Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #81
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Default Re: The Live Elections (Yet another thread on it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Basically, Lavi. doesn't like it when people back their views with silly things like facts.
LOL!!!
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #82
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

Upset Re: The Live Elections (Yet another thread on it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
that speech of McCains was all class, and demonstrates that he was / is a great man. What a shame that we missed out on him for the last 8 years for Bush - beggars belief really.
That he's a great man is nothing new. It's just that he used to be a lot greater *before* he got nominated and started selling down his principles one by one to appeal to a larger base.
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #83
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

Happy Re: The Live Elections (Yet another thread on it...)

Obama inspires historic victory

* Story Highlights
* NEW: Sen. Barack Obama to voters: "This is your victory"
* NEW: Sen. John McCain congratulates Sen. Barack Obama
* Obama projected to win Virginia, a traditionally Republican state
* Supporters in Chicago cheer "Yes, we did"

(CNN) -- Barack Obama told supporters that "change has come to America," as he addressed the country for the first time as the president-elect.

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America -- I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you -- we as a people will get there," Obama said in Chicago, Illinois.

Police estimated that 125,000 people gathered in Grant Park to hear Obama claim victory.

Obama said he was looking forward to working with Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin "to renew this nation's promise in the months ahead." VideoWatch as Obama addresses the country »

McCain on Tuesday urged all Americans to join him in congratulating Sen. Barack Obama on his projected victory in the presidential election.

"I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face," McCain said before his supporters in Phoenix, Arizona.

"Today, I was a candidate for the highest office in the country I love so much, and tonight, I remain her servant," he said.

McCain called Obama to congratulate him, Obama's campaign said. VideoWatch McCain concede »

Obama thanked McCain for his graciousness and said he had waged a tough race.

President Bush also called Obama to congratulate him.

Bush told Obama he was about to begin one of the great journeys of his life, and invited him to visit the White House as soon as it could be arranged, according to White House spokeswoman Dana Perino.

With his projected win, Obama will become the nation's 44th president and its first African-American leader.

Supporters in Chicago cheering, "Yes, we can" were met with cries of "Yes, we did."

More than 1,000 people gathered outside of the White House, chanting, "Obama, Obama!"

Obama's former rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton said in a statement that "we are celebrating an historic victory for the American people." iReport.com: Share your Election Day reaction with CNN

"This was a long and hard fought campaign but the result was well worth the wait. Together, under the leadership of President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and a Democratic Congress, we will chart a better course to build a new economy and rebuild our leadership in the world."

The Illinois senator is projected to pick up a big win in Virginia, a state that hasn't voted for a Democratic president since 1964. VideoWatch how this election is history in the making »

Obama also is projected to beat McCain in Ohio, a battleground state that was considered a must-win for the Republican candidate. VideoWatch more on Obama's Ohio win »

Going into the election, national polls showed Obama with an 8-point lead.

Obama will be working with a heavily Democratic Congress. Democrats picked up Senate seats in New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina and Virginia, among others. Read about the Senate races

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell held onto his seat in Kentucky.

CNN's Ed Henry said there were lots of long faces in the lobby of the McCain headquarters at the Arizona Biltmore hotel as McCain allies watched returns showing Senate Republicans losing their seats. VideoWatch what McCain says about the race »

Voters expressed excitement and pride in their country after casting their ballots Tuesday in what has proved to be a historic election.

Poll workers reported high turnout across many parts of the country, and some voters waited hours to cast their ballots. Read about election problems

Reports of minor problems and delays in opening polls began surfacing early Tuesday, shortly after polls opened on the East Coast.

The presidential candidates both voted early in the day before heading out to the campaign trail one last time. VideoWatch Obama family at polls »

Tuesday also marked the end of the longest presidential campaign season in U.S. history -- 21 months.

As McCain and Obama emerged from their parties' conventions, the race was essentially a toss-up, with McCain campaigning on his experience and Obama on the promise of change. But the race was altered by the financial crisis that hit Wall Street in September.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS...ent/index.html
Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #84
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

That was one of my problems with him - the McCain of 2008 was not the McCain of 2000. That and his choice of running mate.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #85
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Basically, Lavi. doesn't like it when people back their views with silly things like facts.
Yep. Opinions (even "when they're wrong") are more important than researched and backed up truth in Lavi's world.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #86
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
I didn't hear it until tonight.

But supposedly Obama said last week, that if he won, he would employ Mcain, and abolish this red/blue state thing. That he finally wants a United States.

I believe the term he used was "Every state will be Purple".
Yay. A one party system. Yeah that'll do the trick. No annoying things like a "strong opposition party" to give accountability or other such rot.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #87
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Just encountered something interesting on the electoral map. Not that it impacts anything now, but North Carolina was in fact split an even 50% both ways. How does that count out? Is there a recount? Do they toss all the ballots into the air and count only those that fall within a certain area? Mostly curious, cause I've never seen a 50/50 split in a state before.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:59 AM   #88
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

Question Mark Re: The Live Elections (Yet another thread on it...)

Quote:
Just encountered something interesting on the electoral map. Not that it impacts anything now, but North Carolina was in fact split an even 50% both ways. How does that count out? Is there a recount? Do they toss all the ballots into the air and count only those that fall within a certain area? Mostly curious, cause I've never seen a 50/50 split in a state before.
According to CNN:

Obama 2,101,986 50%
McCain 2,089,826 49%

I don't see a tie?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #89
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I was looking at the msn.com map, but more to the point how would that situation be handled, if it were to occur?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 11-05-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:07 AM   #90
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Schlumpf View Post
According to CNN:

Obama 2,101,986 50%
McCain 2,089,826 49%

I don't see a tie?

The popular vote is irrelevant now, as Obama has won more than enough state electoral votes..
Odd how that goes, but it shows just how divided the US is.. I hope we all can come together...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote