Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 04:33 AM   #1
cav_again
Manshoon

I'm considering purchasing TOB, since I've already been through BG2 a couple times (and I want to put all these nifty items I've gathered throughout my adventures to use), and I'm curious how long it is compared to BG2.

Personaly, I found BG2 to be realatively long (depending on how you play) and quite engrossing (it was basically the first 'true' RPG I had played), and I'm hoping the TOB expansion pack will give me the same "bang for my buck" that BG2 did.

Also, I'm curious which mods I'll need to remove to install TOB (I have:

Official Patch
Baldurdash fixpack
XP Cap Remover
components of the ease of use mod
and, possibly in the future, depending on how soon after I finish the game this time I buy TOB, the Tactics mod

installed), and will it be possible to just import my characters regardless of what mods I used in BG2?

thanks

[ 09-10-2003, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: cav_again ]
cav_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

ToB is of course shorter than SoA but dfinitely worth buying.
It's a lot more fight-related and has a more linear story. I was a bit disappointed when I bought it first. But the conclusion of an epic story and the character improvements possible with the new XP Cap and some nice abilities are definitely worth every penny of the game.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:07 AM   #3
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

And if you install Ascension Mod, you're in for one hell of a ride.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:15 AM   #4
Cataephract
Dungeon Master

You can find TOB for $10 at some places now, and I thought it worth it paying 30.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:47 AM   #5
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

ToB only really have one side quest of any note. That one is a biggie though.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:05 AM   #6
Legos
The Magister

I just got ToB a few days ago, 5-4-3, i do not remember, and now iīm through with it.
But let me say this, it ROX!
The battle scenes can sometimes be just awesome, you against the horde.
And on the bonus side, most of the fights arenīt the kind of stuff where a bunch of baddies are sitting still, ready to be scouted and bombed to death with spells of mass destrucktion, instead, they seem to just keep coming until the game gives you a pause.
It is far better than clearing those lairs of Beholders in SoA, where you could just bombard the enemy dead from afar, the fighting actually is intresting!

So...
Buy it Buy it Buy it!
Itīs worth every penny.
Legos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Legos:
I just got ToB a few days ago, 5-4-3, i do not remember, and now iīm through with it.
But let me say this, it ROX!
The battle scenes can sometimes be just awesome, you against the horde.
And on the bonus side, most of the fights arenīt the kind of stuff where a bunch of baddies are sitting still, ready to be scouted and bombed to death with spells of mass destrucktion, instead, they seem to just keep coming until the game gives you a pause.
It is far better than clearing those lairs of Beholders in SoA, where you could just bombard the enemy dead from afar, the fighting actually is intresting!

So...
Buy it Buy it Buy it!
Itīs worth every penny.
yeah, ToB is sorta like made for the blood thrust SoA gamers cannot have enough of the battle side of the game (yeah, still not enough for even more blood thurst gamers...therefore, mods...).

about beholders, you can always choose NOT to bombard them from afar.
this should go to ToB forum;
anyway, I think the more intense battle mode in ToB probably is the reason they didn't throw any Beholders group fight in...imagine if they throw two sets of "standard beholder package" (one beholder and two gauths) into every semi-major to major fight, or even come up with a IWD 2 style of field fight with a horde of Beholders...what's our odd to survive?

[ 09-11-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 09-11-2003, 07:38 PM   #8
Devv
The Magister

I used to have the xp cap remover too but it meant that any multi or dual class could reach level 50 in all classes :0 Level 50/50/50 fighter/mage/thief :0 Kinda over the top I found!
Devv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:24 PM   #9
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I completed it in under a day real time.

Though to be fair, I did complete Watchers Keep while I was still in SoA.

Probably only worth the extra money because of the improvement it offers to SoA.

[EDIT] And for the storyline completion [/EDIT]

[ 09-12-2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Dace De'Briago ]
Old 09-12-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
I completed it in under a day real time.

Though to be fair, I did complete Watchers Keep while I was still in SoA.

Probably only worth the extra money because of the improvement it offers to SoA.

[EDIT] And for the storyline completion [/EDIT]
and the special ending that can be added to the game through a mod (which i still can't figure out how to complete)
but IMHO, ToB is a must have [img]smile.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote