Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2002, 03:50 AM   #1
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This thread is closed to Legolas, Cyril Darkcloud and ... *drumroll*... myself [img]tongue.gif[/img] Tis a folk tale that we’ll be attempting, and I think I speak for all of us that we’re looking forward to a leisurely run story that is not only fun to weave, but makes a decent read

With the introductions out of the way, here we go
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 03:51 AM   #2
mistral4543

Misty

Faster, silly feet! Faster!

Her eyes twinkle as she half breaks into a run, a comical grin on her ruddy, round face. A short bow on her left hand, arrows neatly tucked behind her back and her free hand clenching and unclenching from excitement.

I’m free! I’m free!

In a feverish trance, she continues on her path, her bright eyes taking in the everchanging landscape with delight. Gaping at the glittering green of the fields, she opens her mouth to inhale the fresh air, allowing it to fill her lungs deeply and almost bursting them. The world is huge by her standards and she gapes at the towering trees, never intimidated but fascinated by their sinewy branches and whispering leaves.

Oh, boy! Adventures here I come! ~ She gradually slackens her pace, aware of her protesting feet ~ Who will I meet? What will I meet? Where will I end up? How will I prove to be the heroine of all time? ~ Such are her happy thoughts as she whistles to herself softly, the radiant glow never leaving that ruddy, round face.

In the distance, the sun shoots her a warning in the form of a dark orangey glare.

So you’re issuing an ultimatum, huh? ~ She sticks her tongue out defiantly at it, advancing towards it stubbornly for a while and then relenting ~ Ah well… I’ll deal with you tomorrow. ~ Espying a rather safe-looking spot, she heads towards it and sits herself comfortably upon the dry ground.

This is the life… ~ Humming gently, she swings forward her knapsack and opens it, drawing out the food ration for the day. Somehow, the food smells especially delicious and she tucks in, allowing herself to become intoxicated with such a lovely setting.

Maybe I’ll meet…ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz… ~ Before she realises it, off she has leapt, into another adventure – the world of dreams…
Old 10-24-2002, 07:06 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Golas

"Hush!", Golas growled. "Don't tell anyone I'm here, okay?"
The old badger he was talking to gave him a stern look, but eventually agreed and disappeared underground.

The gnome let out a merry laugh, only to scare himself with the volume, and he self-consciously clapped his hands to his mouth. Golas sat quietly, waiting what seemed like hours for signs of pursuit. When he heard nothing, the little gnome shrugged and got to his feet.

He had to find a safe place to hide in now, because people were probably looking for him and he didn't know if Mr. Badger wasn't going to tell anyone afterall. Not that his family would be angry with him, they were real nice. But he wanted to see the world before he was a hundred, and he knew they wouldn't let him. And though people at home were nice, he'd just about seen things there.

With a serious expression on his face, he tried to clamber up a tree. Despite several determined attempts, he eventually had to admit defeat when the rough bark made his hand bleed. The branches stood just a bit too far apart for the little guy.

Just as he gave up trying, the badger appeared again, and told Golas he could stay the night with him. He smiled and clapped his hands in joy at the prospect of sleeping in a burrow.
Resting his head on the creature, Golas the Gnome fell asleep in minutes.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 12:15 AM   #4
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

First light. It is the hour of bird song and the time when darkness drains from the sky. It is time for waking and it is time for his stiff joints to speak their painful reminders of his age. Almost fifty. An old man in a world that prizes youth. A tired man feeling his age. A man too old to be sleeping out of doors on damp ground. A man with eyes that have seen too much to simply open in wonder at the rising reddish gold of dawn. Still it is a pleasant sight, this rising of the sun, and life has taught him at least this much -- that a quiet and pleasant moment is a thing to be appreciated even when one's limbs are stiff with soreness and age. The lingering embers from last night’s fire are soon kindled into a small blaze sufficient for the heating of a pot of water. As the stiffness begins to leave his limbs he looks quietly out where the road is just becoming visible in the distance. The miles that lie ahead of him are many.
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 01:52 AM   #5
mistral4543

Misty

This is a most serious matter, Misty.

Grimly, she faces her surroundings, her pace much slower than that of the past glorious day. Taking a step, then another. A perturbed frown forms upon her pouty lips. The pert little nose sniffs the air suspiciously and she takes a good look around. To the casual observer, she would appear to be hunting for something… precious.

How could you not remember that dream?! ~ That voice… it can only mean one thing… the attack has sprung. Alas, that she is so ill-equipped!

B…but…

No ‘but’s. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED in you. I expected MORE from you, who pride yourself on your WITS and INTELLIGENCE. See how they have abandoned you in your time of urgent need. ~ The rebuff is insufferable; her feathers ruffle even as she desperately gathers her defences ready.

With her sternest voice now… I don’t see how wits and intelligence have ANYTHING to do with this. It’s a MEMORY problem, Miss Critical. ~ Her eyes narrow and she halts in her path, fists tightly clenched ~ It’s not urgent and … ~ With a triumphant ring in her soundless voice ~ ABOVE ALL… it is ONLY a DREAM…

Ah… a dream now, yes… but what if it were some ENORMOUS, IMPORTANT SECRET that only you – O superior MISS HEROINE - were entrusted with? ~ That fiendish chuckle; how she hates it! ~ What then, oh mighty CHAMPION, if you were to forget it? ~ It is truly unbearable, this condescending voice running a claw along her tenderest spot.

Gritting her teeth ~ I’ll worry about that when it happens. ~ She exhales a cool breath of air, her hazel brown eyes almost freezing momentarily ~ It’s NOT TIME TO WORRY YET, I’ll thank you very much. ~ Gathering courage, she perseveres, pushing her line of attack through ~ Now if you’ll excuse me, I have FAR MORE IMPORTANT issues to deal with. Like my GREAT BIG ADVENTURE. Shoo! Shoo!

With that, she breaks into a gallop, defying the protesting and railing cries behind her.

Faster, silly feet! Faster!

[ 10-25-2002, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 10-25-2002, 09:09 AM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

Golas

The young gnome awoke when his pillow stirred beneath him, and Golas quickly sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. As he crawled out of the burrow on hands and feet, he suddenly saw the sun shining down on him.
He rarely got to go to the surface during daytime, and now that he saw it looked so pretty he wondered why.

Not for long though, as his tummy started making funny sounds. He looked around for something to eat, but couldn't find anything. The gnome was a bit thirsty too.

He walked a while looking for bread or something to grow from trees, but all he found was a really big bug. So he followed it on its way over the forest floor, until it disappeared down a tiny hole. The hole made him think of home, and suddenly he remembered people could be looking for him.

All thoughts of food and water forgotten, he ran straight ahead as far as his legs would go. Then he sat down, letting himself fall on his gnomish bottom to make the ground go "poof!".

But the whole time he sat resting and listening, he couldn't hear anyone coming. He laughed, sure as he was that he had escaped.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:04 AM   #7
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

The stones of the hillside are sharp and he moves carefully around them as he descends. The light of morning now fully dominates the sky and his eyes open a bit wider to take in the colors of dawn. Soon he reaches the road and with a steady and measured gait he walks along it, the striking of the hard soles of his boots and the rhythmic thumping of his stave upon the packed earth the only sounds he makes.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:10 AM   #8
mistral4543

Misty

When finally her lungs are about to wave the flag of surrender, she emits a croak, gasping and choking. Bending over, she presses her hands upon her knees, trying to recover some rhythm of breath. The light in her shining eyes wavers a little as she purses her lips, considering her next path. Looking back, all she sees are the woods that have embraced her to lovingly for the whole morning.

The churning of her stomach marks the announcement of noon, and the need for a hearty lunch. Almost instinctively, her hands have reached to open the knapsack, yet this time, the rations for the day seem a little less appetising than before.

Surely there must be some civilisation around here... ~ A furrow forms on her brows momentarily, then dissipates just as suddenly ~ And where there is civilisation... preferably humankind... a feast awaits! ~ Her right hand patting her growling stomach consolingly, she whispers coaxingly ~ "Just a little longer now, dear tummy. Surely a scumptious meal is worth a little wait?" ~ And her tongue runs over her lower lip, partly to moisten her parched lips.

Nodding to herself solemnly, she draws in another deep breath and resumes her brisk foray into the unknown, in search of adventure and good food.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:40 AM   #9
Legolas
Jack Burton

Golas

Still grinning, young Golas got to his feet and started walking in a random direction. Now that he was safe, he could go everywhere he wanted to! But the young gnome had only walked for a few minutes when he realised the landscape was hardly changing.

He wanted to see the world; all the wonders and beautiful places and strange animals he'd heard of. But if all the world looked like the forest, there was nothing to see at all!

Suddenly, Golas halted in his tracks. He gasped even as his eyes became bigger than they were already. It was all a big joke! All the big people at home said there was lots to seein the world outside, but there was nothing!

He should've figured it out before. All those stories they told him were made up, and now he'd walked right into the ultimate joke! He supposed it was kind of funny, but he didn't like being at the wrong end. Luckily he left before he turned a hundred, so all the other gnomes didn't wait for him behind a big tree or rock to jump out and laugh at him. At least he walked into it when they weren't looking.

Now that he knew for sure there was nothing to do here, he just wanted to go home. Golas was hungry, tired and made fun of, and there was nothing fun to see or do at all. He turned to the direction he thought the village was in and started walking again, his vision turning blurry as tears filled his eyes.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:30 AM   #10
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

There is a curious sameness about roads despite the varied countrysides through which they pass. There is a directness and purposefulness about them. They exist solely to facilitate movement from one place to another. For now he is alone on this quiet and purposeful line of hard packed earth for it is very early in the day. Soon enough, in another mile or so perhaps, he will see other travelers. Greetings may or may not be exchanged in accord with the minor rituals of travel, but be that as it may, he will continue to walk alone.