Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Ive been wondering for too long a time now, so i gotta ask. What is the difference between the various arrows/bolts in the game? do the heavier, more expensive and rare arrows deal more damage or fly more accurately/farther?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
They just do more damage. The ones i use (area effect arrows) have an impact of an exploding grenade, so it's not wise to use them in crowded places where there's also friendly people around, cause more or less, they all get hit by that one single arrow.

They don't fly further than other arrows, they just have a larger impact. There are lots of different arrows outthere. Some are poisonous, some paralyze the targeted creature, others pierce through armour, etc.....
Old 09-05-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

thanks, but what i meant was: is there a difference between, say a silver arrow and an ebony arrow?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:57 AM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

the difference is the price, you'll be better using iron arrow than a ebony arrow because ebony arrow is expensive.

The real thing that decide is your bow, an iron bow probably can't attack a golden saint but a daedric low bow will.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
thanks, but what i meant was: is there a difference between, say a silver arrow and an ebony arrow?
Yes, that's what i've been telling you. An ebony arrow will have a bigger impact on the targeted creature, but not a longer range or something.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
Oruboris

It is a small flaw in the game that you get the damage numbers for bows, but not arrows.

There does seem to be some difference [talking plain, non-enchanted arrows, here], and it seems to follow the usual progression, with chitin as worst, then iron, steel, and silver each a little better than the last. I'd assume ebony are the best arrows there are, but they're a little rare, and I don't recall coming accross any daedric arrows.

Not really sure where the bonemold would fit in this lineup, the bonemold bows are nice, though. Seems like I've seen a few glass arrows, but not sure there are glass bows.

Dumping the ubiquitous chitin short for a longbow, preferably steel, is much more important than the type of arrows you use in the early going.

In my current game, I enchanted an exquisite amulet with constant effect summoned longbow, spear [great for those endurance multiplyers], long sword and cuirass. Sort of a cheat, of course, but I turned the difficulty way up to compensate, and I'm a packrat, so the extra carrying capacity was the main thing.

ANYhoo, a summoned longbow can easily take out a golden saint, even with really poor arrows and low marksmanship. An iron arrow fired from a daedric bow will kill the undead, whereas an iron sword won't even scratch 'em.

I'd guess each successive class of arrow adds at most one or two points to the attack of the bow...

Oru

[ 09-05-2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Oruboris ]
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #7
GForce

Some arrows/bolts can "ignore normal weapon resistance". Thus, are recommended IF you don't have a bow/crossbow that can also "ignore normal weapon resistance. As far as damage, daedric and ebony arrows are the best for damages. For bolts, I believe its orcish bolts. Now those I mentioned are non-enchanted items. Making any enchantments to them can possibly let them do more damage. IMO, its an easier convenience to just get a bow that "ignores normal weapon resistance" and a supply of iron or silver arrows. It's cheaper and when your Marksman goes up, you can just use the iron arrows with a daedric bow and kill just about anything with one or a few hits.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #8
B_part
Quintesson

Better arrows deal more damage. Better bows do the same.
The pack you punch is a combination o fthe two factors.

Also, daedras resist normal weapons: silver, glass, ebony and daedric arrows/bolts will damage them, others won't. I am not sure about bonemold and orcish.
There is one exception: a daedric longbow (proper or summned) will make any kind of arrow able to hit daedras, even chitin. Dwarven crossbows might do the same with bolts, I am not sure.
Enchanted arrows will always deal their magic damage, no matter what material they are made of. Obviously, magic resistant creatures might not be affected.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:12 PM   #9
Zarzuela
Welcomed New User

Quote:
Originally posted by Oruboris:

I'd assume ebony are the best arrows there are, but they're a little rare, and I don't recall coming accross any daedric arrows.

Not really sure where the bonemold would fit in this lineup, the bonemold bows are nice, though. Seems like I've seen a few glass arrows, but not sure there are glass bows.

Oru
I guess this is a potential SPOILER, but there are about 8 Daedric arrows in one of the Four Corners Quests that the Temple will send you on from Vivec.

Additionally, I think it is because I have the arrow/bow/marksmanship mod added, but there are a couple of glass bows for sale in Ghostgates tower of Dusk basement.

Zarzuela
Zarzuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:44 PM   #10
Necro Nemesis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I like steel arrows ;D

who the hell wants to waste ebony arrows? aren't they worth like 4k gp? by that I mean each..

[ 09-26-2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Necro Nemesis ]