Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2002, 01:20 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Edited because I'm a complete asshole.

[ 05-06-2002, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 05-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #12
Hanz123
The Magister

you are comparing him to Hitler? Just say it out loud and think about what you said.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #13
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
i can see a lot of riotting coming on in the next few days, someone is going to pay the price here, i'm afraid.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #14
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:
Fortyun was not a 'nazi'
No, he wasn't, but he was as close as you could come.

Quote:
(and openly homosexual)
I don't see what that has to do with the issue.

Quote:
that fought ILLIGAL emigartion and crime
Along with legal immigrants... and yes, he wanted to fight crime, the same way the BNP do.

Quote:
But of course you're right - only I don't like those damn commies - so why don't I go out and kill a some 'reds' and some anarcists (yes I'm being sarcastic)
Why anarchists?? They aren't the same as commies, so I don't know why you included them.

I'm certainly not saying I advocate the killing of political enemies, but it happens, and someone is allowed to be relieved for that, not necessarily happy about it.

[ 05-06-2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Talthyr Malkaviel ]
Old 05-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #15
Donut
Jack Burton

Disagree with their policies, protest openly against them and make people aware of their fascist views. But there is no place for political assassination in a democratic country.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-06-2002, 01:28 PM   #16
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
i can see a lot of riotting coming on in the next few days, someone is going to pay the price here, i'm afraid.
I think democracy will pay the price. Good chance that he will be a martyr to a large part of the dutch population now, maybe all his ridiculous and hateful plans coul actually find a real basis now...

[ 05-06-2002, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 05-06-2002, 01:30 PM   #17
Talthyr Malkaviel

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Disagree with their policies, protest openly against them and make people aware of their fascist views. But there is no place for political assassination in a democratic country.
Yeah, he didn't deserve to be shot, they could have just let things run.. he was only predicted about 15% anyway, less then Le Pen got.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:33 PM   #18
Talthyr Malkaviel

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I think democracy will pay the price. Good chance that he will be a martyr to a large part of the dutch population now, maybe all his ridiculous and hateful plans coul actually find a real basis now...[/QUOTE]Well, I wouldn't say that large a part.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:34 PM   #19
Melusine
Dracolisk

Jesus Christ Epona, how dare you say such a thing???
Yes, I agree with Groj the man was bad news, but don't you see how terrible this is? I'm shocked - because of what happened, mainly, but also shocked that you can say such a cruel and unnecessary thing. Oh well, I consider you a good friend and still do, you probably spoke in a misplaced attempt at humour, so....

Now listen. NOTHING Pim Fortuyn could have done were he to have become a big party here is as bad as what this murderer has done. No matter how unsavoury his political views, he SHOULD NOT be killed for them. Can't you see that that is true facism? To kill a man for his beliefs? Let me assure you that even Fortuyn's most fierce opponents here in Holland will NOT be doing the happy happy joy joy dance right now - they are appalled, as are the people. This is NOT democracy.

Donut - thank you for that post - you have the right of it, friend.

Sorry if I reacted vehemently, but I still mean what I said.
And let me tell you, I was opposed to Fortuyn vrey much. I've had nightmares about his rising popularity, and sleepless nights. But to compare him to Hitler is idiotic. And I stress again, that NO ONE should be bloody KILLED for their beliefs - NO BODY.

[ 05-06-2002, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 05-06-2002, 01:37 PM   #20
Alexander
Drow Warrior

It looks like Godwin's law has taken place here.

Quote:
Godwins Law - As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
The implication being that whoever compared another person to a Nazi has killed the debate (and lost it).

I don't know too much about Fortuyn, except that he was right-wing. However, calling him a Nazi is going overboard, unless he literally wanted to "cleanse" the Earth the way Hitler tried to...

It is unfortunate that he was killed, no politician deserves that. The way to defeat politicians is not by gunshots, but by the voting booth.