Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2001, 05:01 PM   #1
Sorcerer Alex

Very often I find myself talking to someone, just getting into the conversation, properly thinking about what to say, when, sure enough, the dreaded 'whatever' comes up.

I've often wondered why people say this awful, thoroughly unintelligent word. Is it because people simply don't have the means of properly saying what they want to say? Or do people think it's effective in any way? I just can't understand it, and it drives me up the wall.

I find it very insulting when people use this word. It's such a terribly annoying thing to say, and I'd seriously like to get hold of whoever introduced it to the english language

Old 11-12-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Very often I find myself talking to someone, just getting into the conversation, properly thinking about what to say, when, sure enough, the dreaded 'whatever' comes up.

I've often wondered why people say this awful, thoroughly unintelligent word. Is it because people simply don't have the means of properly saying what they want to say? Or do people think it's effective in any way? I just can't understand it, and it drives me up the wall.

I find it very insulting when people use this word. It's such a terribly annoying thing to say, and I'd seriously like to get hold of whoever introduced it to the english language

I completly agree. It means the person your talking to is obviously not interested in what you're saying.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:08 PM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

It's eveb worse when you are talking and they pick up their Cellphone and call someone else... that sucks. A girl once did it to me and I still have the scars...
Old 11-12-2001, 05:23 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

To me, the use of the term "Whatever" in the context that I think you mean it conveys the meaning "I'm no longer interested in anything YOU have to say," in no uncertain terms. Especially if it's conveyed with a sigh and an eye-roll:

It's an extremely rude term and one that I would just as soon not hear again. I get downright angry with my students when they use that on me. (Very few have).

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-12-2001, 05:37 PM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I know what you mean. I had a student in my Judo class that was like
that. Whenever we told him to use control he would say that wonderful phrase. Well one day while sparring I kept telling the nimrod not to lock his arm's when executing a particular shoulder throw and he said "WHATEVER" well low and behold pop went the kid's elbow. He was in a cast for 7 month's and is still in physical therapy. Needles to say he doesnt use that tone around us anymore it's a simple "yes sir"
"thank you sir"
Old 11-12-2001, 05:39 PM   #6
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Must be an American thing.... here in scotland, you get a blunt: "Whit?" instead.