Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 08:08 PM   #21
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Do you use different profiles?

Some of the more stubborn items have to be removed from within the profile under which they were installed. This usually presents itself with Spybot by it's saying it must run at startup and after you ok it and it runs at your next startup it again says it needs to run at your next startup and so on towards infinity.

I don't know if this is your problem, but it's certainly worth trying.

Also, do you use a firewall like Zone Alarm? If you do, clear your 'allowed' list and start permitting items again one at a time.

Finally, after you are sure your programs are all up to date, try disconnecting your internet, then rebooting and running them again.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:55 PM   #22
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Do you use different profiles?

Some of the more stubborn items have to be removed from within the profile under which they were installed. This usually presents itself with Spybot by it's saying it must run at startup and after you ok it and it runs at your next startup it again says it needs to run at your next startup and so on towards infinity.

I don't know if this is your problem, but it's certainly worth trying.

Also, do you use a firewall like Zone Alarm? If you do, clear your 'allowed' list and start permitting items again one at a time.

Finally, after you are sure your programs are all up to date, try disconnecting your internet, then rebooting and running them again.
actually, i lost the zone alarm, and can nto find the freeware version anymore, there is only one profile, and I have tried everything, and can not figure out ow to keep the adware from coming back after uninstal, the only other option I have, is to have my husband call his friend, and have him walk us through the steps to find where it is hiden, and go from there
Old 11-25-2003, 09:09 PM   #23
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Well, when I am as screwed as you are Stormy, i usually go into DOS and format my partitions, and reinstall Windows. Takes like.....an hour. Ptobably 5 to figure out.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:12 PM   #24
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

But remember, the computer is not something to be taken seriously. You may have paid some bokou bucks, but screaming at wires and machine code wont do a thing. Maybe kicking it will.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:59 PM   #25
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

I'm telling you something that gets run an startup is installing the software you are trying to get rid of. Killing the process that is hijacking your web page is only a temporary measure since it will be right back the next time you reboot your computer.
What is being run at startup? Run msconfig (look in the startup tab) or regedit (goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run) to see what is being run at startup.

[ 11-26-2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: IAmThumper ]
Old 11-26-2003, 01:19 AM   #26
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi Stormy have you trie to go to "Start" then "run" in there type MSCONFIG then push OK and there go to "startup" and "uncheck" ALL the boxes and trie to restart the computer and se if that helps.