Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2002, 10:26 PM   #41
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
Ah Yorik, those kind of questions could very easily lead to a debate if Cal takes offence to your 'did u read the post properly' and responds out of anger...but what do i know? she might not even respond [img]tongue.gif[/img]
CD may take even more offense at you calling him a girl!

Old 07-04-2002, 10:31 PM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
Funny....you'd think that an Australian (like myself), would have a pretty good chance of interpreting another Australian's "style of communication"! Perhaps not!
Maybe that's why you assumed sarcasm.

In any case, back to the question. Why is that the case Avi?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-04-2002, 10:38 PM   #43
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Funny....you'd think that an Australian (like myself), would have a pretty good chance of interpreting another Australian's "style of communication"! Perhaps not!
Maybe that's why you assumed sarcasm.

In any case, back to the question. Why is that the case Avi?
[/QUOTE]OK Yorick, if you want to go there! I think it's a natural instinct for people to feel confronted by someone telling them that their whole outlook on life is incorrect! They may not be directly telling them that they are living a lie, but by stating another belief that defies their own, it's pretty much the same thing. I know you feel the same way, as you feel it is necessary to respond to anyone that says anything against Christianity.

Aren't we just doing exactly what Ziroc wants us not to do?

Old 07-04-2002, 11:05 PM   #44
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
OK Yorick, if you want to go there! I think it's a natural instinct for people to feel confronted by someone telling them that their whole outlook on life is incorrect! They may not be directly telling them that they are living a lie, but by stating another belief that defies their own, it's pretty much the same thing. I know you feel the same way, as you feel it is necessary to respond to anyone that says anything against Christianity.

Aren't we just doing exactly what Ziroc wants us not to do?
Hmm. I don't exactly feel like that. I respond when I see a common derision or popular misconception perpetuated. Mainly out of concern for others who believe as I do, and also out of a sense of obligation to give accurate testimony to Christ, whom I live for.

Both situations are like having a friend slagged off. Would you stand around and watch your friend get slagged off?

I do the same thing when people get stuck into Americans. Similar motivation.

I have no problem with someone posting their worldview from their perspective. (As opposed to writing off others) Actually I enjoy it. If they're open to it, I enjoy discussing the different views.

I mean, imagine this scenario:

"I see the world like this"
"Do you? Wow, me too."
"Cool"
"Great".

End of conversation.

When a contrary opinion is expressed, it allows one to investigate what you really believe in greater depth. Scans for holes. In my life I've had many many discussions with others of different faiths, and others with different views within the same faith. Thus in the areas where I've exhaustively debated and/or pondered post-conversation, I feel confident about what I do and don't believe.

This is obviously coming across to you as 'smugness'. I assure you it is just conviction and assurance. Faith.

The reality is, the world will never all agree on how things are. It would be a terrible place if that were the case. Resistance creates strength. Our muscles grow when we fight gravity. Our character grows when we are tested and have to resist. Our worldview gets stronger under pressure.

Or it changes.

Is that such a bad thing? Changing a worldview or strengthening a current one? How else do we become aware of various opinions but by discussing them? I was not born with these views. They have developed. I trust yours are the same. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It all comes down to tolerance and respect. Respecting anothers right to view things differently.

But here's the rub, and the part where this snake bites it's own tail.... true tolerance tolerates intolerance does it not.

Anyhow I'm glad we're discussing this. You were percieving me as the same as you, so I hope I've shed some light onto my own slightly different motivations, in the same way you have shed light onto your own. Thankyou. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have a great day Avi.

Hugh

[ 07-04-2002, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-04-2002, 11:53 PM   #45
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
LOL Rokenn [img]smile.gif[/img] those are some of the most violent of religeous threads Mac vs Wintel
No....ya think? But they aren't Religion ya know![/QUOTE]Well Wintel might not be, but let's face it... every mac, in a way, is a tiny god... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2002, 12:09 AM   #46
lroyo

I'm sure Cerek said something about you having to have the last word. This seems to be a perfect example of that.

Anyway, it ends here. I'm not going to bother discussing things with you, as it just frustrates the hell out of me. You say there is no smugness in your attitude, yet I sense it in every post you make.

You have a lot of knowledge, and an amazing faith in your beliefs, but maybe you should think about the way that you write your posts (even if your message is friendly), as you have a habit of p1551ng people off. I'm sure that does not spread your message the way that you might want it to.

You have a nice day too.
Avi.

Old 07-05-2002, 12:13 AM   #47
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

This could go on, and on and on....... an end up where we started, but now we have anger.

Reason I stopped this stuff for now..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-05-2002, 01:47 PM   #48
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

This deserves to stay on page 1 so *bump*

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)