Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
Stealth Expert
Dungeon Master

i wanna make and elf mage but dont know which if to pick enchie or devie is there anyone or anyplace where i can find out what spells each class cannot scribe?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Enchanters: Cannot cast invocation/evocation spells like Magic Missile, Fireball, mostly offensive energy types. They must have at least a 9 in intelligence and a 16 in charisma.

Diviners: Cannot cast summoning/conjuration spells like Summon Monster and Melf's Acid Arrow. They must have a 9 in intelligence and a 16 in wisdom.

Does that help? Or did you mean a list of every single spell they can't cast? Check the back of your manual if you have one, and then look for spells that are the abovementioned types.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

If you have to pick between the two, be a Diviner. The only thing you'll miss out on are summons and that can easily be fixed with some beefy fighter NPCs or scrolls and wands of monster summoning. (BG1, unlike BG2, still lets specialty wizards use scrolls and wands of their prohibited school--they just can't memorize those spells.)
Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

Yep, I'd definitely go with Diviner, although to be honest you couldn't be choosing between two mage types I like less But not having evocation spells is awful, practically makes you feel lame.
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

In BG1 Diviners are nice, I don't miss Summon Monster at all. Really all you need is a trusty Fireball and a Diviner is just fine for that.

[ 03-02-2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

TSR and Wizards of the Coast really screwed up with the Mage kits; instead of classifying them by what they like to do, they judge them by what they can't do. Makes no sense at all.

Anyway. The link in my sig will take you to a very thorough guide to the game. 98.7% Spoiler-Free. Appendix 1 is full of Tables, including a list of all the Wizard spells in the game, organized by spell school. Gosh. How handy.

I, personally, would lean toward Enchanters in BG1, simply because so many of the spells you can't cast are available in Wand form.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

Wizards of the Coast and TSR messed up in more things than just the Mage kits, Six

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:52 AM   #8
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
I, personally, would lean toward Enchanters in BG1, simply because so many of the spells you can't cast are available in Wand form.
Yeah, I think that's actually inarguably true unless you have an issue with limited use items, like myself
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:30 AM   #9
Stealth Expert
Dungeon Master

nice, thanks for all the info guys, i seriously had no clue what was the difference between the 2 of them because i never really played a mage before.