Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2001, 04:59 PM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

I plan on posting these daily... Please, no , trolls or flames...

The Strawberry
A Tale of Zen

There was once a man who was being chased by a ferocious tiger across a field. At the edge of the field there was a cliff. In order to escape the jaws of the tiger, the man caught hold of a vine and swung himself over the edge of the cliff. Dangling down, he saw, to his dismay, there were more tigers on the ground below him! And, furthermore, two little mice were gnawing on the vine to which he clung. He knew that at any moment he would fall to certain death. That's when he noticed a wild strawberry growing on the cliff wall. Clutching the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other and put it in his mouth.

He never before realized how sweet a strawberry could taste.

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 05:04 PM   #2
Charean
Hathor

I like this. It shows a certain appreciation for the simple things when faced with a future without...

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-10-2001, 05:46 PM   #3
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I enjoyed this RudeDawg. I agree with Charea about the simple things in life.

------------------

Old 06-10-2001, 05:49 PM   #4
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Keep them coming, RudeDawg. Too many times we forget the simple things in life, and being reminded of them is something we ALL can use.

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Favorite Enemy: Fluffy Hunters of all kinds
Tracker of the fair Cleric Charean
All bow and cower before the Triumvirate!!!
Old 06-10-2001, 06:14 PM   #5
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Like it! I think most of us have had crisis moments when something small has made us see the things that really matter.

------------------

Old 06-10-2001, 08:30 PM   #6
Charean
Hathor

A MASTERFUL ILLUSTRATION (Author Unknown)

An aging Hindu master grew tired of his apprentice complaining, and so, one
morning, sent him for some salt. When the apprentice returned, the master
instructed the unhappy young man to put a handful of salt in a glass of
water and then to drink it.

"How does it taste?" the master asked.

"Bitter," spat the apprentice.

The master chuckled and then asked the young man to take the same handful of
salt and put it in the lake. The two walked in silence to the nearby lake,
and once the apprentice swirled his handful of salt in the water, the old
man said, "Now drink from the lake."

As the water dripped down the young man's chin, the master asked, "How does
it taste?"

"Fresh," remarked the apprentice.

"Do you taste the salt?" asked the master.

"No," said the young man.

At this, the master sat beside this serious young man who so reminded him of
himself and took his hands, offering, "The pain of life is pure salt; no
more, no less. The amount of pain in life remains the exactly the same.
However, the amount of bitterness we taste depends on the container we put
the pain in. So when you are in pain, the only thing you can do is to
enlarge your sense of things . . . Stop being a glass. Become a lake."

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-10-2001, 09:03 PM   #7
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Thank You, Charean, for contributing in the spirit of the thread. And thanks to everyone else for sharing your enthusiasm.

and now, translated:

Although the marvelous lines
are difficult to trace,
still I can make out
several layers of mountains,
a jumble of peaks,
like shell-spiraled locks of hair.
Faraway streams
and mountains peaks
swathed in clouds,
just like a painting,
have captured the essence.
Gazing into emptiness,
I long to ask the monk about it.
If I don’t learn the
meaning of the reclusive life,
I can but sigh with regret
until the day I die!
- Su Shih (1073)

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 09:08 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Here is one of my favorites:

A Zen master was teaching his two students how to meditate. One was far more advanced in his studies than the other, yet he lacked the heart of the lesser experienced one.

The advanced student came unto the Master one day and asked, "How much longer must I wrestle with this world and its illusions before I am enlightened?"

"Only five more years, my son," the Master told him.

"Five years," muttered the student bitterly and morosely, and went back gloomily to his meditations.

The lesser experienced student came up brightly to his Master and asked him, "And how much longer do I have to experience the world before I am enlightened?"

"For fifty more years, I am afraid, my son," the Master said, shaking his head.

"Fifty years!" The student was enraptured, and skipped happily off with his entire life stretching before him...

and in that instant, he was Enlightened.

Old 06-10-2001, 09:10 PM   #9
Charean
Hathor

This isn't exactly philisophical... but in a way it is because it is how we deal with one another. So here goes:

The Cab Ride

Twenty years ago, I drove a cab for a living. It was a cowboy's life, a life for someone who wanted no boss. What I didn't realize was that it was also a ministry. Because I drove the night shift, my cab became a moving confessional. Passengers climbed in, sat behind me in total anonymity, and told me about their lives. I encountered people whose lives amazed me, ennobled me, made me laugh and weep. But none touched me more than a woman I picked up late one August night. I was responding to a call from a small brick fourplex in a quiet part of town. I assumed I was being sent to pick up some partiers, or someone who had just had a fight with a lover, or a worker heading to an early shift at some factory for the industrial part of town.

When I arrived at 2:30 a.m., the building was dark except for a single light in a ground floor window. Under these circumstances, many drivers would just honk once or twice, wait a minute, then drive away. But I had seen too many impoverished people who depended on taxis as their only means of transportation. Unless a situation smelled of danger, I always went to the door. This passenger might be someone who needs my assistance, I reasoned to myself. So I walked to the door and knocked. "Just a minute", answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor. After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 80s stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940s movie. By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets. There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware. "Would you carry my bag out to the car?" she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman. She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb. She kept thanking me for my kindness. "It's nothing", I told her. "I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother treated". "Oh, you're such a good boy", she said.

When we got in the cab, she gave me and address, then asked, "Could you drive through downtown?" "It's not the shortest way," I answered quickly. "Oh, I don't mind," she said. "I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice". I looked in the rearview mirror. Her eyes were glistening. "I don't have any family left," she continued. "The doctor says I don't have very long." I quietly reached over and shut off the meter. "What route would you like me to take?" I asked. For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator. We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl. Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, "I'm tired. Let's go now." We drove in silence to the address she had given me. It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico. Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her. I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair. "How much do I owe you?" she asked, reaching into her purse. "Nothing," I said. "You have to make a living," she answered. "There are other passengers," I responded. Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly. "You gave an old woman a little moment of joy," she said. "Thank you." I squeezed her hand, then walked into the dim morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life. I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly, lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk.

What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his Shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away? On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life. We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, ...BUT THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-10-2001, 10:41 PM   #10
Charean
Hathor

Upon meeting a Zen master at a social event, a psychiatrist decided to ask him a question that had been on his mind. "Exactly how do you help people?" he inquired.

"I get them where they can't ask any more questions," the Master answered.

During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly sweep into a town and take control. In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived - everyone except the Zen master. Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see for himself what kind of man this master was. When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which he was accustomed, the general burst into anger. "You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize you are standing before a man who could run you through without blinking an eye!" But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved. "And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are standing before a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"

------------------

Defender for the Light -