Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 08:48 AM   #1
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Does anyone here agree that Tolkien is an acquired taste? I kind of liken him to coffee...you like his writings more as you get older and partake of them more and more.

I recall reading the Hobbit (sp.?) when I was pretty young...maybe 10 or so, and I found it incredibly hard to get through. Populated with long bouts of boredom interspersed with very intersting and entertaining moments. I remember one specific instance in the Hobbit where Tolkien spends almost 3 pages describing a button on a character's vest. Ugh! At the time, I thought that I would die from exhaustive boredom...

I then proceeded to read Lord of the Rings and found it much more entertaining (I'm still 10 at this point, you know...). I then decided to read The Simarillion (sp.?) and could only make it through like 20 pages before I had to put it away. Couldn't stay awake while reading it.

*Now* that I'm older (29), I find Tolkien much more appealing. I find that I have acquired a new appreciation for his writing style and storytelling gifts. Perhaps it is due to me being more experienced in life now, and appreciating an author who takes the time to really bring his world to life for the reader.

I still haven't tried to read the Simarillion or Lost Tales. Are eiter/both worth taking the time to read?

Anyone have any thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I was introduced to The Hobbit by my seventh grade english teacher. I love it. Thn I picked up The Lord of the Rings and couldn't make it throught the second chapter! A friend kept after me to read it and finally I did. I've read those books now probably twenty times! I have always been hooked and I'm 37. Can't wait for the movie!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Sir Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 12:38 AM   #3
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

i agree. i like it (and all of my favorites) more and more every time i read them

------------------
slackerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 01:38 AM   #4
Aurican
Elminster

I'm now on the last of the series, uhh, the Return of the King. I have Silmarillion and plan on reading it when I'm done with this one. I'll get back with you and let you know about it.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Aurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 06:49 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

er....
I could get myself shot here....
But....

I don't like Tolkein.

(Runs away very fast and finds something small to hide under)

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 08:29 AM   #6
dafan

hey Epona have can you say that...you really hurts my feelings when you say that... Tolkien is amazing and I have read the triology 3 times in 1,5 years.. but the Silmarrillion is even better not to mention tales from middleearth

------------------

I'm a protector of good

a seeker of truth

a symbol of light
dafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 07:17 PM   #7
PreciousGollum
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Tolkien has gotten better as I have got older,never had the patience when I was young-and now I think Lord of the Rings is over all too quickly.I used to get bored reading all the long descriptions of the geography,now I appreciate how much it emphasises the change from the peacefull green pastures of the Shire,to the dark,barren starkness of Mount Doom.

Oh I've come over all nostalgic,time to break out the mighty tome once again!

------------------
"It hurts us,it hurts us.It freezes,it bites!"

[This message has been edited by PreciousGollum (edited 04-06-2001).]
PreciousGollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 08:33 PM   #8
Aurican
Elminster

I admit, he did take some getting used to, but overall I think he is good. A little too descriptive, but he did lay down the foundation of all fantasy writing as we know it today...

------------------
Old 04-07-2001, 02:09 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I agree he does take a bit to get used to. Not the kind of guy you'd pick up if you were looking for some light reading.

Think of Forgotten Realms as fast-food - quick, to the point, enjoyable at the time but a year later you'll probably have forgotten the stories (which is why they're so readable). There are exceptions, like Salvatore and Cunningham - they're more like Burger King than McDonalds.

Tolkien is a 7 course banquet - you don't read him everyday and not all of it tastes good, but the more you go/read the more you enjoy him.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 04:23 PM   #10
Aurican
Elminster

Exactly!

------------------