Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2001, 02:25 PM   #1
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

I've read everything I can find on creating new kits (thanks for links to tutorials etc) but would like more guidance on the entries in the clab****.2da file - is there a single source to reference all the possible abilities?

Specifically I'm looking at creating an assassin-like kit that can read/use Mage scrolls (but not memorise), with a couple of other abilities (some innate spells).

Can anyone give any pointers?

TIA
Old 05-16-2001, 04:39 PM   #2
ShadowUK

Come on Vaskez give the man a hand.........

------------------
Old 05-17-2001, 04:46 AM   #3
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

C'mon guys - I've just searched through all the .bif files in the data directory and found nothing (except what I assume are the pointers for the default kits to the abilities in default.bif).

Someone must have done something like this already?
Old 05-17-2001, 05:13 AM   #4
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

BUMP vaskez we need you!

------------------
Welcome to hell.
Old 05-17-2001, 05:20 AM   #5
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by antonius:
I've read everything I can find on creating new kits (thanks for links to tutorials etc) but would like more guidance on the entries in the clab****.2da file - is there a single source to reference all the possible abilities?

Specifically I'm looking at creating an assassin-like kit that can read/use Mage scrolls (but not memorise), with a couple of other abilities (some innate spells).

Can anyone give any pointers?

TIA
Infinity Explorer ther should be a linf for it at www.teambg.com
Thats how I made my Wolfguard kit

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-17-2001, 10:07 AM   #6
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

I've managed part of this - stripped the spells out of the spell bif file then loading them (one by one) into the spell editor to find out which spells they actually are (taking a _long_ time). I can probably now give my Assassin a permanent non-detection ability and some interesting innate abilities

Once I get a complete list of the spells/abilities I'll post a link.

Now, if I can just work out how to make the kit able to read scrolls!
Old 05-17-2001, 02:08 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by antonius:
Now, if I can just work out how to make the kit able to read scrolls!
You won't need to edit the kit to do that, but you will need to edit every scroll to be usable by the assissin kit. Or at least every scroll for which you'd like make available to your kit. Check out the Infinity Editor Pro, also available from www.teambg.com.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:26 PM   #8
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks,

As I've been working on it I was starting to realise it was a no go with the scroll thing anyway. I'm already using IEE pro and a few of the other tools from teambg.

Still, if anyone has any more ideas...

Old 05-17-2001, 03:21 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LOL antonius I feel VERY sorry for u now! U didn't need to look at every spell file to see which one it is. All the spell codes are listed in the language.txt file which is in the BG2 main directory.
The 'possibilities' for the CLAB*.2da files are endless. Just use the name of the .SPL file after the standard AP_ or GA_. I assume u know this already though.

I am afraid it is no go with the casting spells from scrolls ability, unless u wanna edit every scroll as someone already mentioned. Some things are hard-coded into the game's exe which means we cannot get at them (until someone works out how to upack then repack it- not likely ), and I think giving non spellcasters spellbooks is like this as well so u can't give a thief kit a spellbook.

There is also a nice new utility called Near Infinity which is helpful for general editing but it is quite similar to IE. It should be linked from teambg.
Old 05-17-2001, 03:58 PM   #10
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks Vaskez! I shall be looking at the language.txt file as soon as I get home from work - I hadn't looked at every spell (I'd got through a couple of dozen though - you've just saved me a lot more work)