much of the conductor is exposed to the falling magnetic field. The voltage of the induced current in the second coil is directly related to this. Now you can manipulate voltage! You can send high voltage through long distance wires, minimizing energy lost to heat from wire resistance, and convert that to a safer voltage at the consumer end! Since magnetism and electricity are nearly the same phenomina, this method of conversion is very efficient. Spiffy huh?
Eeewwwww dude!! you are taking back to all those electric/electronics classes....man 1980 to 1982 was a nightmare time of cramming for me....hehe wow hard to believe how long ago that was [img]smile.gif[/img] And yes the subject is quite fascinating....especially when studied at a more....leisurely pace [img]smile.gif[/img]

Waveguides, three way switches....inductance, impedance tuned coils and enough RF energy to make a guy produce FLK's....

err FLK's ar commonly refered to by civilians as "Funny Looking Kids" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2002, 03:36 PM   #17
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Eeewwwww dude!! you are taking back to all those electric/electronics classes....man 1980 to 1982 was a nightmare time of cramming for me....hehe wow hard to believe how long ago that was [img]smile.gif[/img] And yes the subject is quite fascinating....especially when studied at a more....leisurely pace [img]smile.gif[/img]

Waveguides, three way switches....inductance, impedance tuned coils and enough RF energy to make a guy produce FLK's....

err FLK's ar commonly refered to by civilians as "Funny Looking Kids" [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Yeah, I was never one much for the engineering stuff either. Fascinating to learn about, boring as hell to work with. Talk about endless math and formulae! I was into HAM radio for a while.I still have a call sign and the equipment. The problem is that HAM is a dying hobby. The equipment is expensive and there's hardly anyone to talk to who's young and fun. Plenty of dull rule followers though. I've found that many HAM's are kind of elitists. When they meet me, they see jock/intellectual-wanna-be. No fun to talk to at all. Most of the rest are either storm-chasers and/or so nerdy they make you want to cringe! I mean, everyone's got a little nerd in them but some of these guys take it to an extreme! The storm chasers are the best of the lot personality-wise, but usually have no clue about the intellectual aspect of the hobby. If it doesn't include a tornado, it's not worth knowing. Oh well. I have a habit of going seriously off-topic don't I?
Old 07-15-2002, 03:41 PM   #18
MagiK

Yep you sure do (and youdragged me right along) [img]smile.gif[/img] I would have been a HAM operator too but just could not muster the interest to learn Morse [img]smile.gif[/img] I am sooo lazy about some things [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2002, 04:23 PM   #19
The Collective
Manshoon

MagiK, fear not. It is a cheap jibe from mere peasants that I am an electrical expert. *sigh*
Arledrian, I managed to fry a tascam mixer (I think) by not checking the votage before I plugged it in. I had a socket changer, but I don't believe it reduced the volts from Europe's 220v to the USA's 120v. Australia has 220 or so as well.

As to the "expertism" I magaeed to wrestle with an electric fence the other day here, and touched a light, indescribably oblivious to the burning heat it would soon cause my guitarist fingers.

Alas poor Yorick, he was an idiot Horatio....
Old 07-15-2002, 04:30 PM   #20
Sorcerer Alex

Wow, never thought I could 'spark' off such an interesting conversation about electricity! Pardon the pun, I can't help being annoying