Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
edoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In TotL I ran into some Glabrezu which are next to impossible to kill. Do you have any ideas on how to do this. Thanks.

Loki
edoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 05:11 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

If you're talking about the glabrezu in the caverns, they are summoned by some summoners. Best strategy would be to:

a) kill off the first couple of glabrezu that get summoned; and

b) kill the summoners before they summon any more (they gate in more glabrezu at regular intervals)

To kill off the first couple, make sure that your party has all the requisite buffs (eg. Protection from Evil, Stoneskin, etc). Summon some cannon fodder to put in front of these guys, and hit them with ranged magic weapons or spells. A good combo to use would be Greater Malison, then Lower Resistance to take their MR away - they have fairly high MR. Without doing this it's likely that your spells will be bouncing harmlessly off them.

Try and stay away from fire-based spells like fireballs etc - cold based area attacks do better, esp. after Greater Malison.

Once you've got rid of them, start hammering the summoners. They're a lot easier than the fiends.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:56 AM   #3
edoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks. I will give it a try. However, I haven't seen any summoners yet. They must be further into the cave. I appreciate the help. Without it, I would have been frustrated and quit a while ago.

Loki
edoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Another tip - make your thief hide in shadows or be invisible and creep into that cave to scope it out - the fireballs may not work that well on the demons, but they'll work just fine on the summoners. AOE spells like Cloudkill will work just as well.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Better yet, if you have mage of high enough level, cast MASS INVISIBILITY on the entire party and go as far south to the circle of standing stones. You will probably be detected before you can get all the way in. However, you should be able to get close enough to get ftf with the summoners BEFORE the glabrezus start attacking. The summoners do NOT have a lot of hit points and can be taken out fairly quickly.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:53 AM   #6
ASH SAYS:
Elite Waterdeep Guard

small spoiler
There is also a Sword on this level pretty early on (first room south of the trapped corridor) that can make a big difference. It is a broad sword that deals out double damage and is +4 or 5 vs. these types of daemons.
ASH SAYS: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

This battle didnt really trouble me the second time round. The first time of course I just walked into thinking it was a regular werejackal fight. Then I saw the bats. Then the glabrezu. I gave up after that.

Second time I used, in order, prayer, recitation, haste and Wrath of the Righteous (Im not sure of the name on this last on, but its something like that. Anyway it seems to make you immune to Haste so do use it last). With that up my paladin and fighter were able to dice the glabrezu and assorted trash, while my mage fireballed the bats. Not going to bother hitting them. Then I found the circle of standing stones and cleared it. Two summoners, they managed to summon a third glabrezu which I didnt mind seeing I had two super-tanks and XP is always welcome. There is a third summoner in a later encounter, but he dosent pose much of a threat. In fact he got wiped out by his companions AoE spells and never touched me.