Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2003, 03:35 AM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Are you saying that people playing half orcs are not roleplayers? If so, you really need to re-think your notion of roleplaying.

Half-Orcs are as good as any other race to roleplay as. What's wrong with wanting to play a chaotic good barbarian who got banned from his tribe for refusing to butcher innocents and since then leave as an outcast, defending caravans from bandits and other orcs? That look like a fun character to me.

Or how about an half orc that was raised in a temple of Lathander and became a priest? This has potential, too.
And are you saying that that only people who play good characters are roleplayers?

Whats wrong with an evil orc whose tribe honoured him for slaying many innocents and who once hearing about the conflict with the legion of chimera saw that as his chance to join the bloodshed...

Or how about a half-orc who was seen by the priests of talos as an excellent potential for destruction and decided to raise him
[/QUOTE]I used good examples because it give a twist to the common vision of half orcs.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:09 AM   #12
Spirits forever

Since i am a beginner in the game what do you think i should include in my party?

Edited to remove overly large signature pic.

[ 06-16-2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-12-2003, 08:17 AM   #13
Vassago
Manshoon

Spirits,
Have you played the IWD 1? The reason I ask, is b/c I have played it and when I got IWD2, I wanted to create a completely different party (except for having a Rogue). I think the typical party creation goes something like this:

2 Fighters (one could be a Barbarian, Paladin or Ranger)
1 Rogue or Bard
1 Cleric (any domination will do)
1 Sorceror or Wizard
1 Character of your choice

In allowing up to 6 characters in your party, there are numerous possibilites. Also, keep in mind that just because you can take 6 characters, doesn't mean you have to. I prefer a smaller party of 4 because I think it's easier to manage them plus they level up faster. It's a lot harder creating a party in IWD2. I spent about 3 weeks before I got the game doing research about the different races, classes, feats and skills. Then once I got the game, I would play through most of Targos and then go "Nah, I want to change something" and start all over. I must have restarted about 4 or 5 times before I finally said, "I'm sticking with these guys". Besides, you can always play it through using one party and then go back through and play it again w/ a different one. Good Luck.

[ 06-12-2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Vassago ]
Old 06-13-2003, 06:27 AM   #14
Spirits forever

nope havn't played id1

Edited to remove overly large signature pic.

[ 06-16-2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #15
Magness
Quintesson

I don't think that there are necessarily any "best" races in IWD2. However, there are certainly some races that are a bit better than others when it comes to class and multiclass choices. I'll leave roleplaying issues aside for now.

Human make a good choice for classes where skills are important since they get +1 skill point/level.

If you want to play any sort of archer-mage, cleric, or druid, then elves (any flavor) make a good choice, since all versions of elves get Bow and Long Sword feats free at creation. BTW, I say archer-mage, cleric, or druid, but not fighter, because all of the warrior classes get all of the martial feats free at creation and that elven bonus is moot.

Aasimars make excellent paladins, clerics, and sorcerors due to their base +2 to WIS and CHA.

Tieflings make good rogues and wizards, due to their +2 to DEX and INT. Heck, they make excellent rogue/wizard multiclass characters due to these stat bonuses.

Half-Orcs are obviously great for barbarians, fighters, and the barb/fighter MC due to their +2 to STR.

Deep Gnomes are supposedly good for monks due to their long list of bonus abilities, despite the high -3 ECL penalty.

Halflings make good rogues, largely due to the +2 DEX.

There are plenty of good builds. However, it's also not necessary to have the "best" race class combo or power-gamed stats to succeed in IWD2. The last party that I completed the game with (both in normal mode, then in HoF mode) was very much a role playing party with good, but not overpowering stats, and they still beat the bad guys to a pulp.

To prove the point, my lead character was a female elven paladin of Mystra, named Nya Arenthel. These were her starting stats: STR 16, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 16. (Low WIS, high CHA because (a) pallys are overly stat intensive and (b) I value the CHA related pally abilities more than pally spellcasting.) These are hardly over powering stats. STR good, but not maxed. A surprisingly high DEX. Nya was a committed elven long sword and bow chain mail-wearing warrior, committed to Mystra's service. Nya was a joy to play and role play.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #16
spydar

I don't think I've ever really used the recommended race class for any character I've made, didn't really seem to hinder me a lot unless you're trying to play something like a bard with a class that already has a lower charisma.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:40 AM   #17
D*Ranged

'Kay, take back what I said earlier.

I play a Half-Orc Druid. Not half as wimpish as an Elven one, and can be JUST as effective as anyone...though a shaman would be a better name in this case...heh.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:19 PM   #18
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Halflings are. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote