Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2002, 06:51 AM   #1
MadMage Omalley
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm thinking about buying NWN mostly because of the module creation aspect of the game. If any of you recall (I'm sure a lot of you do) Unlimited Adventures, that was one of my favorites. It was damn easy to use and you could do quite a lot with it. I was wondering, however, if NWN is the same way. I mean, can anyone just pick it up and start making an epic adventure or is it very difficult and time consuming? I mean, I'm willing to put some time into it but I don't want to drop the money on it only to find that its way over my head. The back of the box was a little intimidating, as I recall, so I didn't get it right away. Anyway, any opinions on this would be appreciated, ie; how hard is it really and how much can you do with it?
Old 09-28-2002, 10:15 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

It's easy as long as you have the right tutorials.
(This is useful as well, and this too. )
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The toolset is quite easy to use. You can paint terrain, items, NPCs, etc fairly easily. You can set environmental settings, lighting, etc pretty easily. you can set up encounters, create items, and set up dialogue fairly easily, and if your mod is a simple hack-n-slash or a persistent world with minimal quests this is very easy to learn.

Scripting what you want is going to be pretty hard unless you a) have a lot of patience and willingness to learn; and b) are prepared to put a lot of hard work in learning how to write them. If you don't have a C++ or scripting background it will be VERY difficult at the start - but not impossible by any means. It's like learning a new language - you need to perservere and put the time and effort in. Once you understand the fundamentals of how the whole scripting thing works it gets a LOT easier - you just need to get past that initial hump. Most times people want to script complicated things - start simple and work your way up as you go. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 11:05 PM   #4
MadMage Omalley
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the advice, I finally went out and bought it. With a little effort and patience hopefully I'll be on my way. Those links look pretty helpful indeed, so I don't think I'll be completely lost, or at least not for too long.