Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2002, 10:47 PM   #1
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The Good News: I'm getting a friend of mine hooked on the BG series, and I'm writing a 100% Spoiler-Free guide for him to use.
The Bad News: The power supply on my computer short-circuited, and utterly fried my hard drive. Yep. Toast. Damn right I'm pissed off. But I promised I'd write that guide, so I guess I'll just do it from memory.....

But I still have a few questions, which I can't answer for myself as I can no longer run BG at home. If the answers for the following questions are different for BG2:SoA as opposed to BG2 with ToB installed, please be as specific as you can about what is true, when.

"And remember, this is for posterity, so please, be honest." -- Count Tyrone Rugen

1) Sorcerers get 3 Lore per level, just like Mages, right?
2) Should Monks be grouped in the Warrior superclass or the Priest superclass? The manual says they're Priests--but they can't cast spells and their job is to beat things to death. Whose hitpoints/THAC0 do they get? What about weapon proficiencies?
3) Exactly what items can Wizard Slayers put in their Quick Item slots?
4) It seems that when combining two classes (such as Fighter/Druid), the character gets the armor skills of the stronger class (in this case, you have a Druid wearing Plate). But if a kit is involved (for comparison, an Avenger->Fighter), does the character have the armor restrictions of the weaker class (a Fighter that can only wear Leather)?
5) Is the Kensai banned from all types of Bracers & Gauntlets, or just those that grant a base AC? What about as a Kensai->Mage?
6) Can Stalkers Backstab with any melee weapon that a Ranger can use (such as a Warhammer), or are they restricted to the Thief's Backstabbing tools?

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, but thanks for whatever accuracy you can help me attain.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:59 PM   #2
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

1. yes
2. They are fighters, they get the fighter stronghold and fighter high level abilities in TOB the only thing they have in common with clerics is the hp they get at level up
5. Im not sure about gauntlets im playing a kensia mage at the moment and are not ver far, but one thing they can wear is mage robes so the robe of venca with AC5 is very useful [img]smile.gif[/img]

sorry I didn't know anything foe the others, hope I helped anyway.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:40 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
1) Sorcerers get 3 Lore per level, just like Mages, right?
Correct.

Quote:
2) Should Monks be grouped in the Warrior superclass or the Priest superclass? The manual says they're Priests--but they can't cast spells and their job is to beat things to death. Whose hitpoints/THAC0 do they get? What about weapon proficiencies?
Warriors - IIRC the game treats them as a warrior "kit" with some special abilities.

Quote:
3) Exactly what items can Wizard Slayers put in their Quick Item slots?
Healing potions I think...don't quote me on this, it's been a long time since I've played a Wizard Slayer.

Quote:
4) It seems that when combining two classes (such as Fighter/Druid), the character gets the armor skills of the stronger class (in this case, you have a Druid wearing Plate). But if a kit is involved (for comparison, an Avenger->Fighter), does the character have the armor restrictions of the weaker class (a Fighter that can only wear Leather)?
Your second assumption is correct.

Quote:
5) Is the Kensai banned from all types of Bracers & Gauntlets, or just those that grant a base AC? What about as a Kensai->Mage?
All types.

Quote:
6) Can Stalkers Backstab with any melee weapon that a Ranger can use (such as a Warhammer), or are they restricted to the Thief's Backstabbing tools?
Any bladed singlehanded weapon that a thief can use. Some people have claimed to have backstabbed with non-bladed weapons (warhammers, maces etc) but I haven't confirmed this.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 02:52 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I was able to backstab with Warhammers before I got ToB... but after I wasnt able to... it was quite odd.... but anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 06:12 AM   #5
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I've never been able to backstab with anything except blades... oh well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:46 AM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
As Memnoch said, warriors. They get the warrior-stronghold, and is 'treated' like warriors through the whole game. This will especially show in ToB.
They're hitpoints/THAC0 is familiar with the Fighter's, and IIRC, they get 4 proficienty points to begin with.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 06:05 PM   #7
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

[quote]Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Quote:
They're hitpoints/THAC0 is familiar with the Fighter's, and IIRC, they get 4 proficienty points to begin with.
actually they only get a fighter's Thac0, hit points are the same as cleric, D8 per level as opposed to the fighters d10
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 08:01 PM   #8
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

And IIRC they get from the fighters Ability Pool [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 03:01 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Minor Correction.

Sorcerers get 1 lore per level up. Not that they care anyway, what with Identify spells galore and Glasses of Identification.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 07:27 AM   #10
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Minor Correction.

Sorcerers get 1 lore per level up. Not that they care anyway, what with Identify spells galore and Glasses of Identification.
Ah yes, the wonderful world of the Glasses of Identification... The best alternative if you don't feel like bringing a Bard along.