Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2002, 02:38 AM   #1
Smylingsam
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi All,

I'm a Level 28 "War Mage" (my own class) Brenton. I was born under the sign of the Mage. I started the game with ~140 mana points. I now have 198 manpoints and a 99 int. score. My destruction skill is 75 and my other spell skils are about 60. I find that I can cast allot of the lower order spells but since the casting cost of higher spell (say a 40 point fireball for 40 spell points) still remains outof reach for serious use. As an example, it takes almost half of my mana to summon an antoch (81 points for a frost antonach) and a bit more than one tenth of my mana (about 22 points) for a gurteed 20 point elemental effect.

I'm baffled -- how do I get more manna so a single fight does not reuire several standard potions of mana (50 points in 5 seconds) to recover from?

Let me know!!

P.S. It's become a problem now that a quest has set me against 4 bone lords at one time to get a bauble some entity needs :> My Antronach or Bone waler does little good without backup ;>

[ 07-29-2002, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Smylingsam ]
Smylingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 03:31 AM   #2
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

I installed a plugin, which regenerates your mana over time, depending on your willpower. It doesnt help in a fight that much, since the rate isnt too high, but it helps alot, when you finisch one battle and move on to the next.
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 03:32 AM   #3
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Short Answer: Alchemy

Long Answer:

I have a custom class called Warmage (copycat!), Breton, Antronach, level 65. All usefull skills at 100 so are all my attributes except luck.

Unboosted, I have about 500 manapoints, but still have about the same problem as you, since some og my favourite spells cost 120.

The solution, is... Alchemy.

Keeping in mind that:
1/ Spells of the same name are not cumulative but potions of the same name are.

2/ The higher your intelligence, the more powerfull the potions you make are.

So what you can do is make 50 fortify Intelligence potions, drink them all (hotkey helps), you can rise you intelligence to the thousands, and while it is so high you can make really powerfull potions, such as more fortify intelligence potions, restore magika,...

I have scores of potions that fortify intelligence by about 400 for 1000 seconds, that gives a huge mana reserve. Plus potions that restore Magika 60 points for 60 seconds, and so on.

At one points I had an intelligence of about 5,000 with a mana reserve of about 20,000 mana points, just for the fun of it.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:55 AM   #4
Smylingsam
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi Warhammer,

thanks! I grabbed some ash yam and bloat and whipped up a truly vile little cocktail. With my 53 alchmey, I got 37 intellagence poiunt for 107 seconds. Igot about 50 more mana points -- and they were alread "filled up". Now I wonder ... if I drink the potion during a battle (I need to go steal or buy some more ash yam) during a battle doe sthe potion "fillup" all my mana or just the provide the addional mana points off the bat? I guess I'll need to train up my alchemy (it's way too boring to make that many potions! It's boring enough to sit there and fire my little 1 poitn destruction spell 50 times for each level I want!). Guess I should pay a visit to that old slinker!

thanks Again!
Smylingsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:37 AM   #5
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Smylingsam:

I grabbed some ash yam and bloat and whipped up a truly vile little cocktail. With my 53 alchmey, I got 37 intellagence poiunt for 107 seconds.
That's the idea Smylingsam, but that's just the start. Make 10 such potions, drink them all, and make 10 others while under the influence of the 10 first. And so on,... the potions you will make will become more and more powerfull and your alchemy will raise very quickly. Works best if you you have a seller of both Ash Yams and Bloats nearby.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smylingsam:

doe sthe potion "fillup" all my mana or just the provide the addional mana points off the bat?
Depends on how full your mana pool is before you drink the potion.

Say you have 105/140 (75% full) before drinking the potion. After drinking the potion you will still have 75%: 150/200.

Obviously if you pool is full before drinking the fortify intelligence potion you will get the most benefit from it. If it is empty you will get little no no benefit from it.

Hope it answers your question
Old 07-29-2002, 12:17 PM   #6
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

eventually you will get to this point and beyond:

then you can have stats like this:
Old 07-29-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

also when your int is up this high, when you make a restore magika(or health/fatigue) potion you will get potions that will restore 100's or 1000's of points for minutes or hours. these potions are very helpfull in a fight. i was once on a mission to find a staff in some cave, i was doing it at low level and ran into a few deadroths i believe they were (the walking aligator dudes). well they kept poisoning me, and none of my restore health spells or sheild were helping. so i went home got my int and luck up a little. (just a few thousand nothing like above) and made a few restore health potions and a few resist poison potions. the restore health were 88points for 600 seconds. and the resist poison were 216% resistance for 300 seconds. i ran in and drank one of each, then laid waste to them all.