Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 03:02 AM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

playing IWD without how or totl... i just finished wyrms tooth and going to enter lower dorms deep... i have around 650,000 experience per character (have 6 characters: fighter ranger cleric bard thief mage)... seeing how the game is about to end and i barely reached 33% of the xperience point cap i need a place to gain experience... basically a place where if i rest there is a good chance of monsters respawning... can you tell me where is such a place?
i heard that in dragons eye resting might respawn 6-10 wights which give 1500XP each... thats not bad... anyone can tell me where exactly? or point to a better place if you know...

thanks all
Old 12-19-2002, 07:22 AM   #2
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

You might try the 3rd level of Dragons Eye. I've never rested there myself but it would seem like a nasty place. I don't know how it will work seeing as how you've already cleaned it out.
Even though it seems like the game is about to end, it isn't. There are a few more areas yet to go that are full of fights, some of which are with higher level enemies. Also, don't forget to return the various items that may be useful to the druid gardener in the top level of one of the towers in Severed. These are big exp quests.
Another one that some miss:
-
-
-
-
-
-
After taking the potaotes to the hungry gnome, move to the far end of that cave and wait...(this is in lower dorns)
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
Roboghost
Manshoon

I use the (Dorn) Ettin/Blue Mushroom cave [Giant Killer Sling anyone] to practice my combat and gain EXP. Although...it's funny sometimes when a shroom causes one of my characters to run off into the middle of those Ettins!
To clean the cave fast:
Fire, Baby!
1. Summon fire elementals (a Druid makes this REALLY work)
2. Cast Courage and Hope on them (you as well)
3. Cast Protect from Evil on them
4. Cast Haste on them
5. Have your team follow them and have the casters just cast all the fire spells you can memorize (save Fireball when you've assembled a bigger team of baddies) and everyone else missiles 'em to death.
6. Once the Haste spell expires, just finish the current battle...go outside...sleep...repeat.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

ZFR, what difficulty level are you currently playing at?

The experience point cap, I believe, can only be reached in game at the higher difficulty settings.

Another way to get more experience is to increase the difficulty setting. This can give you monsters that do a bit more damage and more monsters in cetrtain areas and it ups the experience point values of everything you do including quests.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:47 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Another place to obtain good experiance is Burial Isle. The under part respawns much like the first part of Dorms Deep (Ettin/Blue Mushroom cave). 4000exp for the drowned dead vs. 3000exp for Ettins. Good thing, is I don't think the Wailing Virgins respawn so its a little easier after the first time through.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 08:03 PM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Opps!!! Sorry about that. I didn't relize you did not have HoW. So the Dorns Deep (Ettin/Blue Mushroom cave) is your best bet.

[ 12-19-2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:07 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyril Darkcloud:
ZFR, what difficulty level are you currently playing at?

The experience point cap, I believe, can only be reached in game at the higher difficulty settings.

Another way to get more experience is to increase the difficulty setting. This can give you monsters that do a bit more damage and more monsters in cetrtain areas and it ups the experience point values of everything you do including quests.
Im playing normal difficulty

now the manual for this game and also for baldurs gate 1 & 2 says:
"There is an experience point penalty for reducing the difficulty of the game below normal. There is not a bonus for playing more difficult games."

so is the manual wrong? do you get more XP for higher difficulties?

also... problem with ettin/ blue mushroom area is that many times i get woken up by orogs... which give little XP.... another good area is level 1 on lower dorms deep which gives fire salamanders... 2000XP each though they can be difficult

and thanks for all who helped,.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #8
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

ZFR, I'm definitely getting a significant experience award increase on the higher dificulty levels. For example I had a 6 character party hit 3rd level before leaving East Haven. My game has HOW installed, however, and I'm not sure if this is an HOW specific change.

A quick way to find out would be to fight a battle or complete a quest on normal dificulty and note the experience given and then reload and repeat the action on higher difficulty and check for a difference.
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:15 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

checked just now... there is no xp increase on higher difficulties..

in HoW there is heart of fury mode which gives more XP and tougher creatures...
thats why you probably got more xp
Old 12-20-2002, 11:20 AM   #10
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Not quite, ZFR. I was not running the game in HOF mode -- apparently the change that HOW makes to the game in adding the HOF option increases experience awards at the other difficulty settings beyond normnal as well.

Too bad, as that would have been a much more satisfying way to build up experience than spending time waiting for monsters to respawn.
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote