Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2002, 11:25 PM   #21
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
In the Netherlands, you can just link them to your regular bank accounts... Not sure if that's the same in the US.
But which creditcard you will get depends on the bank, actually. At the moment, I have a Mastercard, because my bank provided me with one when I ordered a "creditcard".
I do this in the US now too. My VISA just takes money out of my bank account in Holland, works a treat

Old 10-27-2002, 11:25 PM   #22
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

yes you have to be 18. i was a telemarketer selling cards, 18 is a must, any younger and it's illegal, nad also fixed is best
Old 10-27-2002, 11:40 PM   #23
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
yes you have to be 18. i was a telemarketer selling cards, 18 is a must, any younger and it's illegal, nad also fixed is best
Darn it all! Now, I have to wait another year.. Seems like once you reach 21, all these restriction are done and over with. [img]graemlins/braveheart.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2002, 11:42 PM   #24
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Of course, the laws up here are wacked out...my brother's getting offers in the mail, and he's 12. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2002, 11:45 PM   #25
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

it's funny, like i said i did telemarketing, i did an american airlines frequent flyer card through citibank, so if you put your newborn on it's own aa ff miles program it got an offer/call from us
Old 10-27-2002, 11:51 PM   #26
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
Of course, the laws up here are wacked out...my brother's getting offers in the mail, and he's 12. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Oh yea, and to think I was getting SS benefits when I turned 16.. [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 10:27 AM   #27
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I like Visa, but definately check out who has the best offer.

If you can get one of those interest free for a year deals, that's the way to go because at the end of the year you can transfer the balance to another interest free card. No interest for life if you time it right!
Old 10-28-2002, 10:50 AM   #28
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The baseline Amex is a good card, because you have to pay it in full each month. It's a smart beginning credit card. Otherwise, it's the backing bank more than the Visa/MC name that really distinguishes cards. Go with low interest if you can (hard at a young age) and really really try to find a card with no annual fee (stupid to pay for the right to borrow at near-usurious rates).

Credit cards suck in many ways and I an certainly no shinning example of debt-free living. However, balancing your credit concerns, credit cards are a shortcut to more independent living. Keeping a good credit record will help you in 10-15 years when you want to buy a home. NO credit record doesn't tell a loan officer much.

Plus, I took out a BestBuy card and paid off my new laptop before any interest accrued. It's like layaway, but I get to hang onto the merchandise.

And, nowadays I got a few cards with 10-12% interest rates, and 0% interest as a 6-12 mos. introductory rate. And these rates are coming at me from Visa/MC and Amex (the blue card is really cool).

Be credit smart and savvy. But avoiding it altogether is simply putting of the lesson of debt management you must learn sooner or later.