Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2001, 09:32 PM   #21
Charean
Hathor

Once upon a time there was a drummer living in a small country village. He heard there was going to be a fair in the city of Benares. So he decided to go there and earn some money by playing his drums. He took his son along to accompany him when playing music written for two sets of drums.

The two drummers, father and son, went to the Benares Fair. They were very successful. Everyone liked their drum playing and gave generously to them. When the fair was over they began the trip home to their little village.

On the way they had to go through a dark forest. It was very dangerous because of muggers who robbed the travelers.

The drummer boy wanted to protect this father and himself from the muggers. So he beat his drums as loudly as he could, without stopping, "The more noise, the better!" he thought.

The drummer man took his son aside. He explained to him that when large groups passed by, especially royal processions, they were in the habit of beating drums. They did this at regular intervals, in a very dignified manner, as if they feared no one. They would beat a drum roll, remain silent, then beat again with a flourish, and so on. He told his son to do likewise, to fool the muggers into thinking there was a powerful lord passing by.

But the boy ignored his father's advice. He thought he knew best. "The more noise, the better!" he thought.

Meanwhile, a gang of muggers heard the boy's drumming. At first they thought it must be a powerful rich man approaching, with heavy security. But then they heard the drumming continue in a wild fashion without stopping. They realised that it sounded frantic, like a frightened little dog barking at a calm big dog.

So they went to investigate and found only the father and son. They beat them up, robbed all their hard-earned money, and escaped into the forest.

The moral is: Overdoing leads to a downfall.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-11-2001, 09:51 PM   #22
Charean
Hathor

By the way, RudeDawg, you created a monster when you created this thread!! I LIVE FOR THIS!!!! BWAAAAAAHAAAAAA HAAAAAA!!!!!! *insert ecstatic dancing and merriment here*

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-11-2001, 10:29 PM   #23
Mr-Eiz
Drow Warrior

Quote:
WEDDING PROCESSION

A little boy was in a relative's wedding. As he was coming down the
aisle, he would take two steps, stop and turn to the crowd
(alternating between bride's side and groom's side). While facing the
crowd, he would put his hands up like claws and roar.

So it went, step, step, ROAR, step, step, ROAR, all the way down
the aisle. As you can imagine, the crowd was near tears from laughing
so hard by the time he reached the pulpit.

The little boy, however, was getting more and more distressed from all
the laughing, and was also near tears by the time he reached the
pulpit. When asked what he was doing, the child sniffed and said, "I
was being the Ring Bear."

------------------
hunger need brain food
...................Hum you got brain for me??

Hi Ho Hi Ho
It's of to play we go

Eiz

[This message has been edited by Mr-Eiz (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-12-2001, 10:31 AM   #24
Charean
Hathor

Once upon a time, Mr. Monkey was living by himself near a riverbank. He was very strong, and he was a great jumper.

In the middle of the river there was a beautiful island covered with mango, jackfruit and other fruit trees. There happened to be a rock sticking out of the water halfway between the bank and the island. Although it looked impossible, Mr. Monkey was used to jumping from the riverbank to the rock, and from the rock to the island. He would eat fruits all day and then return home by the same route each evening.

A high class couple was living next to the same river - Sir Crocodile and Lady Crocodile. They were expecting their first brood of baby crocks. Because she was pregnant, Lady Crocodle sometimes wished for strange things to eat. So she made unusual demands on her faithful husband.

Lady Crocodile had been amazed, just like the other animals, by the way Mr. Monkey jumped back and forth to the island. One day she developed a sudden craving to eat the heart of Mr. Monkey! She told Sir Crocodile about her desire. To please her, he promised to get Mr. Monkey's heart for her in time for dinner.

Sir Crocodile went and laid himself down on the rock between the riverbank and the island. He waited for Mr. Monkey to return that evening, planning to catch him.

As usual, Mr. Monkey spent the rest of the day on the island. When it was time to return to his home on the riverbank, he noticed that the rock seemed to have grown. It was higher above water than he remembered it. He investigated and saw that the river level was the same as in the morning, yet the rock was definitely higher. Immediately he suspected the cunning Sir Crocodile.

To find out for sure, he called out in the direction of the rock, "Hi there, Mr. Rock! how are you?" He yelled this three times. Then he shouted, "You used to answer me when I spoke to you. But today you say nothing. What's wrong with you, Mr. Rock?"

Sir Crocodile thought, "No doubt on other days this rock used to talk to the monkey. I can't wait any longer for this dumb rock to speak! I will just have to speak for the rock, and trick the monkey." So he shouted, "I'm fine, Mr. Monkey. What do you want?"

Mr. Monkey asked, "Who are you?"

Without thinking, the crocodile replied, "I'm Sir Crocodile."

"Why are you lying there?" asked the monkey.

Sir Crocodile said, "I'm expecting to take your heart! There's no escape for you, Mr. Monkey."

The clever monkey thought, "Aha! He's right - there's no other way back to the riverbank. So I will have to trick him."

Then he yelled, "Sir Crocodile my friend, it looks like your've got me. So I'll give you my heart. Open your mouth and take it when I come your way."

When sir Crocodile opened his mouth, he opened it so wide his eyes were squeezed shut. When Mr. Monkey saw this, he immediately jumped onto the top of Sir Crocodile's head, and then instantly to the riverbank.

When Sir Crocodile realised he'd been outsmarted, he admired Mr. Monkey's victory. Like a good sport in a contest, he praised the winner. he said, "Mr. Monkey, my intention towards you was unwholesome - I wanted to kill you and take you heart just to please my wife. But you wanted only to save yourself and harm no one. I congratulate you!"

Then Sir Crocodile returned to Lady Crocodile. At first she was displease with him, but when the little ones came they forgot their troubles for a time.

The moral is: A good loser is a true gentleman.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-12-2001, 10:35 AM   #25
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Mr. crocodile stalks mr. monkey a week later and eats him then mr elephant stomps mr. crocodile flat.

Moral of the story: crocodiles are dirty rotten lyers and mr. elephant is one bad mofo.

------------------

BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
Old 06-12-2001, 01:28 PM   #26
Charean
Hathor

Caleb... Just you wait till I get to Washington State!! There will be Pillbury Dough Fluff EVERYWHERE!!! Bwaaaa haaaa haaaa

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program....

Once upon a time there were two merchants, who were friends. Both of them were getting ready for business trips to sell their merchandise, so they had to decide whether to travel together. They agreed that, since each had about 500 carts, and they were going to the same place along the same road, it would be too crowded to go at the same time.

One decided that it would be much better to go first. He thought, "The road will not be rutted by the carts, the bullocks will be able to choose the best of all the grass, we will find the best fruits and vegetables to eat, my people will appreciate my leadership and, in the end, I will be able to bargain for the best prices."

The other merchant considered carefully and realized there were advantages to going second. He thought, "My friend's carts will level the ground so we won't have to do any road work, his bullocks will eat the old rough grass and new tender shoots will spring up for mine to eat. In the same way, they will pick the old fruits and vegetables and fresh ones will grow for us to enjoy. I won't have to waste my time bargaining when I can take the price already set and make my profit." So he agreed to let his friend go first. This friend was sure he'd fooled him and gotten the best of him - so he set out first on the journey.

The merchant who went first had a troublesome time of it. They came to a wilderness called the 'Waterless Desert', which the local people said was haunted by demons. When the caravan reached the middle of it, they met a large group coming from the opposite direction. They had carts that were mud smeared and dripping with water. They had lotuses and water lilies in their hands and in the carts. The head man, who had a know-it-all attitude, said to the merchant, "Why are you carrying these heavy loads of water? In a short time you will reach that oasis on the horizon with plenty of water to drink and dates to eat. Your bullocks are tired from pulling those heavy carts filled with extra water - so throw away the water and be kind to your overworked animals!"

Even though the local people had warned them, the merchant did not realize that these were not real people, but demons in disguise. They were even in danger of being eaten by them. Being confident that they were helpful people, he followed their advice and had all his water emptied onto the ground.

As they continued on their way they found no oasis or any water at all. Some realized they'd been fooled by beings that might have been demons, and started to grumble and accuse the merchant. At the end of the day, all the people were tired out. The bullocks were too weak from lack of water to pull their heavy carts. All the people and animals lay down in a haphazard manner and fell into a deep sleep. Lo and behold, during the night the demons came in their true frightening forms and gobbled up all the weak defenseless beings. When they were done there were only bones lying scattered around - not one human or animal was left alive.

After several months, the second merchant began his journey along the same way. When he arrived at the wilderness, he assembled all his people and advised them - "This is called the 'Waterless Desert' and I have heard that it is haunted by demons and ghosts. Therefore we should be careful. Since there may be poison plants and foul water, don't drink any local water without asking me." In this way they started into the desert.

After getting about halfway through, in the same way as with the first caravan, they were met by the water soaked demons in disguise. They told them the oasis was near and they should throw away their water. But the wise merchant saw through them right away. He knew it didn't make sense to have an oasis in a place called 'Waterless Desert'. And besides, these people had bulging red eyes and an aggressive and pushy attitude, so he suspected they might be demons. He told them to leave them alone saying, "We are business men who don't throw away good water before we know where the next is coming from."

Then seeing that his own people had doubts, the merchant said to them, "Don't believe these people, who may be demons, until we actually find water. The oasis they point to may be just an illusion or a mirage. Have you ever heard of water in this 'Waterless Desert'? Do you feel any rain-wind or see any storm clouds?" They all said, "No", and he continued, "If we believe these strangers and throw away our water, then later we may not have any to drink or cook with - then we will be weak and thirsty and it would be easy for demons to come and rob us, or even eat us up! Therefore, until we really find water, do not waste even a drop!"

The caravan continued on its way and, that evening, reached the place where the first caravan's people and bullocks had been killed and eaten by the demons. They found the carts and human and animal bones lying all around. They recognized that the fully loaded carts and the scattered bones belonged to the former caravan. The wise merchant told certain people to stand watch around the camp during the night.

The next morning the people ate breakfast, and fed their bullocks well. They added to their goods the most valuable things left from the first caravan. So they finished their journey very successfully, and returned home safely so that they and their families could enjoy their profits.

The moral is: One must always be wise enough not to be fooled by tricky talk and false appearances.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-12-2001, 04:00 PM   #27
Charean
Hathor

Once upon a time some bandits robbed a village. Then they escaped into a thick forest. Some men from the village chased them. They surrounded the forest and searched it for the robbers, but they could not find them.

When they came out of the forest they saw three farmers plowing in thier field. They immediately captured them and said, "Aha! You bandits are pretending to be innocent farmers interested only in plowing! Come with us to the king, you thieves!" They tied them up and took them as prisoners to the king. He locked them in the palace dungeon.

Then a woman began coming to the palace courtyard. For several days she came and cried, as if in mourning.

One day the king heard her cries and asked her to come inside. He asked why she was crying. She said, "I have heard that my husband, son and brother are all you prisoners, my lord."

The king had the three men bought up from the dungeon. Being a generous ruler, he said to the woman, "I will give you one of these three. Which one do you choose?"

The woman asked, "Can't you give me all three, my lord?" The king replied, "No, I cannot."

After carefully consider, she said, "If you will not give me all three, then give me my brother, oh lord king."

The king was surprised by her choice. He said, "You should choose your husband or son. Why would you want your brother instead?"

The smart woman replied, "Oh my lord, when I go out onto the roadway, a new husband would be easy to find. And then I could easily have another son. A husband or a son is easy to come by in this world. But since my parents are dead, I would never get another brother!"

The king was impressed by the intelligence and thinking ability shown by this simple woman. Some of his own ministers were not nearly as smart! So he decided to reward her. He said,"I return all three to you - your brother, husband and son."

The moral is: It's a fortunate brother who has an intelligent sister.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-12-2001, 06:00 PM   #28
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

The Forging

A bar of iron becomes a blade
A shard of steel to shape a sword
Feels the heat from burning fire
To soften so the bar can bend before the blows
Muscles ripple in the flicker from the flame
Hammer rises, falls hard and heavy on the bar
A ring that echoes from the smithy walls
A bar of iron becomes a blade.

A girl becomes no more a child
Harsh and bitter words that strike
Like angry blows and batter
On a heart grown soft and tender
With the fires of first and youngest love
And sorrow finds a way to shape
A song within her mind
A girl becomes no more a child

A blunt and brittle blade becomes a sword
Fire and ice – the ruby red of heat
The diamond shine of searing cold
The harshness of the white-hot flame
The water tainted with the bitterness of salt
To bind the blade with subtle strength
And lend a potent power to the edge
A blunt and brittle blade becomes a sword

An untried maid becomes a woman
A cold and biting breeze
Blows around an open grave
Tears tainted with the bitterness of salt
Trace a searing path across skin pale and cold
An aching breaking heart
Finds the strength to carry on
An untried maid becomes a woman

The moral - it is the pain that makes you strong
Old 06-12-2001, 06:17 PM   #29
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

A dweller in the town of Birmingham spent his days as a servant to a wealthy merchant. One fine morning, the young man rode to market, carefree, and with his purse jingling with coins from the merchant's coffers to buy meat and fruit and wine. While in the market, he saw Death, who beckoned unto him as if he wished to speak with him. In terror, the young servant fled, taking the road that led to the town of Coventry.

By nightfall, filthy and exhausted, he had reached an inn there, and with the merchant's money procured a room, and collapsed upon the bed in mingled fatigue and relief. But in the middle of the night there came a knock at the door, and in the doorway stood Death, smiling affably.

"How come ye to be here?" the young man gasped, white-faced and trembling. "For I saw you only this morning in the marketplace of Birmingham."

And Death replied, "Why, I have come to collect you, as it is written. For when I saw you this morning in the marketplace in Birmingham, I tried to say that you and I had an appointment tonight. In Coventry."

We ever fear Fate, yet we render it by our Free Will.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-12-2001).]
Old 06-12-2001, 08:19 PM   #30
Charean
Hathor

Great story Saz... free will and fate rolled into one. Really profound. I know you have to have more of those somewhere... dig em up!!

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Renunciate in Training
Trucker Punkin Fluffy